Team Free Embassy

Sending this now!

To FREE gmail and to CommandoBob via gmail
Title: "Onward to Great Things!"

:salute:

Spoiler :

Dear Allies at FREE,

Warmest greeting from The Council!
We are intrigued by this horse racing idea… let us know if you can get that set up! Also, we'll be happy to send along the secrets of Map Making with our next save. Sadly, we just missed your note before sending the current turn along.

As for how we found you – we're calling our brave little Curragh the "Unsinkable Chamsuri" – as those brave sailors had to spend 4 turns out in dangerous waters to reach you. We actually sailed south from our landmass to reach the north of your continent. (Due to the North/South wrapping of the World) Weirdly, this puts our land roughly South-West of yours. :crazyeye:

Thank you for getting back to us on dealing with Saber! In the meantime, we've drafted some more concrete proposals that we're sure you'll agree will greatly benefit our alliance.

Now that we have your consent to pursue another deal, we'd like to approach Saber and offer to trade them our knowledge of Construction (which we hope to have in about 8 turns).

In exchange, we're hoping to get knowledge of Currency (which Saber already has) and either Horseback Riding, Mysticism, or 60 gold.
Here's how we could balance out our MAAP deal with you after this trade.
(Note: this balancing also includes the previous trade with Saber which left us with a 30 beaker advantage on the MAAP)
Option 1: Saber gives Currency & Horseback Riding
Council beaker advantage = 660

Solution = The Council researches Polytheism (giving us a 60 beaker heavier load than FREE), so FREE shares 50% of gold they stockpile while waiting for The Council to finish the last AA tech.

- OR -

Option 2: Saber gives Currency & Mysticism
Council beaker advantage = 390

Solution = The Council researches Polytheism & FREE researches Horseback Riding (giving us a 30 beaker heavier load than FREE), so FREE shares 50% of gold they stockpile while waiting for The Council to finish the last AA tech.

- OR –

Option 3: Saber gives Currency & 60(?) Gold
Council beaker advantage = 510 + 60 gold

Solution = We split the 60(?) gold. Then The Council researches Mysticism and Polytheism & FREE researches Horseback Riding (giving us a 150 beaker heavier load than FREE), so FREE shares 50% of gold they stockpile while waiting for The Council to finish the last AA tech.

No matter which of these 3 options Saber picks, (assuming they're willing to pick any of them), Our Alliance will enter the Middle Ages that much faster, and with an equal amount of extra gold in both of our pockets to fund rapid initial research. We still won't be helping Saber to get to Republic, and they'll still be far behind us.

We believe this is a real win-win for both of us, but per our agreement with you, we'll need your approval before we finalize anything with Saber.

Since you've given us the green-light to start negotiations, we'll go ahead and send a letter to Saber, and we'll let you know what they say!

Please note – if you & Saber agree to this, it will certainly be the last deal we conduct with Saber in the Ancient Era.

Looking forward to continuing to prosper together with you!
Your brothers in blue,

General_W, speaking with the voice of The Council

We've told them enough about Chamsuri. Let them figure out the rest buy themselves! Good letters (this one and the one to SABER). Thanks General. :salute:

This just in from FREE:

Greetings General_W and the wise people of The Council,

We have received Map Making and have begun a thing we call a Tax Appraisal Office, which lets us take gold from our people because they live in nice houses. Without Map Making, we didn't know where people lived! Thank you very much.

The SABER Trade
The options presented to even out the MAAP if the trade with SABER does take place are acceptable in theory. At first reading the options seem bold, but upon reflection are reasonable. The wise people of The Council would be learning the last AA tech, leaving us FREEbies free and clear to make some gold. We'll need to discuss the details later (lump sum, gpt, begining and ending turns, etc.), depending upon the trade with SABER.

Entering the Middle Ages
I would like to submit an idea for consideration for The Council on how we enter the Middle Ages.

For the sake of discussion, The Council learns the last AA tech.

The current plan, as I understand it, is that when the last AA tech is learned, The Council would gift that to FREE. FREE enters the MA. Ambassadors meet to see what free techs we both received and make plans to trade them.

The flaw I see with this is that we both might learn the same tech.

Instead, what if The Council gifted FREE both the last AA tech and their free tech for entering the MA. FREE accepts and then enters the MA with an MA tech.

Does the Great Meleet count the gifted tech from The Council as FREE's gifted tech or does he choose from one of the two remaining techs? If the latter, we could then be sure of each learning a different MA tech and not just hope that we will.

Granted, the Great Meleet may ignore the gifted tech and act as always, but if not....

New Ambassador to The Council
In our most recent elections azzaman333 became the new Ambassador to The Council. His term will begin soon; we just haven't agreed on an exact turnover date. Please accept him as you have accepted me.

Sincerely yours,

CommandoBob
FREE Foreign Minister (Lame Duck)
Turn Player (Elect)
Let FREEdom Ring
Let the white dove sing...

I'm pretty sure we can't give them a MiddleAges tech before they enter the MA - or am I confused?

Interesting plan they have for the MA. If we enter first we don't have to worry about barbarian hordes. Anyone know if us gifting them our free tech will boost their chances of getting a different one free?

