*Spoiler3* Gotm21-Melee Must see Oil, Coal, Rubber

cracker

Gil Favor's Sidekick
Again take a few seconds to read this introduction carefully to make certain you DO NOT run afoul of the divided spoiler rules.

This is the THIRD spoiler thread to support discussion of the Gotm21- Mediterranenean Melee.

The objective of these divided spoiler threads is to provide a little organization to the discussion that will help more people find the topics that they are interested in without having to rummage through the entire game discussion.

Help us to keep the things filed in the appropriate places: ancient age, medieval age, or this discussion of the early industrial Steam power age.

I encourage every player to practice and master the process of posting links to the important previous reports of game progress that you may have posted for each of the two major phases of your game up to this point. If you need help with this process feel free to ask and I am certain that some of the more experienced players can help you.

The tests for access to this spoiler thread is simple:
  • you must have discoverd the required techs in the industrial age to reveal Coal, Rubber, and Oil (even though you will have no use for oil in this discussion yet ---or---
  • you must have submitted your final save file from playing the game.

To make things absolutely clear, if you cannot already see the locations of coal, oil, and rubber before arriving in this thread then you should not be here until your game has been submited.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss the time period when Cavalry, Railroads, Factories and probably Infantry and Artillery should be vailable in your game.

We particularly are interested in how you obtained key resources and how the distribution of similar resources to the AI civs may have effected the progress of the game?

You also should have at least one and perhaps two surviving rival civilizations who you are being forced to contend with on a regular basis. It would be nice to know how you planned to deal with these challenges and if you were able to successfully implement you plans without just having to react or respond to unforecast things that may have happened in the game.

Hope everyone has had fun with this game so far THERE WILL BE ONE MORE SPOILER FOR THIS GAME to facilitate discussion of tanks, destroyers, battleships airpower and the modern age but none of those topics shoul be discussed here.

REMEMBER to try and be courteous to your friends and fellow players and identify what CLASS of game you are playing and what SOFTWARE version you are using at the begining of each and every post that you make in this thread.

You can view the cutoff as being the discovery of refining and replaceable parts so you can get Oil and Rubber, but the key point is that you could also drive up the atomic and electronics branch.

The key point is to not make the transition from a steam mechanism status. There could be lots of interesting observations before oil power ships, tanks, and airplanes arrive on the scene.

Open [ptw]1.21

Part 1: 4000BC to 270BC
Part 2: 270BC to 950AD

950AD: Free Nationalism
950AD: Sell Nationalism for 550gpt + 1800g
950AD: Start research on Medicine

1050AD: Newton's University
1150AD: Bank
1160AD: Medicine
1160AD: Sell Medicine for 530gpt + Steam Power
1160AD: Start research on Sanitation

1170AD: Worker
1210AD: Temple
1240AD: Worker
1260AD: Barracks
1265AD: Worker
1270AD: All the civs beat me to Sanitation by 2 turns
1270AD: Buy Sanitation for 10g
1270AD: Buy Electricity from Russia for Saltpeter + 2150g
1270AD: Sell Electricity for 51gpt + Industrialization + Communism
1270AD: Start research on Scientific Method

1275AD: Hospital
1280AD: Factory
1285AD: Worker
1290AD: Coal Plant
1295AD: Start Universal Suffrage prebuild
1340AD: 4 workers join Athens

1345AD: Scientific Method
1345AD: Sell Scientfic Method for 450gpt + The Corporation + Replaceable Parts
1350AD: Theory of Evolution, free Atomic Theory and Electronics
1350AD: Sell Atomic Theory for 740gpt
1350AD: Start research on Radio

For the first time in the game I refused to sell a tech (Electronics). The AIs are broke, and every turn I keep it increases my chance of getting Radio and Hoover.

1370AD: Sell Saltpeter to Russia for 35gpt
1390AD: Germans build Universal Suffrage
1395AD: Hoover Dam
1410AD: Stock Exchange
1410AD: Sell Electronics for 950gpt + Refining

Now whenever I had no improvements to work on, I built Riflemen and Artillery.

1430AD: Buy Steel for 135gpt
1430AD: Sell Steel for 76gpt
1465AD: Radio
1465AD: Sell Radio for 1200gpt
1465AD: Start research on Combustion
1470AD: Civil Defense

Since the Industrial Age ended peacefully, there were no Destroyers or Battleships to talk about.

1480AD: Buy Combustion for 118gpt
1480AD: Start research on Mass Production
1535AD: Half the civs beat me to Mass Production by 5 turns
1535AD: Buy Mass Production for 10g
1535AD: Start research on Motorized Transport
1545AD: Commercial Dock

1585AD: Half the civs beat me to Motorized Transport by 5 turns
1585AD: Buy Motorized Transport for 10g
1585AD: Buy Flight for Motorized Transport + 620g

Here is Athens just before the Colossus became obsolete:

Until my Radio deals ran out in 1565, I had kept my rivals bankrupt through the whole industrial age. This prevented one civ from pulling away in research. It also prevented them from buying alliances and becoming stronger at the expense of smaller civs. The 83,000 gold in my treasury was a nice side effect. :D

But in the last 4 turns, the AIs used their full income to dogpile on France and Spain. Things will get a lot more interesting in the next spoiler when the expensive modern techs make it impossible to keep them bankrupt.

Open [ptw] 1.21 (Euro)

I kept the other civ's on tech parity throughout the MA, but since they weren't really contributing anything, I stopped gifting away techs. Only when one or more civs were willing to pay something substantial, I sold to all of them.

I got medicine for free and speeded towards Theory of Evolution, to get the famous slingshot effect. I only got it half right, though, I think : I had a prebuild in place to finish Darwin's Voyage as soon as I discovered ToE, which brought me to electronics, but then I hadn't thought of setting up a prebuild for Hoover, so that took another 30 turns. I used that time to rush factories everywhere.

Meanwhile, gold was pouring in by the thousands. My mistake here was that I remained peaceful (mainly due to time-constraints). I used most of the gold to rush cultural improvements and defensive military units, but those didn't really add anything significant towards my end-goal (spaceship). That's probably one of the things that set me below the top-players : should've focused on the goal and let my military forces loose without compromising the 4-turn research. BTW, my territory was gradually becoming too small to support 4-turn research anyway.

Didn't have rubber in my territory, but traded for it with Hannibal (giving old tech's). The other civ's were broke most of the time, and most were polite or gracious. Didn't have the feeling I was racing against one or two civ's in particular...

As Pierre the French foreign affairs officer arrived in Athens via the wonderful new rail system, he passed numerous pictures of Alexander adorning the streets.The publicity shots, obviously taken after Alexanders rhinoplasty,featured alexander's very smug little grin and his very non-greek nose. Pierre was surprised to come across Alexander sitting by himself on a hill overlooking Athens. He approached Alexander nervously for this was a great man indeed and not to be trifled with.Greece was a great nation with cutting edge technology research and the diplomatic skills to onsell this technology wisely. Pierre himself had been soundly castigated by Joan for paying too much for these wonderful new ideas while more backward nations seemed to pay almost nothing just a short time later for the same research. Pierre often received a gift of gold upon arrival in athens but always seemed to leave empty handed, a situation he was determined to address.
Pierre's train ride had also passed not one but three possible sites for the Ironworks, thinking of Joan's own lack of resources he tried to recall the current strengh of French military with an avaristic longing but shuddered as he gazed upon all the greek infantry who had obviously been trained from their previous ranks of musketmen and riflemen. Alexander explained that all the greek troops were kept close to the cities/womenfolk as some disturbing practises had emerged when all the boys were left to play together.
Pierre noted smugly that alexander had grown quite lazy , failing to micomanage his towns and allowing the people to become quite rebellious before appeasing them with tax cuts and spending on community health. My time is worth more than a few points explains alexander. Overall the greeks are a happy race having never sacrificed population for the sake of a quicker rushed job and with plenty of luxuries to appease the peasants.
Pierre’s job was to suggest to Alexander that if France and all the other nations were not paying so much gpt they could conduct more of their own research and everyone could get to space sooner. But Alexander continued to look downcast and sad. Pierre passed on Joan’s respects and went through the general ass kissing routine before enquiring why Alexander was so sad.
With a sweeping gesture of his arm Alexander said : "you see these
wonderful roads connecting the perfectly planned cities, do the people call me Alexander the great town planner and builder of roads and rail? Malacca, no they don't"
Pierre says they are wonderful roads but Alexander cuts him off "you see these great wonders" pointing towards Sun Tzu, Copernicus, Newtons, Smiths, JS Bach, Great Library, suffrage etc “do they call me Alexander the builder of great wonders, mallaca, no they don’t”. Pierre praises these wonders the envy of his own and many other civilisations but Alexander continues “you see these brimming marketplaces, banks and stock exchanges – the instruments of a truly great commercial nation, do they call me Alexander the wealthy? Malacca, no they do not”
“Er, what do they call you great one?” asks the now nervous Pierre.
“Alexander the shepherd” he laments, ...recalling an inappropraite evening spent with the herd

