[MOD] MagisterModmod

Ok I made a lvl 14 unit and entered the ring of carcer but i didn't get her is a diferent way to get her in your mod ?
And why you made scouts able only to defend I like to scout rush when I play svarts :p and the same whit there world spell "veil of night" deception is a long way

Brigit is acquired not simply by entering the Ring of Carcer, but by casting a spell on the tile. The spell require not only level 14, but also the Fanaticism technology and a non-Evil Alignment. The spell also turns the player Good.

(Freeing Odio requires a spell that can be cast on Odio's Prison's tile, which requires level 11, the Rage technology, and a non-good alignment. It turns the player Evil.)

Scouts were made defensive only so that they could move through rival territory with a Rite of Passage Agreement rather than needing to wait until you can establish an Open Borders agreement.

Veil of Night should require Deception, especially since it converts all living combat units without a religion to the Council of Esus an gives them Marksman so that they can not only choose to attack the weakest units in stacks but also become Hidden Nationality whenever they like.

In my Windows XP computer the right place for the BUG Mod filder found within that zip archive seems to be either C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword or C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword. I tried the former first and found it worked, before noticing that everyone had been recommending the latter. I tried it instead, and found it seems to work just as well.

I'm using Win7 and copied it to C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword and I can't see the name of your mod anywhere. Did it just overwrite FfH2 as is so I just load FfH2, or am I missing something?

My mod should not be placed directly in the BtS folder. What should go in the BtS folder is the BUG Mod folder containing the .ini files required in order to avoid BUG related error messages. (I do not believe that these errors effect the mod's functionality at all, but they can get annoying.) The archive containing this folder can be found here. Note that this is not required if you have the full BUG mod installed under CustomAssets, but then you need to disable (delete or change the name of) Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\CustomAssets\python\entrypoints/CvGameInterfaceFile.py if you want my mod to function properly.

My mod should be located in Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods, along with all the rest of the mods that work with the BtS expansion. The download in the first post contains only those portions of the Assets folder that are not identical to the Assets folder of normal FfH2. You may copy my Assets folder into the Fall from Heaven 2 folder to overwrite the differing files and then load my mod under the FfH2 name. Alternately, you may first make a copy of the FfH2 folder, rename it, and copy my Assets folder into that. (I would personally recommend the second option, so you still have a clean version of FfH2 and can play either mod as you choose.) Note that you do not needs to include the Resources or Public Maps folders in the copy, only Assets. Also note that you must keep the Resources folder within a folder called Fall from Heaven 2 within the Mods folder.

Ok.... I'll try... but that's not a simple explanation for those of us who are new to this whole thing....

Ok.... I'll try... but that's not a simple explanation for those of us who are new to this whole thing....

true... installer would be very welcome. Player numbers would rise high... mod is great.

Ok thas put some light on this isues and yes I didn't knew I could rescue Odio to or dig him out of the ground... now I am off to play :)

I guess the main issue there is that I have no idea how to go about making an installer. I guess I can look into learning how though.

--------

I just heard back from the shop about my laptop. Overheating has completely destroyed the video card. A new motherboard is required. They don't have any of the right kind in stock and have not found one anywhere in my state. The guy who just called said that he is waiting to hear back from a warehouse in LA and was just about to check the internet to see if he can find it cheaper used. He says he'll call back at around 4:30 this afternoon with a list of price options.

bad luck there..
that's the issue with laptops :D

I don't know if this was intended, but my game last night the Sheaim built Infernal Gate twice after Clan of Embers, so there were 3 different Infernal leaders. I don't know if more were on the way, as I ran into a WoC problem. I have posted the save game. I experimented with the Full of Resources map option.

Edit: I noticed Basium did NOT attack AV civs (probably intended).

Edit: Oh, and no barb ships whatsoever.

Attachments

• Hyborem AD-0189.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1 MB · Views: 173
I don't know if this was intended, but my game last night the Sheaim built Infernal Gate twice after Clan of Embers, so there were 3 different Infernal leaders. I don't know if more were on the way, as I ran into a WoC problem. I have posted the save game. I experimented with the Full of Resources map option.

Any civ can build the Infernal Pact twice. This is intended. Each pact allows another the different Demon Lord to enter Erebus, and if you stay friendly enough with them to make them join in your wars (or just undercouncil them into it), then every time an evil unit dies, you'll have more and more demonic friendlies getting lots of manes to help the war effort.

Well, until they get bored and direct that war effort towards you, I mean, but hey. Legions of hell. What are you gonna do?

I presume you mean that they completed the Infernal Pact ritual twice, as there is no such thing as the Infernal Gate.

