Loyal PC gamers finally kicked in teeth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get why everyone assumes only kids play consoles. I'm 25 and I'm not a moron, I can't wait for Civ Rev and I play a 360. I'm excited for Civ Rev because I'll be able to play games against people without it taking forever, and after a while, Civ IV just takes way too long to control ALL your units. It gets boring and doesn't make for a good multiplayer game. Civ Rev is supposed to improve that, which makes it more desirable to me. I enjoy the strategy and micromanaging, and I expect there to be plenty of that in it, but the game has to reduce the amount of time it takes to manage all your units if it wants to expand to a larger audience.

I don't get why everyone assumes only kids play consoles. I'm 25 and I'm not a moron, I can't wait for Civ Rev and I play a 360. I'm excited for Civ Rev because I'll be able to play games against people without it taking forever, and after a while, Civ IV just takes way too long to control ALL your units. It gets boring and doesn't make for a good multiplayer game. Civ Rev is supposed to improve that, which makes it more desirable to me. I enjoy the strategy and micromanaging, and I expect there to be plenty of that in it, but the game has to reduce the amount of time it takes to manage all your units if it wants to expand to a larger audience.

Indeed I usually start getting bored when reaching the modern age because there are too many units and cities. I lose the love and caring for each unit/city the more the game advances.

Yeah, wow! Stupid game developers for wanting more people to play their game! Shame on them.

I was born in an age before consoles. By the time the Atari came out my parents would not buy it for me saying that I was too old for a kids game.

So now as an adult I own two consoles. I love civ to death and am looking forward to playing it on a console rather than a pc just for those days when I need to chill and need something light.

Now I can't wait for CivRev to come out! I will be getting it for Christmas.

While the tone of the OP was over the top, he was not wrong. Everything I have read about this game (despite the denials here) screams that it is a dumbed down Civ for the ADD crowd. It is to Civ what checkers is to chess (and that may be overly generous). I can't imagine why anyone who loves the Civ series on PC would want to play it; I sure don't (and I do have a PS3 and do some gaming on it, although it was primarily bought and used as a Blu-ray player). I can't blame Firaxis for going where the money is, but I don't have to like its implications for PC gaming, which is slowly dying.

While the tone of the OP was over the top, he was not wrong. Everything I have read about this game (despite the denials here) screams that it is a dumbed down Civ for the ADD crowd. It is to Civ what checkers is to chess (and that may be overly generous). I can't imagine why anyone who loves the Civ series on PC would want to play it; I sure don't (and I do have a PS3 and do some gaming on it, although it was primarily bought and used as a Blu-ray player). I can't blame Firaxis for going where the money is, but I don't have to like its implications for PC gaming, which is slowly dying.

Quite a statement. I'm interested in exactly what makes it dumbed down in your opinion.

You can always go further and include more and more advanced stuff and one can claim anything simpler is dumbed down. Why do you want to use the term dumbed down? If the game is more fun, then its a better game. Shogi (japanese chess) is more advanced than chess but it isn't a better game just because of that. And Chess isn't a dumbed down Shogi either, its another variant that plays differently.

I don't get why removing micromanagement is considered by so many to be 'dumbed down' civ...who seriously enjoys micromanagement? and if you do, then why are you playing Civ instead of Master of Orion 3? if that's the criteria, then civ is a 'dumbed down' version of MOO3, thanks to the miles less micromanagement needed.

I don't get why removing micromanagement is considered by so many to be 'dumbed down' civ...who seriously enjoys micromanagement? and if you do, then why are you playing Civ instead of Master of Orion 3? if that's the criteria, then civ is a 'dumbed down' version of MOO3, thanks to the miles less micromanagement needed.

Yeah. What you do with your fewer units and cities in CivRev certainly not removes the need of being smart and good at the game. I always love the first half of the Civ titles best because that is the time when you really bother to take care of everything. In the end as Thrallia says the micro management becomes so tedious that you are not playing optimally anyway.

I disagree completely with this topic. It's great that Civ is moving to console games, and I plan to be one of the first purchasers of this game (well, at least close to the first :lol:) This game will be enough to get those people who play games like "Need 4 Speed" to wake up and get hooked on a game which actually requires you to THINK and is fun at the same time. On the opposite side, this game will get those already loyal to the Civilization games to get ready and/or stay pumped for the date when Civ5 finally comes out. Needless to say, I doubt that Revolution will do anything to turn PC gamers away from the CIv title.

P.S. No, I'm not ratting on anyone who plays Need 4 Speed (I've never even played it), I'm just making a point.

need for speed is brilliant, well at least hot pursuit 2, i loved that game, dam i wish i could play it right now, maybe carbon will be alright.

Yeah, I don't understand why people here are saying that only kids play on consoles. I mean, then who's going to play Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, Resident Evil 4, or God of War?

need for speed is brilliant, well at least hot pursuit 2, i loved that game, dam i wish i could play it right now, maybe carbon will be alright.

from what people tell me, Most Wanted was the best of the Need for Speed games that've come out since the hot pursuit subtitled ones.

yeah, underground 2 was horrible and carbon wasn't much better......the first underground was ok.....

underground was okay, but Hot Pursuit 2 was fantastic, the music, the feel of the car, as it charged thorugh traffic and smashed into the ground after the jump. If i could marry hot pursuit 2, I would! :D

Although i didn't really like the police chopper, it was annoying, still fun to see my car shoot through all it's foliage. (the mines)

SO us console gamers are lazy 13 year olds? huh!? . Better hope we never meet on the street or i''ll knock somthin hard into ya.
Playin' console kinda insinuates that the game doesn't have to be very advanced to be entertaining for you. But hey, you're a Mercan so I respect your choice. Don't let homeland security kick my bum, OK? :shifty:

Playin' console kinda insinuates that the game doesn't have to be very advanced to be entertaining for you. But hey, you're a Mercan so I respect your choice. Don't let homeland security kick my bum, OK? :shifty:

um...how is it that console means it doesn't need to be very advanced? Does that mean Bioshock wasn't 'advanced'? it was exactly the same on PC and console. Perhaps Command & Conquer isn't 'advanced'? Again, console and PC, both versions good. maybe Civilization I wasn't 'advanced'? It was on consoles and PC as well.

maybe the problem isn't with consoles, but with you...

Yeah I don't see how consoles implies the game is less advanced. Because you don't need a keyboard to play it? What if the controller can do everything that the keyboard can?

Yeah I don't see how consoles implies the game is less advanced. Because you don't need a keyboard to play it? What if the controller can do everything that the keyboard can?
I noticed on other forums gamers complained about having to install DMC4 on PS3 HDD so most console gamers like everything to be very simple.
This is probably why there were more hardcore games on the PS than on PS2 and now the Wii is out selling both the ps3 and 360 combined. (Even many years ago (back in C-64) I found most console games were more simplifed including hardcore games like Silent Service.) I find that even some recent PC games seem to be dumb down a bit lately.

P.S. Both Civ1 and Civ2 were ported straight to consoles yet they didn't sale very well. Starcraft was also on the consoles (N64) yet never sold anywhere close to the PC version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom