Civ 5 digital deluxe coming exclusively to Steam! Steamworks confirmed!

That's quite lot for useless background app. Only program on my system that consumes more is my internet security suite with ~37k, next comes scvhost at ~29k, then csrss at ~27k, then couple printer related apps at 15 - 20k each, the rest is under 10k. Let me show how much GOG.com and GamersGate clients use... wait, neither has one! :D :sarcasm: :p

Not everybody is still using a 386/4MB with dos 6.0.

After install and connection can I unistall Steam - No ?

How are ANY of these better than Steam?

GOG.com
DRM Free
No client
Same prices for everyone (5.99$/9.99$)
No regional restrictions, all games available globally
Additional extras with most games
Download installer -> you can install it anytime anywhere you want without internet connection.
No internet connection required other than browsing site, downloading and multiplayer.
All games patched to latest version available.
(BTW, were you a kid in 2007 as thas where newest games at GOG are from)

GamersGate
Some games are DRM free (mostly PDox own)
No Client
There is way to backup fully functioning installers -> you can install some of them anywhere and anytime you want without internet connection (does not work with all 3rd party titles with DRM)
separate standalone patches <- the only good way to patch games, forget automatic crap
Great game catalog (~2000 titles, some casual and various editions)

Steam
Largest catalog

Both GG and GOG are way way superior to Steam in all aspects except game catalog size and provide better service for me. I only play singleplayer, I could care less about (online)achievements or any other online features for that matter, only community feature I'll ever need is community forums.

GOG.com
DRM Free
There's DRM, no modern game has no DRM. Maybe no proprietary DRM, but it still exists.
No client
Steam is currently using 14 mb of RAM on my system. That's terrible, who would use a system hog like that?
Same prices for everyone (5.99$/9.99$)
That's because most of the games weren't released in the past 10 years
No regional restrictions, all games available globally
Steam has the same.
Additional extras with most games
As does Steam
Download installer -> you can install it anytime anywhere you want without internet connection.
...You can install without an internet connection? I'm pretty sure that's impossible, but I'm probably just misunderstanding the question. Please explain.
No internet connection required other than browsing site, downloading and multiplayer.
Same with Steam
Same with Steam
(BTW, were you a kid in 2007 as thas where newest games at GOG are from)

GamersGate
See above, no game released after 2006 doesn't have DRM
No Client
See above
There is way to backup fully functioning installers -> you can install some of them anywhere and anytime you want without internet connection (does not work with all 3rd party titles with DRM)
That's really really impossible, and I am confuse.
separate standalone patches <- the only good way to patch games, forget automatic crap
I'm pretty sure you can turn off updating. Why are you so adamant about Standalone patches? Just curious
Great game catalog (~2000 titles, some casual and various editions)

Steam
Largest catalog.

Have you ever used Steam before? Besides, Internet is only required at time of download/install. It's far and away the best direct to drive service available.

I'm rather stunned that the controversy is more about steam than the fact that you can apparently only get Babylon (and a map pack) if you pay $10 extra. Overall this greatly reduces my view of Civ5.

This is awesome news. Steam has become a litmus test for me at this point, if a game is not available on steam I won't buy it. I'm glad that they are going with Steamworks instead of Gamespy (talk about a resource hog) so multiplayer will actually work unlike Borderlands.

I agree. the alarming pattern is paying 10 dollars for one civ extra. Like ETW and it's Units of the East, 12 units for 8 dollars. Bad sign, very bad sign. They obviously made it all already, but holding out Babylon for 10 dollars rather than including it in Vanilla is just scary. Hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

I just moved out on my own, and cannot afford an internet connection. Does this mean no Civ V for me because of steam? For those wondwering, Im at my Moms house using her connection.

:p no worries. I do excactly same when steam fanboys do the same with other DD services. For some reason they don't take the 5 minutes to look at the other DD servises either :D So while we're having fun with each others expense, you could tell me how to use steam without installing steam client so I could test it :p:crazyeye: If you can tell me that I promise I'll try Steam. Agreed? :goodjob:

I'll tell you how to use STEAM without installing STEAM if you can tell me how to play CIV 4 without using a computer.