(is that clean enough cracker?)

playing open 1.29 and may even finish in time this month

[civ3] open

As the industrial age started, and i got nationalism for free(as usual), i was on my way into russia with my army of cavalry.

My territory at this point consisted of my native lands, and all of germany. I was rushing building a Forbidden Palace in germany, something i finished right after the industrial age started.'

I finished off russia rather fast, and went after france as soon as i could, before they could get riflemen. That was a slight mistake on my part, they did have riflemen, but only a few, and that invasion went smooth too.

I researched steam power - industrialization - electricity - got medicine from the AI - researched scientific method - replacable parts - got communism and espionage from the AI - got atomic theory and electronics from TOE and got myself hoover dam :D Then i researched corporation, steel and refining, and this story has to stop.

As i was busy researching, i industrialized my core, and the new german core, and moved into the keltic highlands with my cavalry. The keltoi had always been a bit slow in my game, so they only had gunpowder when i moved in. This invasion was still more tricky than i'd thought it would be, because of all the hills, but i managed.

Now my little country was growing into a vast empire, which included all of my continent, except the minoan and ottoman lands. I hoped to get my hands on those lands too.. eventually.

Oh yeah.. and resources was of course no problem, though i was a bit surprised by the lack of oil and rubber in large parts of my empire.

The ONLY source of rubber i had was located under the french town of Tours. Luckily for the other players, there was one by the minoan capitol, which i hadnt, unlike most others, captured yet.

There were a few AI's lacking these resources. I didnt wanna sell them to them though, because i was planning on a domination victory. I did sell some of them coal at one point, but rubber and oil, i kept to myself.

Nice write-up DaLightHorseman!! I'll get around to mine soon. (Though, not as entertaining as that one :))

Concerning Oil and Rubber: Not much of an issue really, as I owned a lot of the oil and was selling it off to other civs. Rubber I had to buy, but not for overly long. Iron seemed plentiful but some large civs didn't even have it. I didn't sell it to them though, in fear of them building a decent army.
I maintained a tech lead all the way through industrial and was making HUGE wads of cash from other civs. France and Russia in particular were more than half of my total income. Science was at 100% for the entire period. It may be cheaper to buy techs off the AI than researching it yourself, but there is an added bonus of being able to keep the opposition bankrupt if you do the hard yards yourself.
Upon discovery of steam power I pumped out at least 30 workers and got them working on railroads (see image). This provided a huge production/cash boost that should never be underestimated. This was handy in securing TOE which pushed me closer to getting Hoover.
Coal appeared near an existing source of iron but not within reach of the same city :( I built a new city in between so I could take advantage of an Iron Works.
I started building several Galleons in readiness to convert to Transports when the time was right to mount a full scale invasion of Atlantis. Lots of prime, juicy, land to be had there. (Besides, they had already declared war on me, they were just asking for trouble)
Joan seemed to be the Queen of Ironclads as half a dozen sailed past me nearly every turn.
Industrial was quite uneventful in terms of war, but yet again I secured most of the wonders, which I split between Athens and Sparta.