The Infernal Pact ritual has a world limit of seven (one per possible Infernal Leader) and a team limit of two. Having a civilization complete it twice is perfectly normal. (I'm thinking of changing the team limit to 3, as the numbers 7 and 3 are more thematically appropriate.)

I changed it so that instead of automatically declaring war on on AV civs, Basium instead gets -2 a diplomatic penalty towards a civilization every time it creates a unit with the Demon or Unholy Taint promotion.

------

I just heard back about my computer. It would cost a minimum of $245 + tax for them to repair. They charge $65 for their labor, and have to spend $180 in order to get the cheapest compatible replacement motherboard shipped from England. That is a refurbished one; a new one would cost over $400.

I am not willing to pay that much, considering that for $100 more I could get a decent new laptop to replace it. I'm about to go pick up the old one, remove its hard drive, and donate the rest to a charity that I know takes old computer parts.

Does anyone have an recommendations on the best laptop for under $400? That (plus a $20 Best Buy gift card) is the most I can afford to spend. Right now I'm looking into this one and this one.

Also, any recommendations on a good cooling pad? My mom has agreed to buy that for me, so long as it is under $50. If not given a better suggestion, I'll probably go with the same kind I had last before. Its cord broke within a month of the warranty wearing out, but it would probably have lasted longer if I hadn't carried it around campus with me.

I actually like these changes, however it might lead the Infernals being more powerful compared to the Mercurians. Yes, I indeed meant Infernal "Pact". It's an interesting twist that each Infernal starts by taking over another AV city (I think).

You may have missed my edit, but I noticed no Barbarians at Sea.

I think I may have installed it wrong after all. I've been playing for a while and I haven't noticed any differences. :(

It's an interesting twist that each Infernal starts by taking over another AV city (I think).
I figure MC can explain this better than me.
The Infernal Pact ritual summons a random Demon Lord, grants a diplomatic bonus from the Demon Lord, and grants peace with the Barbarians. The Infernal player immediately steals a city if a valid target is available. To be a valid target the city must have the Ashen Veil religion present, must not be a capital, must not belong t another Infernal player, and must not belong to the player that summoned this Demon Lord. If no valid city exists, the plot where the Infernal's units are crated will be given the Hellfire improvement.
I think I may have installed it wrong after all. I've been playing for a while and I haven't noticed any differences. :(
Perhaps a step-by-step guide might help you.

1. Go to your "Beyond the Sword" folder. The easiest way to find it is to right-click your Civilization 4 or Beyond the Sword shortcut, either on your desktop or in your start menu, and choose "Go to file location", or possibly "properties" and then "go to file location".
  2. Go to the "Mods" folder (The one in "Beyond the Sword, not the one in "Civilization 4"). In here should be a folder named "Fall from Heaven 2". Hopefully, this is a completely unaltered version of Fall from Heaven 2. I think other FFH2 mods need this to be here to work.
  3. Copy this folder. Rename the copy. Mine is "Fall from Heaven 2 Magister's Modmod".
  4. Now go into the new copy.
  5. In a new window, find where you downloaded Magister's modmod.
  6. Make sure you've extracted the files so that it's a normal folder, not a 7zip file.
  7. Copy the assets folder from here, and paste it in your "Fall from Heaven 2 Magister's modmod" folder.
  8. Your computer will start copying it. Now and again it will tell you that there are two files with the same name, and ask you what it should. Relax, and gently tell it to "copy and replace" the new file. Do this every time. Occasionally, you may wish to hug your computer. If you do, then feel free to.
  9. Once the copying is finished, you should be ready to open CivIV, load the "Fall from Heaven 2 Magister's modmod" and start playing.

If this still doesn't work, make a small shrine to the developers, and offer them anyone you find on the street.

OK, I'm having no end of trouble. Winzip will not extract the Bug file. What do I do? :wallbash:

That Targus looks fine, though http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834997730 has a similar rating and supposedly dropped in price.

I usually order from Newegg.com as they are quick & cheap, and haven't had any return issues.

Regarding Laptops, well Newegg had 3 Asus laptops under 400$, and the one for 379$ had the best ratings at
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230265

I'll look into those. Thanks.

Edit:
That cooling pad happens to be the only kind that they sell at the place I had the diagnostics done. The guy there said that it works well but is really only suited for using at a desk. As I like using my laptop on my lap and watching streaming movies in bed with it on my stomach, I'd strongly prefer one with side intake and a bottom softer than exposed rotating blades. He said that one of his best friends is happy with a Targus just like my old one, but that he much prefers his Logitech Lap Desk. He claimed it is about the same price and still has 2 fans, but also has an off switch and spare USB ports. I forgot to ask for its specific model though, and have not found that kind yet. The only Logitech model at BestBuy has a single fan, and is clearly meant for smaller machines.

