Language translations for leader sayings

Hi, folks. I just got the Denmark DLC today, and as it turns out, Harald pretty much speaks plain Danish, as well as an archaic term here or there. My connection died shortly after I got the DLC, so I took the liberty of listening to his sound files while offline. Here you go:

Harald Bluetooth: (Translation) "Original Danish"

Attacked: (Ahh, you show the skills of a good viking! ...Too bad that I'll probably have to kill you *Laughs*) "Arh, du viser en god vikings evner! ...Ærgerligt at jeg nok bliver nødt til at slå dig ihjel *Laugh*"
Declaring: (Ahaharh, I tire of this pointless chatter. We settle our disputes on the field of battle, like true men!) "Ahaharh, jeg bliver træt af denne unyttige snak. Vi afgør vores uenigheder på slagmarken, som rigtige mænd."
Defeated: (What is this treason!? Loki must have stood by you, for a common man alone could not have defeated me!) "Hvad er det for et forræderi!? ...Loke må have stået dig bi, for en almindelig mand alene kan ikke have besejret mig."
HateLet'sHearIt1: (What is it?) "Hva' er der?"
HateLet'sHearIt2: (And?) "Og?"
HateLet'sHearIt3: (Go on.) "Fortsæt."
HateNo1: (That is unacceptable) "Det er uacceptabelt."
HateNo2: (No, you insipid man (lit. "you foolish human")) "Nej, dit tåbelige menneske."
HateYes1: (Oh, very well) "Årh, meget vel."
HateYes2: (I guess I have to) "Det bliver jeg vel nødt til."
Intro: (Ah, wonderful, a new challenger! Harald Bluetooth bids you welcome to his lands/country) "Ah, vidunderligt, en ny udfordrer! Harald Blåtand byder dig velkommen til sit land!"
NeutralHello: (Hail to you) "Hil dig."
NeutralLet'sHearIt1: (Let's hear it) "Lad os høre det."
NeutralLet'sHearIt2: (Go ahead) "Værsgo"
NeutralLet'sHearIt3: (I'm listening!) "Jeg lytter!"
NeutralNo1: (I must decline) "Det må jeg afvise"
NeutralNo2: (No) "Nej."
NeutralNo3: (Not today, I'm afraid) "Ikke i dag, er jeg bange for."
NeutralYes1: (Very well) "Udmærket"
NeutralYes2: (Of course, my friend!) "Selvfølgelig, min ven!"
NeutralYes3: (That's a deal!) "Det' en aftale!"
Peaceful: (By the hammer of Thor, you have proven yourself a worthy opponent today. I congratulate you.) "Ved Thors hammer, du har vist dig som en værdig modstander i dag. Jeg lykønsker dig."
Request: (This is a fine deal! Even a simple beggar would agree!) "Det' en fin aftale! Selv en simpel tigger ville være enig."

Excellent! I will post your translations up onto the first page. :D

Also, do you have translations for Attacked 2, Defeated 2 and Intro 2 files in Harald Bluetooth's file? :D

He combined them.

Attack 1 Ahh, you show the skills of a good viking!
Attack 2 Too bad that I'll probably have to kill you *Laughs*

I think the rest are the same, but lack of laughter makes it harder to confirm.

Yup, I did. I encountered him in-game and noticed that his attacked and intro quotes comprise both parts, and I'm assuming defeated is the same.

That makes sense. I do wonder why they divided them though. And I wish leaders would have more than 1 version of their Intro/Defeated/etc quotes, esp. since more were recorded, but I guess Firaxis thought the game would take up much less space if a few bytes of sound were removed. Sad, but here's to hoping in Civ VI the quotes are more extensive. Or, if we're lucky, in a future expansion? :O

You don't. These translations are things we've done ourselves. All Civs (DLC and regular) are recording in the language of that Civ (or language the leader of that Civ used in his empire). They were in translated into English by us for those curious what they were saying.

The DLC Civ translations are on the first page of this thread, post #9. Alternatively if you want a printed copy I guess you could copy it onto Word and print it. :)

sorry I made A stupid mistake. You were talking about DLC civs. I thought you were talking about a mod that would make it so the text matched the words that they were saying.

That mod would actually be kind of a nuisance, because sadly what they say usually provides less information than the "subtitles" below; you may have noticed it with Washington and Elizabeth.

I got some of the Alexander lines from Civilization wiki. First, I posted the translations from here on the wiki. I also added the lines of leaders i didn't understand, not real translation, just how it sounded to me. Then, someone else corrected some of the lines but not all. It really should be that person who gets the credit. I don't remember who it was though.

This is what they put for Alexander's Defeated line
"How could this be? I am heir to the Gods! (Απολλο σας με ποσει βογιος τερεη!)"
Makes more sense then the current translation. I thought Montezuma would be more likely to say "What manner of creature are you?"

Lurker here,

I didn't have time to sift through all twelve pages of this, so forgive me if this has already been answered, but why does Isabella use the Vosotros (plural 2nd person) tense? Maybe she's addressing my entire civ? if so, isn't she the only one that does that?

Does formal Castilian use Usted like Latin America or does it use Vosotros (like French)?

In Civ4, Spanish units asked ¿Qué desea usted? when selected, so I guess it's also in use in Castillan. It's tricky that Usted is a second person pronoun associated with third person conjugation. Though I shouldn't complain, it's the same in Polish.

Well, I know Usted is used (otherwise it wouldn't exist). I just wonder if maybe they're interchangeable.

I can't speak for Latin America, but they are definitely not interchangeable in Spain. "Usted" is used nowadays as a sign of respect, position or distance, or just as a formality, as "vous" in French, but used much more sparingly. "Vos" is the "usted" of the Middle Ages and Renaissance, used by nobility to adress others, or to talk to a king/queen; it has completely disappeared from our language, aside from films depicting that era.
As far as I know, "usted" and "ustedes" (plural) is quite common in Latin America, but as the usual way to talk to each other, not as a sign of deference.
EDIT: sorry for posting this explanation twice, I didn't remember I had already.

Top Bottom