End of CivWorld

There are forum games over in the AoG section, but I'm not sure a glorified forum-style game would have been any better. I think they were trying to cash in on a trend with their franchise, and the Civ franchise just didn't need to go in that direction.

I did play couple of games there (and became highest ranking player once). Massively multiplayer aspect of the game was very fun -- for the first time a player could experience internal rivalries and tension INSIDE his empire -- very realistic aspect totally missed by franchise so far. Mini-games were silly for strategy players, though. This idea should be further polished and developed, not shut down. Sad.

I'd say this post wraps up my own feelings about the game.

Facebook should pay Firaxis though, because it was the only reason I signed up for Facebook.

Sure about that? If they are that short of staff, you should really blame it all on XCOM, don't you think?

I don't have anything concrete, but knowledge of the way executives think, leads me to the belief that the two games were funded from the same pot, knowing that Civ 5 would be a hit no matter what, and the potential of earning Zynga payola from a facebook game was just irresistible.

Suits want to make money, not great games.

What makes me sad is that Sid is so indifferent to his great game that he can't even be arsed supervising it's development.

Xcom was a totally separate project

Makes me wonder why the folks over at Apolyton released a podcast for SCIVCast on 09 March 2013. After the announcement of the death of the game? Maybe they had already finished the podcast, and didn't want to just delete it ... <shrug>

I am surprised it made it this long. The only game I ever tried on Facebook was ESPN College Town, and then concluded never again on Facebook for any genre.

It had a few interesting aspects, and I admit I had some fun games with it for a couple months. I'm sure if they worked at it they could end up with a pretty fun, replayable "game," but I'd much prefer to see those resources go towards Civ6 or Alpha Centauri 2 so that we don't get another Civ5 fiasco.

Makes me wonder why the folks over at Apolyton released a podcast for SCIVCast on 09 March 2013. After the announcement of the death of the game? Maybe they had already finished the podcast, and didn't want to just delete it ... <shrug>
I just came across your post above, vorlon, while searching the forums. A clarifying point to start: Apolyton did not release an episode of SCivCast -- rather, it is one of several Civilization fansite forums that I use to inform the community of new Civ podcasts that I own and produce. CivFanatics is another.

Towards part of what Circuit said in response, CivWorld was active then and still is with it now having a little more than a week to run until its scheduled shutdown. There was and is a fanbase for the game still, and as such a seventh episode was released in April and an eighth is also in the works.

Top Bottom