Installing Mods on Civ5 for Mac

Alright, i got it to work, thanks for all your support. :)

Ok, the MODS tab appears on my main menu screen, but it says that no mods have been installed, even though I put the unzipped 'mod' page into the MODS folder.

What do you mean by "the unzipped mod page"?

Are you sure you have correctly downloaded and extracted the mod? It should produce a folder containing multiple files, including a xxxx.modinfo file that the software uses to identify all the pieces of the mod. That folder, with all its contents included, goes into your MODS folder.

Which mod are you trying to install? Are you sure it'a compatible with G&K? Most mods these days assume you have BNW.

Thanks, I will try that later today, but once you install a mod, do you have to start a new game for it to take effect? Or is it automatically integrated into existing saves?

It depends on the mod, but most have to be there from the start of a game.

What do you mean by "the unzipped mod page"?

Are you sure you have correctly downloaded and extracted the mod? It should produce a folder containing multiple files, including a xxxx.modinfo file that the software uses to identify all the pieces of the mod. That folder, with all its contents included, goes into your MODS folder.

Which mod are you trying to install? Are you sure it'a compatible with G&K? Most mods these days assume you have BNW.
Hi, its this one: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=486117
and it is compatible with G&K

I meant i extracted the mod file via Keka as in the instructions.
UPDATE: I extracted the mod page (originally a .civ5mod) via Keka, but the new .zip file doesn't appear as a folder containing multiple files...

Your use of the expression "mod page" confused me. a "page" is normally just a web site page that you visit. The mods you download are "Files".

It sounds as if you haven't extracted the mod. Keka doesn't recognise .civ5mod files as compressed files, and if you give it a file it doesn't recognise, it just recompresses it, creating a .zip file that will not work as a mod. There's a Keka Preferences file attached to the first post that will make Keka recognise .civ5mod files and extract them. Or you can change the .civ5mod extension to .7z as indicated in the first post. You can also change the Keka preferences to "Always Extract".

Your use of the expression "mod page" confused me. a "page" is normally just a web site page that you visit. The mods you download are "Files".

It sounds as if you haven't extracted the mod. Keka doesn't recognise .civ5mod files as compressed files, and if you give it a file it doesn't recognise, it just recompresses it, creating a .zip file that will not work as a mod. There's a Keka Preferences file attached to the first post that will make Keka recognise .civ5mod files and extract them. Or you can change the .civ5mod extension to .7z as indicated in the first post. You can also change the Keka preferences to "Always Extract".

Alright, I got the mod folder after the extraction, everything should work properly now. Thank you for all your help! ;)

so i got the Mods button to show up, but for whatever reason it is set to touchscreen mode, and i cant click anything. Any help on a fix would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, welcome.

You have probably corrupted your main menu.lua file.

Did you use TextEdit? If so, did you follow the advice posted here recently to copy and paste the hyphens instead of typing them? Or the even more recent advice in this post to change the code?

An even better approach is to use the AppleScript linked in the first post, which does all the file editing and mod installation for you. You'll probably need to revert the changes you have already made first, though.

Hey AlanH!
So I just bought Civ5 after like 11 years of playing Civ3 and its great but I really wanted to see all the mods and stuff so I went through your step by step instructions and finally got mods to work on my Mac. Some mods haha. My question is that I am trying to get a mod that gives me a cheat engine in the game however whenever I used the Keka program to extract the file (which usually looks like a blank page and then turns into a bluish folder), the alert up top would say "files compressed etc." and the file would then be a zipper looking thing. This happens to only a certain mods but unfortunately, those are the ones I want. Thanks for your time.

Hi, welcome. It sounds as if you are recompressing the mods instead of extracting them. See my reply to tychochallenge, post #625 a little further up the page.

Hoping for a little help here.

I installed some mods, and started a game with the mods. I played for a while, saving occasionally. Suddenly all but 2 of the mods stopped working. I went and reloaded the last save that the mods were working, but the mods were gone from that! I loaded back a few more, then all the way back to the beginning and somehow the mods are gone from ALL my saves (which are in the ModdedSaves folder as they should be)!

So I tried quitting Civ 5 and steam and reopening both. I went to the mods menu, made sure all the mods I want are still checked there (they all were), and loaded a game from there. All the mods but 2 are still gone. From all saves (even the saves made wen the mos were working).

So my question is this: how do I restore my mods to my saved games that HAD all the mods working but then all but 2 of the mods just dropped out for no apparent reason? Much thanks to anyone who can help.

Edit to add: playing BNW (all expansions, really - bought the game as "complete") on Mac mini with OS 10.10.2 if any of those things make a difference.
Edit 2: Also, if it matters, before all that, I got the modded game started after I downloaded the mods from the steam website, then used the awesome "Civ5 Enable Steam Mods" app I downloaded of this site to get the mods to be accessed from the in-game mods menu.

