Things you only just now realized

I just realized that Medic (I) has only 1 prerequisite promotion, which allows me to use mounted units to heal meat shields a lot faster...and I can do this on barb. experience alone!

Wait, what? How?

There's a small "Rename unit" button at the top of the Promotion window.

I only wish that I could rename units even when they don't have an available promotion and that the names I used would be the names used on the Military Overview screen.

I just realized that Persia's extra movement in golden ages affects workers and settlers, too. Makes grabbing another city that much easier, as now your settlers have as much movement as a scout in rough terrain.

Cromagnus said:
I'll need to double-check that. I'm almost positive that when a national wonder build gets canceled, you lose all production. Same with any unit/building that requires a resource, if you lose that resource. I'll verify that in my next game. I should have double-checked before posting, but oh well.

I do think it is true, when you build a new city while building a national wonder you lose all production. It must be similar.

I do think it is true, when you build a new city while building a national wonder you lose all production. It must be similar.

You don't lose production. If you look at the description closely, it says that the cost goes up for every city in the empire. Production is simply haulted.

I only wish that I could rename units even when they don't have an available promotion and that the names I used would be the names used on the Military Overview screen.

YES. Late game military management is a pain in the ass, honestly... Knowing 'OK, I want my Northern Infantry to advance here, my Southern Marines landing here,' etc. would be so easy to implement and make things much easier to manage...

YES. Late game military management is a pain in the ass, honestly... Knowing 'OK, I want my Northern Infantry to advance here, my Southern Marines landing here,' etc. would be so easy to implement and make things much easier to manage...

:: shrugs ::

In a related topic, when any civilization kills a unit in combat, the computer simply reports what type was just killed. I would WUV it if the computer also reported the unique name of the unit (if it had one).

Can't tell you how annoying it is when the computer reports that one of my Rifleman units was killed, and I have to cycle through all my Rifleman units to figure out that "4th Guards (Rifleman)" was the unit that was killed

Can't tell you how annoying it is when the computer reports that one of my Rifleman units was killed, and I have to cycle through all my Rifleman units to figure out that "4th Guards (Rifleman)" was the unit that was killed

This ^

im guessin you name your units like that? all i do is hit the Unit Killed notification icon and it takes me to where the unit was and i generally remember which one it was.

im guessin you name your units like that?

Yup, that's right.

all i do is hit the Unit Killed notification icon and it takes me to where the unit was and i generally remember which one it was.

Well, when I have 12+ different Guards units (which happens quite frequently when I'm striving for a Domination victory...or a Diplomatic Victory...through DOMINATION), it can be quite difficult to "remember" which tile EACH Guards unit is located in at the end of each turn.

Generally speaking, the lower the serialization of the Guards unit, the more experienced it is. There's a huge difference between losing "2nd Siege (Trebuchet)" and losing "7th Siege (Trebuchet)".

Generally speaking, the lower the serialization of the Guards unit, the more experienced it is. There's a huge difference between losing "2nd Siege (Trebuchet)" and losing "7th Siege (Trebuchet)".

Well...this sounds like a good system you have...I generally rely on memory, but that has resulted in mistakes which I'll usually realize just one click of the mouse too late.

Like moving, in the heat of battle, a scout-archer into some "meat shield' situation when I could have moved a "lesser" archer.... I don't know how to tell from the title bar on the unit which is a scout-archer and which is not....:sad:

But I don't think I've ever lost a logistics unit ...at least by mistake... I always know when I have those and I'm always quite deliberate on how I place them...and the logo for logistics in the title bar is quite obvious....

The AI can actually make a decent landfall for amphib invasions, after much nuking and meatshield waves...

Spoiler :

Like moving, in the heat of battle, a scout-archer into some "meat shield' situation when I could have moved a "lesser" archer.... I don't know how to tell from the title bar on the unit which is a scout-archer and which is not....:sad:

In vanilla, post Optics, Archers upgraded from Scouts have two upward pointing yellow triangle promotions. "Normal" Archers only have one.

If I were to guess, the first upward pointing yellow triangle promotion is to enable ranged attacks. The second one is for disregarding terrain movement costs. ;D

You don't lose production. If you look at the description closely, it says that the cost goes up for every city in the empire. Production is simply haulted.

Wait, are you saying that razing a city counts as increasing your city count? Because I'm sure I've seen the number of turns go up after razing a city interrupted a national wonder build. And would that apply to policy costs too? If so that's bogus.

Also, another random thing I noticed: Mehal Safari keep their bonus near the capital after being upgraded, which makes it more worth building them, because that extra 20-30% really counts when you upgrade them to mechanized infantry. :-D

There's a small "Rename unit" button at the top of the Promotion window.

Put the code:

Code:
function OnUnitNameRClicked()
    -- rename this unit
    OnEditNameClick();
end
Controls.UnitNameButton:RegisterCallback( Mouse.eRClick, OnUnitNameRClicked );

right before function OnUnitRClicked() inside ...\assets\DLC\Expansion\UI\InGame\WorldView\UnitPanel.lua

and that's it. Once the code is inside the file, you will be able to Right-Click the name of the unit at any time to rename it.

Yeah, I felt like sharing something with civfanatics today.... but only today.

Wait, are you saying that razing a city counts as increasing your city count?

Yes, a city that you are in the process of razing to the ground adds to the number of cities you are considered to be controlling. So, items like national wonders which requrie certian buildings in all cities, or the cost of SPs, etc, will all increase while a city is being raized.

When the city is gone, then you can start building your National Wonder again, but the cost for SPs will not go back down. For this reason it's a good idea not to raze more than one city at a time unless you are totally unconcerned about your SP costs.

Athough, if you are still in the process of expanding your empire the next time you build a city (assuming another city is not still being razed), then your SP cost will not increase.

I was pleasantly surprised by this, though he pillaged the incense way before the cit.

Spoiler :

Yes, a city that you are in the process of razing to the ground adds to the number of cities you are considered to be controlling. So, items like national wonders which requrie certian buildings in all cities, or the cost of SPs, etc, will all increase while a city is being raized.

When the city is gone, then you can start building your National Wonder again, but the cost for SPs will not go back down. For this reason it's a good idea not to raze more than one city at a time unless you are totally unconcerned about your SP costs.

Athough, if you are still in the process of expanding your empire the next time you build a city (assuming another city is not still being razed), then your SP cost will not increase.

Wow, I didn't realize that razed cities permanently counted towards your SP cost... that sucks. :-(

I kinda feel like the whole thing is broken. If you choose to raze a city, it should never have counted towards your city count in the first place. Or is there some game balance reason for this I'm not thinking of?

EDIT: Ok, I just now parsed what you were saying. You're saying if I had 4 cities, and razed 2, my SP cost is like I have six cities, but I can build two cities before it goes up again... got it.

Still, why not just have it not go up in the first place? Anyway, thanks for the tip on not razing multiple cities at once! I'll have to keep that in mind.

I suppose it slows you down a bit if you're on a roll...maybe trying to raze cities only one at a time is a better approach.

Another strategy to think about instead of razing cities is to puppet them and maybe sell/give them to some other civ...a civ who really isn't a threat to you and who might also cause some problems for the civ you took the city from.

Sometimes I've found that if you raze a city and leave an inviting gap in the terrain some civ ...maybe the one you took it from ...will "reflexively" send over a settler...;)

Though with happiness not as much of an issue in G&K, I find just puppeting them and forgetting about them...except for the choice ones... seems to be an easy enough strategy.. though I play at the King level...maybe at the higher levels, even that is a game-losing luxury you can't afford to indulge....

Top Bottom