[BtS] American Civil War

You could also have a tech that allows black union troops for the north. Emancipation could be a tech or something for union which maybe gives them a certain amount of free black divisions are something like that. That could be a really interesting advantage and part in the game.

Just so you know, there actually were black soldiers in the Confederacy. Sure there were not a whole lot, but they were there. Oh, and sad to say it, but most of the black men in both armies were used as laborers only.

akafish77 - first off, welcome to cfc! :) Yea, there are lots of little intricate details about the war, that may or may not get attention... its not a matter of trying to skew things certain ways or what not, its just that this is already a ton of work, every little thing that gets added just increases the huge pile of to-do's. Some smaller details may be added, but only things that actually add to game play, and are not too much of a strain to do.

I'm still mostly focusing on core stuff, the majority of the "icing" will not be here for awhile. (not planned for next release)

there is a "slave worker" unit, I forgot to mention, that replaces worker if your state ideology is "slavery". Some easy to make units like perhaps black soldier units, may be added, but probably not until some of the final stages.

Shiggs

Just so you know, there actually were black soldiers in the Confederacy. Sure there were not a whole lot, but they were there. Oh, and sad to say it, but most of the black men in both armies were used as laborers only.

Even in WW II black soldiers were treated differently - unlike the colonial troops in British or French service.:(

Thanks for the welcome. Sorry to confuse things, if you will. I am just a bit of a history purist. I realize that it would be impossible to implement all of huge number of aspects of the civil war, or any part of history for that matter.

Oh, and the mod looks awesome so far. Keep it up;)

Thanks for the welcome. Sorry to confuse things, if you will. I am just a bit of a history purist. I realize that it would be impossible to implement all of huge number of aspects of the civil war, or any part of history for that matter.

Oh, and the mod looks awesome so far. Keep it up;)

oh it will be... I just ask you all to please be patient.... the mod still has quite a bit of work until it is what I envision. Also since CivRev looks like a complete bust, it looks like we have awhile till the real civ5 comes out...

don't worry DoubleRD77, I've spent well over 100 hours researching the civil war, on top of my collection of knowledge from god knows how many years of school, and my personal quest for knowledge. :) If you know nothing of the civil war, you'll probably think I know everything, and even if you know a lot about it, you'll be hard pressed to find major mistakes in my research.

Shiggs

Shiggs, will you at least promise us that when it is done that the British will have bright red uniforms, shiny muskets, nice black boots, and pants with a stripe down the center? That is really my formost concern more than anything else. Also would it be O.K. if we fund you and send you money via paypal?

Sorry about the wait Shiggs... This weekend all art will be finished up. The map is done, if not absolutely absolutely perfect.

I will have to revise my estimate. By deleting some stuff I really didn't need in there, i got around 70MB. Then I noticed that some stuff (like my HUGE resources folder) has all the resources that are already in the game. These will replace whatever's already in your resources folder, and not counting this overlap, I expect something in the 40MBs.

If you are going to downsize, which I'd advise against, I ask that you try and avoid it, and if you absolutely have to/want to, please try to only make one set of changes- any change in resources would mean I have to come up with a new gamefont. I just don't want to have to change that more than once, so be sure if you want to change resources etc., to combine all changes in one.

I look forward to getting it to you in a couple days

EDIT: and the maple syrup resource is now working dependably

oh don't worry about the gamefonts, I can work them pretty well now. Usually taking minutes instead of hours to make adjustments/additions.

thanks,

Shiggs

Alright well that's not really gonna affect anything cuz i wasnt gonna do it before i gave you the map anyways :p

You would probably have to rebalance some of the resources if you deleted em tho, just be careful and try to delete the least relevant. They all played a role to some degree.

I would advise the keeping of rice, dye (indigo), among quite a few of the new ones which are featured. They are placed based on modern resource data and historical atlases from the time period. I'll let you know my thoughts in particular on this when I upload it.

I would actually strongly advise against much of that sort of deletion, as generally resources are only 300kb, and together they are quite vital for the balancing and uses of particular regions. Total mod size is about 60MB of disk space.

Lastly, I should probably tell you that the map should be placed in BTS public maps (the mod can open public maps), it may work elsewhere, but when I was having problems with my large maps a while back this is where I had put it when it started working. As with the extension- I currently use the vanilla extension, and this shouldn't impede in any way, though it may work with a different extension.

Kevin

Just found this mod, thanks for creating this! From what I have read here it sounds very good.
I just finished patching (scary) to v3.17 I hope this will be compatible. I have subscribed to your thread for updates and conversations
Thanks again
Ray

ps; I read that you devoted many hours of research to this so I know you'll get this, Is it possible to play as a single general of the Confederate Army while another e-mail player plays another on the same side? an example 3 prayers Union, 3 prayers Confederate and these Great Generals fighting the Battles they originally fought whether they fought side by side or across the Mississippi?

When is this mod going to come out? By the time it comes out, the 2nd American civil war and the scenario will be over :(

thanks for the kind works Eclipse, I'm not sure if the mod is compatible with 3.17 or not, I doubt it though, since it has a modified dll. The only way to make it play as you described like a 3 vs 3 would be to split the 2 nations into regions and have them in permanent alliances. Wouldn't be too difficult I guess, but would require a different approach.

DoubleRD, its taking awhile, some things with the patch, and it seem kevinman has disappeared with no map for me. There's other maps, but I'll have to modify them extensively to get to what I really wanted.

Who knows though, I may get motivated someday soon, though real life is keeping me quite busy right now.

We are much more important than real life. Your priority should be our happiness and the greated good of the scenario for all. Everything else in your life should be secondary to this great project. This is something that is of monumental importantness.

Downloaded the mod. It's looks like you've put a lot of effort in and hopefully that's going to pay off. Two points:

1. Map and timeframe - I don't think I want to play this scenario without one.

2. The name of the folder is "Civil War". That's a little Americocentric isn't it? You might want to change the folder to American Civil War to distinguish it from the Spanish Civil War or the English Civil War, amongst many others.

I am really looking forward to playing the compleated version. As for the units, I am impressed by the amount of reaserch that has been done. I may suggest, if I may, that it was in many cases not the equipment that the troops had but their resolve that made them effective on the battlefeild. So perhaps some units that made themselves famous by their fighting resolve and stamina, such as the Irish Brigade, or the 1st US Dragoons, and various other units that made their imprint on the nation.

Great Regiments? Every unit that is made has a chance to have a great regiment bonus of exp.

I have not played this mod since it is not compatable with 3.17 but I have a suggestion....

I think there should be a "Sherman Spawning Event" That spawns the William Sherman army near Atlanta appox. the same time it happened in history. Since many contribute Shermans march as the final dagger that sealed the victory for the North I think it should be applied to this mod....also it would be really fun to play as the south and have to face an event like that...Anyways it's just an idea and if by chance it is already applied to this mod you have my apoligies

Is this still on? I am really looking forward to this mod. It's the one war that hasn't gotten its due from Civ (and, possibly, WWI).

Top Bottom