Like General_W said - we cannot gift our free tech to FREE before they enter the MA.
The barb hordes appear for everyone. But we seem to have only one camp, so I think there will be no problem.

This just in from FREE:

I'm pretty sure we can't give them a MiddleAges tech before they enter the MA - or am I confused?

No, I think you are right I think.
One cannot enter the MA without one of the mandatory techs from the AA.

Well, I got a note from our new Ambassador Azzaman...
azzaman333 said:
I have been elected ambassador between our civs for the following term, as of now.

I can be contacted on MSN, and I'm consistently on between 5-11pm GMT +10. My MSN is azzaman333 AT hotmail DOT com

In addition, I can be contacted by email through either the Team FREE email address, or my own personal gmail account, azzaman333 AT gmail DOT com

I look foward to helping our teams grow in strength. :)

1 brief question, how is your trade with Saber going?

Ambassador of FREE,​
azzaman333​

I sent this quick note back:
Hey Azzaman!

Good to hear from you again. I hope all is well?
I look forward to working with you.

Still no word from Saber on the proposed trade, but we expect to hear back soon. We'll keep you posted!

How's the research coming on Republic?

All the Best,
General_W, member of The Council
Azza was on team MIA with me back in the day :old:

We haven't answered their question about the MA – but there's lots of time, and maybe they've since figured out that their proposal isn't possible.
If they bring it up again, we'll answer them.

Those bots couldn't see the address in a hidden forum, they wouldn't have read access. Still, I suppose this forum will be made public in the future...

I wonder if we should send a rather informal note offering our advice for proper usage of bonus resources... :D

I'd really like to know what strategy they follow with their city placement... :confused:
Just to confuse the Russians? :rolleyes:

Maybe they give some kind of reasonal answer - at least it might be entertaining - and that's what we are here for, right? ;)

I propose to send a note to FREE asking them for CoL. SABER has it, and we need the tech to prevent us from popping it. What do you think?

I guess that's my cue! :lol:

Here's a draft:
Dear FREE,

Word has reached us from overseas that Saber now possesses knowledge of Code of Laws. If you would please send us this tech now, we'd appreciate it!

As for the Great Library, we haven't heard so much as a whisper about it… but that's certainly a valid concern. Don't know what we can really do about it though?

Also, just to keep you in the loop – we're sending a note to Saber to push them on responding to our trade offer… since they're apparently taking their sweet time.

Hope all is well in the land of FREEdom!

Your friends and allies,
The Council, by the hand of General_W

Any suggestions?

EDIT:
reconsidered telling FREE about the hut pop – probably best not to mention that. They owe us CoL – so no explanation is needed.

oh - and just got a PM from Azzaman at FREE..
Good luck with the Saber trade.

We should be able to get Repblic by turn 82, which leads us to the question of what kind of alliance, if any, we want to take into the Middle Ages. We are discussing what sort of tech plan we may have, and when we sort out the details we shall send you a copy of our proposed plan.

Also, we are slightly worried that there may be some leeches in this world planning on building the Great Library and thieving our technologies. Have you heard plans from another civ that there are resources being hoarded for such a building?

azzaman333, FREE Ambassador to the Council.
I've edited the note above to include mention that we don't know of any attempts on the Great Library at this point.

Yes, that was your cue :D. Letter looks good to me!

Interesting they're worried about the Great Lib. We're sort of building it ourselves... Prebuild of course, but still. Could they be fishing for info on this? Of course we won't say a thing.

Why does FREE think that other civs (read SABER) would tell us if they are trying to build the Great Lib? And what can be done about it? Well, FREE could build it for denial purpose, if they so wish... :D

Thanks for the feedback, zyxy.
The more I've thought about it – the more I agree with your conclusion – I think FREE is just fishing for info there.
Either that, or else grasping around for a topic of conversation like a nervous boy on his first date! :lol:

Glib is a pretty expensive denial wonder… especially since it's not likely to do us any good at all as the presumptive tech leaders.

probably just looking for conversation. or maybe they want to know what *we* are using it as a prebuild for!! You could say we are using it as prebuild for our FP and a way to make everyone else worry that we are going to a 20K....

Good point AT - I forgot that we were building the GLib!

Here's a modified version of the letter.
Dear FREE,

Word has reached us from overseas that Saber now possesses knowledge of Code of Laws. If you would please send us this tech now, we'd appreciate it!

As for the Great Library, we haven't heard so much as a whisper about it… As you may have noticed, we are using the Great Library as a pre-build for our Foreign Palace... but that's just to rattle anyone at Saber that's paying attention! :lol:
The idea that someone else may build the GLib is certainly a valid concern, but it's an awfully expensive denial wonder, so I don't know what we can really do about that possibility though? Unless you plan on building it?

Also, just to keep you in the loop – we're sending a note to Saber to push them on responding to our trade offer… since they're apparently taking their sweet time.

Hope all is well in the land of FREEdom!

Your friends and allies,
The Council, by the hand of General_W

How's that?

I liked the original version better. Why tell them what we're doing and where we build our FP?

I wouldn't call it a Foreign Palace. That might raise eyebrows in Freeland. :lol: I don't mind telling them it for our FP - it'll make them think we have less than 10 cities.

Top Bottom