"Fall Patch" announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, sorry. I agree with what you're saying about the SPs playing a bigger role. I didn't mean to make it sound otherwise. I'm not sure about making the religions split up, etc.
Yes it is hard to say what would make the religion system better. I suppose I just like to throw some ideas out there, because you never know when one may get a second look. Or at least get the devs thinking about different things they could try to do, to make the game better.

Of course, in the forums many ideas for the game are misconstrued within the context of history. It is not easy for many to separate the game from real history, or their outlook of history. They seem to forget that history can be very opinionated, and often is. Historians always have disagreements about how one views events over another. Anyone, anywhere can find something to argue about. :)

I think it's okay right now even if the options need better balance. Not to say that ideas for making it better wouldn't be welcome though. It least it's fun-ish. Given a choice I'd rather they put their time into spies if people insist on having that in the game. As it stands I'd rather it wasn't even in there.

Why because Richelieu waged war on and defeated the Huguenots?

No, because Richelieu, Mazarin and Louis XIV's main objective was to shoot down the very catholic house of Austria (Spain), and they did so by helping the protestants in the Netherlands and Germany. They were men of the catholic church, but they allied with heretics (outside of France) to beat the dominant power of the same religion. The reason they waged war to the French hugenots was because these contested their authority, not because of their religion (the princes of the Fronde were catholic as well, and they did ally locally with hugenots to try to get power).

In a way, at the time, most of Europe was playing like the AI in Civ IV, and France was the human player who was using the AI routines to his advantage.

Anyhow... I don't like how religion plays out in CiV, but it's still a huge improvement over the system of Civ IV. It used to be the dominant diplomacy tool, now it's negligible in term of diplomacy (the choice between order/autocracy/freedom replaced it at the diplomatic level, which I still don't really like either). Now it became an extra social policy kind of system.
If only the AI could stop sending their annoying missionaries and prophets...

The most fun I had with religion was in a game where most of my opponents were very religion-biased (Celts, Byzantium...) so I didn't bother to build a single shrine and developed my empire without religion. At some point, my territory was covered with missionaries from 3 different civilizations, fighting to convert my cities, going back because a rival missionary had undone what they just did, and finally dying of attrition, while I was researching Flight... That was an amusing show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom