Civ3 conquests better with 'Rise and Rule' mod or as original game?

Question: Civ3 Conquests better with 'Rise and Rule' mod or as original game?

• w/ Rise and Rule

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • As original

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Never tried Rise and Rule

Votes: 12 48.0%

• Total voters
so far I'm loving RAR
tons more technology, units, improvements, and wonders
more than one type of pirate, not just the weak privateer, and they have decent attack ratings, which pirate ships should have
not being able to irrigate for quite a while takes some getting used to though, but as long as you remember to try to have at least a couple flood plains or grasslands tiles for each city the lack of irrigation isn't bad

I've played Rise and Rule, but probably not enough to have an opinion (I've never finished one). I just find the tech pace and the amount of builds dizzying.

RaR is awesome, but as the game goes on the AI gets more incompetent with it because of the changes made. Also, there are still many mistakes in the mod from what was intended. I prefer my own variant of Rhye's of Civ.

I'm afraid that poll will lead to nowhere.
IMHO you'd have to ask first if someone likes mods at all.
There a quite big comunnity of purists/cable modem users/ computer illiterates who simply prefer unmodded way over anything. And won't ever try a mod, so their opinion (while respected!) isn't based on knowledge, thus doesn't count ;).

But then, I think there is a number of excellent mods, and depending on you personnal preferences (say, Fantasy=WH2; Builder=RaR; Warmonger=AU; World Map=Rhye's etc), such a mod may indeed be better for you than the unmodded game.
I for one consider unmodded C3C, the Firaxis' Conquests, and RaR all different games, and I like them all. So nothing gets my vote.

For PtW, however, I can say that I only enjoyed DyP. TEThurkan didn't run with my stone-age system, and other great full scale mods weren't around. And unmodded VC3/PtW offers a unit selection I hate, plus that stupid early map/contact-trading.

I love RaR, but I still think the original conquests is better. It's more balanced. RaR IMHO is a bit too crowdy.

The reason some people find RaR is more fun is because they get tired of the original. However, you'd get tired of RaR as well at some point.

Top Bottom