Attachments

• busy.jpg
    busy.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 860
Conquest, PTW

Synopsis: Greek Republic from acquistion of Nationalism in 1110
to discovery of Motorized Transport in 1565.

We start in mid-pack, barely keeping up with tech,
doing OK with populution and economy,
with Leo's as our only wonder.

In the period we take Germany and Minos
(except the German wine cities that Osman poached :cringe: )
and arrange counteralliances that send the entire world to war.

Build Theory of Evolution (Pyrrhus), Universal Suffrage (Hector), and Hoover Dam (work),
and capture the Pyramids, Sun Tzu's, and the Cathedral and Chapel.

There are some decent cities in the core; I'll have about 8 cities doing over 70 shields with factories+hydro once the near German cities are kitted out and grow; a couple around 100 already, and there's population headroom. (I plunked the FP down between Minos and Germany before ever firing a shot.)

Take sole tech lead through trade, TOE, and scientific status.
Overtake world in size, population, and manufacturing;
GNP climbs to second place.

Resources were generally on hand, though some countries were hurting. Various great powers had no oil or rubber.

One fun moment: we got Replaceable Parts while fighting for Knossos; that was the only Rubber around, so we had to wait a few turns before the Ka-chink upgrade of 70 rifles to infantry.

Greece, the only country at peace, just prior to the discovery of motorized transport:

:cringe:

Things are really turning around for me. I was still in last place a couple thousand years into the game, but now around 1400 AD I'm up to third place and definitely going to romp to a (late and low scoring) win.

I got very, VERY lucky with the placement of Thermopolyie (sp?). ICS placed it east of Athens such that it was able to build an Iron Works, PLUS it has one square that is just touching the river to the easy, so it was able to do Hoovers.

I have a definite tech lead now. I did a double pre-build to pick up ToE (no competition for its construction, but still sped it up nicely), which got me to Hoovers, which the second pre-build put me only 4 or 5 turns away from, so soon after things were really cranking.

I took advantage of my tech lead to fight neighbors when the tech disparity made it most advantageous. So my cavalry wiped out the Minoans, and then cavalry and infantry took a bunch of German cities until others had infantry. Now I'm about to unleash a tank barrage against the remainder of the Germans and Ottomans, but I believe the details of that will have to wait for the next spoiler :)

I got kind of lucky with rubber as I researched replaceable parts only a little bit after booting the Minoans out of their peninsula.

Oil wasn't much of a problem - by the time I got that I had it in a few spots.

Luxuries are still an issue for me though. I picked up a few in recent conquests, but miss those games where I manage to fill my cities' luxory windows. I believe initial drives in my coming wars will be to procure more for my citizens.

Open [civ3]

Middle Age Post

Left off in 1255AD emerged in Democracy with 6000GP and tech lead.

I found that I had lots of coal, built railroad using the workers that I had, didn't build too many more as I'd built so many early on and got more through wars. Rushed Coal Plants in Athens and Sparta, and subsequently got all wonders from this point. I found that I had more oil than I knew what to do with.

1410AD at last managed to rebuild a palace and do a palace jump to Frankfurt. On my last post I realised I had messed this up so had to rebuild the palace (I had built 2 wonders in Athens). Clearly this cost me a lot of gold, but as I had so much I wasn't too worried.

Found that I had one source of Rubber in my zone, and one just outside that was easy to get.

No wars in this period, plan was to build tanks before the next war. I kept the AI bankrupt and at least 3-4 techs behind. I'm not sure how to get the best score, but just decided that this was going to be a UN win, I could easily have won with Space, and probably domination from this point. Frankly I was a little nervous as this is my second GOTM and would be my first win, so I thought to get the quickest safest win I could get, I wonder if UN is really a safe way to go?

In reading smackster's post, it brings up the question, what happens if you reach multiple win conditions on the same turn? How does the game handle it if you get domination and space race on the same turn? I know it wont change the score bonus for winning early but will it cause the game to crash?

I'm not sure if it is possible in my game but it might be fun to try.

Melifluous PTW 1.21 Open

Let me try and keep this one brief with edited highlights of this Age

I was making so much money in this game it wasn't even funny...

Turn 198 ( 830AD) - Magnetism (Nationalism free tech) -> Steam Power. Research to 90% (will get in 6turns). Olus worker -> temple. Incense City bank -> temple. Plebos Nexia granary -> Cathedral. Komos worker -> temple. Nirou worker -> Harbor. Myrtos worker -> temple. Sell Theory of Gravity to Russia for WM, 60gpt and 420 gold. Gift everyone at least Chemistry. Sell Theory of Gravity to Carthage for WM, 23gpt and 15gold.

Turn 212 ( 970AD) - Sell Medicine to Carthage for WM, 132 gpt and 140gold. Sell medicine to Russia for WM, 56gpt and 80gold. Sell nationalism to Egypt for 15gpt and 50 gold. Sell nationalism to Ottomans for 66gpt and 80gold. Sell Nationalism to Persia for 11gpt and 30 gold. Get Hittites to the IA for 7gpt and 11gold. Gift all other civs up to the IA except Germany cos they suck ;)

Turn 215 (1000AD) - Electricity -> Scientific Method. Research 100%, 4 turns, +511gpt. Hurry some stuff (about 4000gold).

Turn 222 (1070AD) - Sparta ToE (Atomic Theory + Electronics) -> Sanitation and colosseum. Research to 80%, 4turns, 698gpt.

Turn 223 (1080AD) - Hmm Germans move 8 knights into my territory, sneak attack? They are polite. too polite. I upgrade all my hoplites to rifles, all my knights to Cavs, all my warriors/swords to Med Inf. I draft a rifleman in the city they are next to. My 5 cannon move to the front. I tell the germans to get out or declare war. They declared war.
IT - They move into my territory to attack Ephesus. Not close enough.
Turn 224 (1090AD) - 8 cavs attack 8 knights onna hill = 8 dead knights.

Turn 231 (1160AD) - Industrialization -> Replacable Parts.

Turn 233 (1180AD) - I take Bonn and get new Berlin for peace.

Turn 238 (1230AD) - Athens Factory -> Hospital. Thermopylae Hoover dam -> Factory.

Turn 251 (1305AD) - Thermopylae Universal Suffrage -> hospital.

Turn 252 (1310AD) - Refining -> Steel. 100% research, 4 turns, +787gpt.

Turn 261 (1355AD) - Sign a ROP with Russia as they wander lots of cossacks into my territory. Hope they chill out. I dont wanna war :(
Turn 262 (1360AD) - Russians attack and take Ephesus :( It was defended by a single med inf :$ ) Still at least their rep is shot now. Time to rally the Civs against them. Menudo City Intelligence agency. Wake up artillery in Corinth (11 units), arties, cav and inf kill all visible Cossacks and retake Ephesus. Pay the Ottomans Combustion to join the war against Russia. Pay Carthage Combustion to join the war against Russia. Pay EVERYONE to declare on the Russians.
Turn 263 (1365AD) - All visible Russians are dead, back to my research.

We get flight in 1430AD, and start the big push towards the Space Race victory.

Resources were no problem at all, after taking the Minoans, I had all I needed.

I am also serious tech leader, no-one gets close unless I sell it.

Ottomans are my closest rivals, they even have a higher score than me, but I sell my techs for GPT and keep ONE tech ahead of the AI at all times.

