March Patch Notes (formerly february)

Status
Not open for further replies.
90% of the crap on that list is just more nerfing. :(

Firaxis have no clue what direction they want for Civ5.

Scaled up tech costs throughout the game (slight change for early eras; close to double for Modern)
Thank god. I was tired of those 19th century space races.

Cities must now have three or more tiles in between them (1 more tile than before), unless separated by a sea/coast tile.
Also nice, this is about as close as I ever want my cities to be anyways.

Yeah, I think I need to see how it feels.

I like the changes to give bonuses to tiles from buildings (ie. stable, granary, etc...) as well as more changes over time (mine, trading post).

Definitely some good tweaks. Hopefully it actually will be even more balanced, then they can focus on fixing up the interface and the AI.

Ah good, another patch. Every patch helps make this game better :D

I like the part about the extra cows

I'm most excited about the improvements in turn-times. Probably 80% of all my feelings of not wanting to play stemmed directly from all my feelings of not wanting to wait.

I'm game to give this a try. It's hard to predict how so many changes will affect game play without actually trying it. Perhaps the effect will be greater than the sum of its parts.

What, exactly, is more nerfing?

Mainly the hits to the ICS strategy.

--Cities must now have three or more tiles in between them (1 more tile than before), unless separated by a sea/coast tile.
--Cities now only get 1 free production and 0 free gold (1 less in both cases)
--Trade routes get bonus gold based on population of capital; formula changed a bit so minimal gold received for hooking up very small cities
--Allied maritime city states provide 3 food per turn to the capital, not 4
--Reduced Colosseum happiness to 3, and reduced maintenance to 2 gold
--Reduced Theatre happiness to 4

I'm not 100% sold that a 1-3 city "empire" should be on equal footing as a continent-spanning empire, but w/e, I never really got the hang of ICS anyway so I'm not too bothered.

I can't help but notice the line of sight bug isn't on the list of bug fixes. Maybe it falls under the generic "bug fixes and tweaks" section, but since that one has been making us throw our hands up and yell WTF, firaxis, WTF since day one, I'd think they'd specifically mention it.

Other thoughts:

Significant turn time improvements.
Better be -.- My system is way too good for the wait times in the late game, even on standard maps.

User warned if about to declare war on a city state that is under protection of a major power
Sounds good on paper, but what moron plans a war with a CS w/o seeing who the ally is first? So it's just one more spam notice to click through, great.

Avoid cascades of denunciations against a single player. AI now uses its own current friendliness level with a given power to determine how much weight to place on a denunciation against that power.
This is the one that has everyone cheering, but I'm skeptical. Problem is, diplo is still broken and that means you'll still get denounced out of the AI's stupidity. Remove a civ from a game and everyone will hate you for being a war-monger. Sure they may check to see how they feel about you before joining the cascade, but how they feel about you will have taken a hit already from killing the other civ, so you'll still get denounced. The way it should work is, if the AI is friendly with you and hostile to the civ you killed, they should like you more. If they're friendly with you and neutral with them, there should be no change. If they're friendly with both, they should like you less. Oh by the way, I still see no added options to make the AI friendly with you, including what should be obvious things like "you agreed to help us in our war." Yeah, you'll still get no credit for doing that. Then called a war monger when you succeed. then denounced by the civ that asked for help in the first place. Diplo is still broken, period. This changes nothing.

Denunciations expire after 50 turns
Declarations of Friendship expire after 50 turns

Because it's not already hard enough to try to keep track of who is friends with who.

Fix situations where AI demeanor and verbiage didn't match friendliness level shown in diplomatic status string.
This was a bug? I thought it was their attempt at "backstabbing." I guess the AI will be able to backstab more successfully now? I'm not excited, but some people may enjoy that I guess.

Nuclear and Solar Plants now require Factory but increase to production is now 35% and provide 4 production themselves; these two now mutually exclusive
I hate this one a lot. a LOT. a looooottttttttttttt. a lot. A loooootttttttt. This means you'll not only need coal for factories, but solar/nuclear plants as well. A solar or nuclear plant that requires coal, wonderful idea -.- wonderful -.-

Academy increased to 6 Science.
Landmark increased to 6 Culture.
Manufactory increased to 4 Production.

This I might like. I'll have to see what the new consensus is on GP improvements vs burn-abilities.

Representation: Each city you found will increase the cost of your next Policy by 33% less. Also starts a Golden Age.
ok, someone do the math for me on whether or not this makes a culture victory viable for big empires. either way it looks like liberty is going to replace commerce, patronage, or order on the must-have social tree list for the culture victory. Even if you only have one city it's like a free Micheal Angelo's chapel.

I'm glad resources like cows, and sheep actually mean something now, before they pretty much felt useless. Hopefully now city placement will become even more important and when the AI goes crazy ICS lots of those cities will fall far behind due to a lack of good resources. I hate ICSing AI

Atolls are small islands made of coral that have a lagoon or something similar in the middle of them. I am not sure how that would make sense in the game.

I'm glad to see them making an effort, and they are listening to the gripes and complaints of the real fans of the game. Some people are born to whine and and will never be happy. I don't see how this patch can be viewed as negative whatsoever...

Atolls are small islands made of coral that have a lagoon or something similar in the middle of them. I am not sure how that would make sense in the game.

I just realised how stupid my question sounded. I know what Atolls are, I just meant in the sense of Civilization V

I have modded the files significantly, and somewhere in the PostDefines logic, the AI is receiving both the AIUnhappinessPercent of the player chosen setting as well as the starting happiness of the Chieftan difficulty for players.

So anyone who thinks "Prince" is the no-handicap level... think again.

Trade routes get bonus gold based on population of capital; formula changed a bit so minimal gold received for hooking up very small cities

AWESOME.

Hospital adds 5 food (but no longer retains food)

AWESOME.

Allied maritime city states provide 3 food per turn to the capital, not 4

ok, that blows.

Its a shame though they didn't beef up some of the civs weak UA's other than Montys...oh well.

I imagine atolls to be non-navigable sea plots perhaps? Or sea plots with production?

I imagine atolls to be non-navigable sea plots perhaps? Or sea plots with production?

Possibly. Maybe they are oceanic island tiles which can be settled, but also can be navigated pre-city by naval units?

They needed to increase science costs which they did, but they also needed to increase Research Agreement costs or do something else with them, i'm now still going to spam them every chance i get so those near 100% increased cost modern techs will still be instant for me. :rolleyes: :wallbash:

i just don't get how they can make a change like that & forget to balance Research Agreements which are directly involved in its balancing. :confused:

I really hate having half my techs end up been instant everygame... Please change this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom