Quick Questions and Answers

Is Pillaging completely random?
- Maybe a RNG 1-50 gold...???

Is Pillaging anyway influenced by how advanced a unit you are using, type of resource your pillaging, or by the Era that you have advanced...???

-

I know this sounds noobish and ranting but is there any setting to temper down barbarian activity? I was playing this continents map and there is quite a distance between my and the AI capitals. Every single scout I send out gets mobbed by like 4 or so Brutes, Archers and Hand-axes, which is not fun. I also see alot of AI Warriors get mobbed and destroyed.

Can't even continue exploring the continent. InfoAddict says some of the Civs already got more than 3 cities but only found the Capitals, which means they're expanding away from me to the unseen parts of the map.

Don't want to turn off Barbs, I just want them to be more manageable...

I know this sounds noobish and ranting but is there any setting to temper down barbarian activity? I was playing this continents map and there is quite a distance between my and the AI capitals. Every single scout I send out gets mobbed by like 4 or so Brutes, Archers and Hand-axes, which is not fun. I also see alot of AI Warriors get mobbed and destroyed.

Can't even continue exploring the continent. InfoAddict says some of the Civs already got more than 3 cities but only found the Capitals, which means they're expanding away from me to the unseen parts of the map.

Don't want to turn off Barbs, I just want them to be more manageable...

you can play on lower difficulty, they increase the damage your units do to barbs. at prince I think it's 30% or something like that. another way is to open honor. but in all honesty I don't think barbarians should ever be a problem. a few archers and a spearman or two should take them on.

Alternatively you can play on deity and let the AI clear the camps super early.

you can play on lower difficulty, they increase the damage your units do to barbs. at prince I think it's 30% or something like that. another way is to open honor. but in all honesty I don't think barbarians should ever be a problem. a few archers and a spearman or two should take them on.

Alternatively you can play on deity and let the AI clear the camps super early.

Haven't really moved up from Prince yet. I just thought it's possible to like lower the spawn rate, since we also have a Raging Barbarians option. I like have 4 encampments within the revealed portion of the map and since I haven't updated the map (scouts constantly dying) maybe there are additional camps spawned.

On the bright side, them barbs may be the reason other civs are expanding away from my part of the continent.

A question came to my mind; Lets say there is 2 cities, both have 50 strength, owner of the one of them is in Classical Era and the other in Medieval Era. The City in Classical Era attacks their enemies with Arrows and The City in Medieval Era attacks with Catapult/Trebuchet Balls; In this case, their attack strength towards units changes because of their missile types, or their missile type changes just for aesthetic?

I just thought it's possible to like lower the spawn rate, since we also have a Raging Barbarians option.

Sorry, it’s just off/normal/raging.

I like have 4 encampments within the revealed portion of the map and since I haven't updated the map (scouts constantly dying) maybe there are additional camps spawned.

Generally, barb camps needed to cleared out as soon as they are discovered, or you see what can happen! At this point you need archers. At the normal setting, a single archer can clear a camp. At raging, archers need to go out in pairs or bring a warrior or scout -- since the barb camp will spawn a barb once you kill the one sitting on the camp. At least you have a good setup for getting your archers leveled up!

It is too late for your current game, but scouts can be sent out in pairs to clear camps. Once they have +2 vision, scouts can (and should) avoid barbs rather easily. Single scouts (without the +2 vision), as you have discovered, are quite vulnerable. Your starting warrior can stand up to barbs quite well, so next time use him in the beginning at least. He can also back up your early scouts until they get +2 vision.

A question came to my mind; Lets say there is 2 cities, both have 50 strength, owner of the one of them is in Classical Era and the other in Medieval Era.

It would be unusual (maybe impossible, I forget the math) for cities in different Eras to have exactly the same strength, as Era is predominate factor in determining city strength. OTOH, the Classic Era city could be on hill with walls (castles not be an option in the Classic Era) and the Medieval Era city on flat without walls. (In both cases, 50 strength is much too high!)

In this case, their attack strength towards units changes because of their missile types, or their missile type changes just for aesthetic?

It is just for aesthetics, as the bombardment visual effect reflects only the Era, not the city strength.

What happens to Golden Age points during Golden Ages? Do you accumulate Golden Age points from victories for Minutemen or Pracinha, or World Fair's Exhibitor? Do you accumulate Golden Age points from happiness?

I would like to try a huge earth with domination only...i like the idea of x-com wars etc late game

Will the AI 'know' that building spaceships is pointless though? will agression change? or will it gimp the AI completely?

It would be unusual (maybe impossible, I forget the math) for cities in different Eras to have exactly the same strength, as Era is predominate factor in determining city strength. OTOH, the Classic Era city could be on hill with walls (castles not be an option in the Classic Era) and the Medieval Era city on flat without walls. (In both cases, 50 strength is much too high!)

It is just for aesthetics, as the bombardment visual effect reflects only the Era, not the city strength.

First thank you for the answer sir.

Actually not that unusual. Today, on my first Deity Difficulty try, I was in Ancient Era while Maya entered Medieval (shamefur dispray) and one of his city has 11 strength while my city has 14 or something.

And 50 was just an example :)

Again, thank you for your help and your time sir. :)

Regards.

I am not quite sure about how the Enhancer beliefs that enhance the spread of the religion work. Does "spreads 25% faster " (Religious Texts) refer to higher religious pressure, and same for "spreads at double the rate" (Religious Unity )? "Religion spreads to cities 30% further away " (Itinerant Preachers) just means that religious pressure reaches cities further away?

I have often noticed that religious pressure of foreign religions seems to be stronger in most my cities except the holy city, could one factor be such enhancer beliefs?

Afaik, Spreading 25% faster "Religious Texts" reaches nearby cities faster but still in the same distance. And spreading to cities 30% further away "Itinerant Preachers" reaches further cities, like if your religion reaches to cities on 10 tiles away, with Itinerant Preachers your religion reaches to cities 13 tiles away which is more useful, IMHO, if you want to spread your religion to all.

I would like to try a huge earth with domination only...i like the idea of x-com wars etc late game. Will the AI 'know' that building spaceships is pointless though? will agression change? or will it gimp the AI completely?

Yes, if you disable VC, the AI will be aware of that, and play differently. But several AI will still be gimped because their programing (i.e., bias flavors) doesn’t let them adapt to pursuing a Domination Victory. The other factor is that the biggest challenge to pursing a Domination Victory is winning before an AI wins some other way. So, for this exercise to feel satisfactory, I think you have to hand-pick your opponents so that they are all warmongers. Good luck!

What is the trigger in a game that causes a city to request a resource for 'We Love The King Day'? Is it a building built? The moving to a new Era? Discovering new resources on a map?

What is the trigger in a game that causes a city to request a resource for 'We Love The King Day'? Is it a building built? The moving to a new Era? Discovering new resources on a map?

Acquiring the demanded luxury via any means (trade / allying with city state / planting new city and connecting it.)

Yes, if you disable VC, the AI will be aware of that, and play differently. But several AI will still be gimped because their programing (i.e., bias flavors) doesn’t let them adapt to pursuing a Domination Victory. The other factor is that the biggest challenge to pursing a Domination Victory is winning before an AI wins some other way. So, for this exercise to feel satisfactory, I think you have to hand-pick your opponents so that they are all warmongers. Good luck!

More precisely, disabling spaceship victory disables building Apollo (and indirectly all spaceship parts). However the flavors instructing the AI to build are not affected. (Among the numerous separate flavors are science, culture, land units, naval units, world wonders, allying with city states ...) So the high flavor ones will effectively still be trying to win a cultural victory and going getting faster process thru policy trees.

Acquiring the demanded luxury via any means (trade / allying with city state / planting new city and connecting it.)

I understand that acquiring the resource they desire through those means will trigger WLTKD. But what triggers the city to first desire/request the resource in the first place?

I understand that acquiring the resource they desire through those means will trigger WLTKD. But what triggers the city to first desire/request the resource in the first place?

I think it's random...usually 10 turns after you plant the city from my experience. But after you fulfill the quest and WLTKD ends it refreshes immediately. Love it when Indonesia's in the game and my cities start asking for cloves/pepper/nutmeg

Can someone explain me how this is possible? This is the most annoying thing I've ever seen. Somehow my neighbour's cultural border expansion continue beyond my own borders.

Spoiler :

Top Bottom