Hello, I hope this wasn't said already... I've read a bunch here and haven't found the answer.

- I am having issues with displaying a collection of mods "Toft Flag Pack (Separate Mods)"
- Other mods load fine when I use your "Civ5 Enable Steam Mods" script
- When these other mods run through your script, they come out as hidden files, shown below:

- However, only some files within each mod are hidden.

Is there any way around this? And no, the mod does not show up in Civ5 at all.

Thank you.

Moderator Action: Welcome. I have merged your separate thread into this one. Please don't ask the same question in two different places, as people don't know where to respond, and you will get confused by two different sets of answers.

Hoping for a little help here.

I installed some mods, and started a game with the mods. I played for a while, saving occasionally. Suddenly all but 2 of the mods stopped working. I went and reloaded the last save that the mods were working, but the mods were gone from that! I loaded back a few more, then all the way back to the beginning and somehow the mods are gone from ALL my saves (which are in the ModdedSaves folder as they should be)!

So I tried quitting Civ 5 and steam and reopening both. I went to the mods menu, made sure all the mods I want are still checked there (they all were), and loaded a game from there. All the mods but 2 are still gone. From all saves (even the saves made wen the mos were working).

So my question is this: how do I restore my mods to my saved games that HAD all the mods working but then all but 2 of the mods just dropped out for no apparent reason? Much thanks to anyone who can help.

Edit to add: playing BNW (all expansions, really - bought the game as "complete") on Mac mini with OS 10.10.2 if any of those things make a difference.
Edit 2: Also, if it matters, before all that, I got the modded game started after I downloaded the mods from the steam website, then used the awesome "Civ5 Enable Steam Mods" app I downloaded of this site to get the mods to be accessed from the in-game mods menu.
Do you have an earlier saved game that used to load all the mods?

If the earlier save now fails to load the mods, then it sounds as if the mods in question have become corrupted, so unsubscribe from them in Workshop and resubscribe, and run the AppleScript again. You may need to manually delete the mods from the Steam directory as well as from the MODS directory.

If the earlier save still loads the mods, upload two saves here - an earlier one that loads all the mods and a current one that loses some. I can look at the saves to investigate what has changed.

Hello, I hope this wasn't said already... I've read a bunch here and haven't found the answer.

- I am having issues with displaying a collection of mods "Toft Flag Pack (Separate Mods)"
- Other mods load fine when I use your "Civ5 Enable Steam Mods" script
- When these other mods run through your script, they come out as hidden files ...

Is there any way around this? And no, the mod does not show up in Civ5 at all.

Thank you.

I don't know why the author decided to start each flag mod name with a period(.). A period at the front of a file name tells OS X (and all Unix/Linux os'es) to treat the file as hidden, but it probably doesn't have this effect in Windows. In itself, this should not cause problems, but it depends on how the Mac Civ5 software chooses to deal with hidden files. I've confirmed that if you delete the periods at the start of the folder and file names, and edit the .modinfo files to remove the periods from the mod names, then the mods show up in the menu.

Hi,

I am struggling with a Mac App Store version of the game, the mods do not appear in the mod menu on the game. My Mods folder is found under Library ▸ Application Support ▸ Civilization V Campaign Edition. My mods are correctly expanded and the folders are in the right place. Any Ideas on what I can do to get it to work?

I think your mods folder is actually in ~/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.civ5campaign/Data/Library/Application Support/Civilization V Campaign Edition/

hi
I have this problem: i have a steam version of civ5. after making all the passages to enable the mod button when i start the game the main menu is frozen. i can move the mouse but the button are frozen. somebody can help me? thx very much

Hi, welcome. Did you use the AppleScript method? Or are you doing it manually, the hard way?

If you are manually editing the .lua file, are you using TextEdit? If so, check out the known problem dealt with in this thread that it doesn't handle double hyphens well.

I have attached a modified Preferences file for Keka that will recognise and extract a .civ5mod file automatically. Download this file and use Keka to extract it. Close Keka, and move the resulting com.aone.keka.plist file into ~/Library/Preferences/ to replace the existing file of the same name.

I no longer recommend Ez7z. It used to be available at MacUpdate.com, but the link seems to be broken as of January 2013. It is available at TechSpot, but TechSpot is one of those annoying download sites with lots of distracting links, and the app downloads as a .rar archive, so you need another extractor to get at the disk image to install it!

Whatever unzipping software you use, install it into your /Applications/ folder, drop the downloaded file onto its icon, and make sure that you end up with a single folder containing all the individual files (.xml, .lua, .dds, .mp3 ....) and subfolders that make up the mod.
I extracted the file into a com.one.keka.plist into the given location and replaced the already existing file. I don't get the last paragraph though, I mean I used keka and its in my applications folder, but what downloaded files do i drop onto it? the mod i just extracted as a com.one.keka.plist? or the whole mod file? because the mod is in .civ help pls helps

Top Bottom