Bit disapointed by the lack of content in the Deluxe edition TBH. Regardless, its bought. Now to wait for the pre-load date.

There's DRM, no modern game has no DRM. Maybe no proprietary DRM, but it still exists.

Err, you lost me. I was talking about GOG.com games and none of them has any DRM at all, none. Many of them have had one DRM or other at some point(starforge, securom, tages, you name it) but DRM is removed before game is made available at GOG.

That's because most of the games weren't released in the past 10 years

It was more about not having 1$ = 1€ = 1£ crap steam and some other DD services have. No regional pricing either, every game costs either 5.99$ or 9.99$ on GOG. Personally I wouldn't mind more and highter price points to allow more and newer games at GOG but that might require renegotiating all their contracts.

No regional restrictions, all games available globally.
Steam has the same.

Last time I checked steam did have regional restrictions, lot of them actually to the point that a game pumble that was advertised to have four games only had three in some regions due to game not being available in that region. (it's been awhile but steam store is acting up currently so I can't verify right now if it's still the case).

Same with Steam.

Very funny. Steam check home when internet connection exists. You can't even play the games if steam detects updates being available until you allow updates. There probably are games on steam that reguire constant internet connections due to steam or 3rd party drm settings (I've read not all games support offline mode). Games have to be verified when installing and when setting offline mode (automatic probably but require internet connection). Backups probably can't be restored without connecting steam network either.

...You can install without an internet connection? I'm pretty sure that's impossible, but I'm probably just misunderstanding the question. Please explain.

On GOG you download drmless standalone installer (like you would download any freeware or open source game) you can move to internetless computer and install it there. You can even install in all computers in your household if you like so one game is enough for family lan games (internet play keys are available at reguest. I don't know if you can get more than one per account.). I repeat, DRM does not exist in GOG.com. You only have to be logged in to your accound to be able to download. The installer itself never calls home. I could take my game backup drive and install the games on in every computer in the world and GOG would not know about it. I don't obiously, they trust us so we respond in kind (amazingly very few GOG installers have turned up in torrent sites, shows the dedication of the GOG community. I'd probably find lynch mob outside my door soon after I'd done the above install spree :p).
See here for further details.

Same with Steam

As far as I know (I've read number of complaints about this) some of the older games are never patched and some games can take months to patch after developer releases the standalone patches. GOG games rarely need further patching as no more patches are coming to them, pathces are always already integrated to installer files.

GamersGate
See above, no game released after 2006 doesn't have DRM

The Paradox own game installers are DRM free at gamers gate, even their latest releases. Only 'drm' medhod they themselves employ is the small downloader app (game specific) that encrypts the installer exe file upon completion of the installation (the installation does not install any DRM drivers, you could, in theory move the installed game to other computer if you know how to edit registry). Generally you'd have to use the downloader app to decryopt the installer file to use the installer again but there is widely known workaround (known by GamersGate staff no less) that allows you to copy the unencrypted installation files before installation finishes (see below).

That's really really impossible, and I am confuse.

GamersGate has no real client program. The way you download their games from your account is you download small downloader file (game specific, it's miniature version of programs like getright and download accelerator) run it and it starts to download game files. Once the download is complete it starts installation process. If you don't click continue at that moment you can just go to download folder and make copy of the whole installation folder and voila you have unprotected game installer that never calls home. This works on all paradox games and probably with all games without DRM (Indies mostly) but I've read it works at least with some DRM containing games as well. Obviously any game installer with DRM that calls home or that require activation will require internet connection for installation at least. I don't know of any game in GG that require constant internet connection however.

I'm pretty sure you can turn off updating. Why are you so adamant about Standalone patches? Just curious

In other topics people claim that steam calls home the moment it finds open internet connection and if there are steam or game updates you must allow those first before you can play any games. Also have anyone actually tested if the offline mode has any time limits (will it demand connection at some point)?

As for reason for prefering standalone games and patches. Thats just the way I like them and I like to have controll over the process. Automatic updates can sometimes fail (last one was actually Civ4BtS patch; it got stuck and never completed and I had to do full reinstall. I also like to feel that I own and have controll over the games I've bought so I've cracked most games I've bought ever since I encountered first one probably around decade ago. I feel it's within my rights to do practically anything I wish with the software I've bought; It's mine the moment I handed over the cash. Only thing I don't do with them is distribute copies of the games I own, pretty much anything else goes.

Have you ever used Steam before? Besides, Internet is only required at time of download/install. It's far and away the best direct to drive service available.

No and never will as long as there is mandatory client, period (I was Valve fanboy until they invented Steam). If it was optional multiplayer component like gameranger or gamespy(? I've not checked what clients are out there for more than half decate) and the like, I might consider trying it (standalone installers, standalone patches etc.). I don't multiplay, care about online content and only community feature I need is forums. GOG.com and GamersGate are just perfect DD services for me. There are only couple problems (GOG: 214 titles [I own 72 of them currently, 12 more waiting at my wishlist) currently, growing ~2 titles per week, all games are 3 years old or older. GG: ~2000 titles, also most non Paradox titles at GG have some sort of DRM).

I just moved out on my own, and cannot afford an internet connection. Does this mean no Civ V for me because of steam? For those wondwering, Im at my Moms house using her connection.

Sounds like no Civ5 for you sir, unless you can get your computer's Steam in offline mode at your mom's house that is.

I could check if Playstation 3 running linux could run it using wine; Playstation 3 is a console not computer you know ;):lol: Somehow I doubt it unless civ4 can be run in software mode.:D

PS3 is PPC, can't run games even if you run wine :(
I was very sad when I found out I couldn't harness the 8-core madness that is the PS3 as a renderfarm or super gaming pc.

Wrong, actually.
Some games require a connection for some ******ed reason.

Honestly, Steam's only flaw is that it's really, really easy to steal someone's account.
Really, -really- easy. Even compared to stealing youtube and myspace accounts.
This is bad for two reasons:
1. Everything you bought is attached to that account.
2. They really, really suck at account recovery.

There's also a few minor flaws like random bans because your IP address has changed ever so slightly which means you must be multiple people sharing an account, and some difficulty as far as modding is concerned.
However, both of these aren't that common (and the latter will be avoided if Firaxis is smarter than Bethesda, Rockstar, and Bioware.)

I already promissed to try steam if someone provided me a way described in post 46. :D

Spoiler :
And it's as pointless to try to convince me to use steam client as it's for me to try to convince you to stop using it. I will never ever install it in any of my computers, period. So can we agree to disagree? Here, have some popcorn :popcorn::D

"I will never ever install it on an of my computers."

Sometimes it's best if you want people to agree to disagree, not to say things that would generally evoke a strong emotional reaction. I cringed a bit, to say the least.

*grumbles to self*

@jecrel
Ya i guess thats my only legal option.

I just dont like the fact that I will not be able to go an physically buy this game and play it. Im not that sure if my comp would be able to use my moms connection because of her ip and my comp not being hers and that screwing up my chances of dling or activating the dvd that way. Then if that didnt worked id be stuck looking for a crack and or becomig a pirate!? If thats what it takes then f fraxis because 1 i dont have a connection so they must account for that variable when going the steam route, and 2 if that is the case then f them for not caring about me as a consumer and as a willingly paying customer. When i go and buy a coffee at dd i dont have to go out back to the obstacle course before i can drink my coffee.

@jecrel
Ya i guess thats my only legal option.

I just dont like the fact that I will not be able to go an physically buy this game and play it. Im not that sure if my comp would be able to use my moms connection because of her ip and my comp not being hers and that screwing up my chances of dling or activating the dvd that way. Then if that didnt worked id be stuck looking for a crack and or becomig a pirate!? If thats what it takes then f fraxis because 1 i dont have a connection so they must account for that variable when going the steam route, and 2 if that is the case then f them for not caring about me as a consumer and as a willingly paying customer. When i go and buy a coffee at dd i dont have to go out back to the obstacle course before i can drink my coffee.

From experience I've only used my Steam account on another computer once with a completely different IP, and it had no real problems to speak of. I think you should be fine activating it if you do activate it there. But yes, it does sound like a hassle if the internet connection isn't readily available.

Top Bottom