When I asked for advice on what kind of laptop to get for <$400 his initial answer was that I should avoid anything in that price range. He said that entry level laptops start at $450 and anything cheaper is normally poorly made. He then expressed that he was a big fan of refurbished computers, since quality control tests only 1 in 10 new machines but every refurbished one. He also admitted that occasionally a store will have an exclusive deal with a manufacturer that brings the price of a decent laptop down under $400. He said he would not trust a $379.99 Toshiba, but that the $349.99 Asus (which Amazon claims has a list price of $899.99, although I haven't found it actually selling anywhere for over $460) could be a good deal.

I stopped by BestBuy on the way home from picking up my old laptop. The first saleswoman seemed pushier and once I shied away from the much more expensive models she was pushing recommended that I act fast to get that Asus. I then double checked online though and found that it was not available for shipping and is not in stock anywhere near here.

The second salesman took more time to listen to how I use my laptop and what went bad with my last one. He insisted that as someone who burnt out my last video card and lost a motherboard in the process, I should really have a machine with a dedicated graphics card. He said that among everything they sell this is the best suited for my needs. He claimed that it would last me a lot longer than any of their cheaper models. With tax it costs about $10 more than I have now, but if I put it on my mom's BestBuy credit card I won't have to pay anything for 18 months. They do not have any in stock at that location, but they do at the next closest branch, they are getting more soon here, and I could have it shipped for free to my house if I order online. I think I am leaning towards this one, but will continue to look for better deals online before making a final decision.

Edit: I just looked up the graphics card, and it seems that the salesman lied about it having a dedicated graphics card. My research shows that it has one of the best integrated graphics cards on the market with comparable performance to an entry level dedicated graphics card, but that frying the graphics card would still ruin the motherboard. Come to think of it, I am pretty sure that the sign there clearly said that the graphics card has 512mb memory that it does not share with the CPU. Maybe that is not the same as having a dedicated graphics card and he just chose not to correct my confusion.

You can see a side by side comparison of the two I am now most strongly considering here. Note that the Toshiba is $100 cheaper at BestBuy.com than NewEgg.com and with my gift card would be reduced to exactly the same price as the Asus, but would take a week longer to get to me. Edit: It appears that they actually just got a new shipment at my local store, so I could pick one up immediately instead of having it delivered.

Now I know I installed it wrong. BtS is unplayable at all now. :mad:
I'm not sure how you managed to do that.
OK, I'm having no end of trouble. Winzip will not extract the Bug file. What do I do? :wallbash:
I'm not sure what could be going on there either. If you were having trouble extracting my mod with WinZip, that is because you should be using 7-Zip instead. I've reduced its size since then, but the first version of MagisterModmod 2012 was too big for this forum to support uploading it as a normal zip file, requiring I use the more efficient compression of the 7z format. The BUG Mod folder is in an ordinary zip archive though. Note that you can play my mod just fine without that BUG folder, so long as you aren't too distracted by messages about missing ini files.

Edit: Oh, and no barb ships whatsoever.

I just got around to trying your save game.First I tried to see if I could edit the file to work under my version without changing the name, but that corrupted the file and make the game crash so I changed the name of the mod on my version instead. I ran into a WoC Problem too, and since I'm using a 6 year old laptop my machine probably had a worse time handling it than yours. My computer became completely unresponsive until I just turned it off. I think that is a larger map than I usually used even with my newer laptop before it broke.

I could not tell much by simply playing the game, but since I have logging turned on (as explained here) I have a couple of ideas. The end of PythonDbg.log says that the last thing that was happened is that the city of Stoville was acquired and kept. That could very well be related to another Infernal player entering the game. Alternately the problem could be related to the last event found in BBAI.log, which is Jonas III's Dragon Fanatic casting Evangelize. Apparently I used the same txt_key for evangelizing to units or cities with this particular religion, so I'm not sure which spell is being cast. It it is SPELL_EVANGELIZE_UNITS_DRAGON_CULT and is successful, then it could be causing the next unit to call def effectCultusDraconis(caster) and defect to another player while the AI still thinks it needs to be given orders. If it is the city version, then maybe it is triggering a revolt.

I don't really want to risk another game on a map that size on this pc. Maybe you can test to see if changing the <bAllowAI>1 tag under SPELL_EVANGELIZE_UNITS_DRAGON_CULT helps?

Top Bottom