No worries on the war front. I crushed the Minoans when I got Knights. The Germans attacked when I had just got cavalry and the Russians attacked not long before tanks.

BTW, with an aliiance with EVERYONE against the Russians, they lasted about 7 turns, I barely had time to get troops up there with an ROP and take their last city...

Space Race is gonna be easy and around 1600AD I think...

Melifluous

1.29 - Conquest
First time at GOTM, and only sixth game overall. Presently playing Warlord. It was about this time that my learning curve went vertical and I started to see the ramifications of my earlier decisions.
As I got into the Industrial ages I was still behind in techs. I had conquered Germany and Russia. I made a mistake not taking out Volak early, because he would be sitting on the only rubber on my continent. I had tried to take Knossos but fo some reason my calvs could not defend themselves sitting on that mountain north of Knossos. I had at least four elite calv on the mountain lose in defense to regular spearmen. I think the RNG kicked my butt. So I was sweating Rubber.
I started a concerted effort to get caught up in Techs and by the end of the Industrials I was ahead of everyone but Hannabaline. {SirBugsy, I specifically said to noy discuss any aspects of the game in the Moderan Age or that would require oil warfare - cracker}

What would I have done differently?
1. Obviously taken out Knossos earlier with a much larger army.

2. Start a tech push back in ancient days. It is amazing how much money you can get for techs if you are ahead, and how dear they are when you are behind. Once I got gpt rolling in, I was able to maximize the science budget (adjusting as the due date got to 1 and 2 turns).

3. Look for a civ with a large tech lead and start a war against them early in the game. Carthage idn't have a lot of territory, but they are a researching machine. Look for ways to slow them down earlier.

- [ptw] 1.21

Spoiler 1
Spoiler 2

Early on, I had decided I wanted to win this via Space Ship. However, I also wanted to maximize my score, so while the primary focus was 4 turn techs, I also built a formidable army to conquer. I wanted to try to reach the domination limit about the same time as the space ship launch. The downside to this is that I wanted to keep the AI stunted in the tech department. I would not keep them at tech parity to help me research, as that would slow down any domination plans. I decided to use a moderate (30 units) force to conquest - using superior technology - I could not risk having a large army slow down my tech research rate.

You'll note I never mention ANY resources, simply because they were never a problem. The moment I learned a tech that opened a resource, I typically already had 2 or more of them connected to my empire.

610 AD - The Greeks entered the Industrial age and get Nationalism as their free tech. Well, there goes another 4 turns down the drain. Start on Steam. Capital is jumped via GL into the center of Ottoman lands. At the start of the middle age, this is what my world looked like:

Soon, the world would have a lovely 'Green sky'.

620 - 790 AD - The continuation of the Celt wars.
The Celts would finally be eliminated by 790 AD. They had some rough terrain to get through - slowing the cavalry down tremendously towards the end. At one point, to help cross the water gap between Russia and the Celts, I rush a frigate in a captured Celt town. Then spend about 30 seconds wondering why I can't load any units into it. Not my finest civ moment. :blush: Needless to say, it gets disbanded and a galleon is rushed in its place. Good thing I have more money than I know what to do with. :lol:

During this period, the Greeks research Steam Power, Electricity and Scientific Method in that order. The other AI contributes Navigation. We manage to build Newton's in this timeframe which triggers our Golden Age. We also manage to capture Leonardo's, Great Library and the Sistine Chapel from the Celts. All four wonders were acquired in 2 'wonderlicious' turns. The great leaders Hector and Ulysses appear in this timeframe. One builds an army, the other waits for the AI to research Economics for smiths. By this time, I am far outpacing the AI in research. Every 20 turns, I will sell some random old middle-age tech to all the 'friendly' rich civs for all their gold to fuel my own research. The rich civs who could afford techs in my game consisted of Carthage, Persia, Spain and Egypt. To a lesser extent, the French, Atlantis and Hittites - They mostly got techs through lux deals, and between them, kept the Greeks at a constant 8 luxuries. Atlantis was large in land, but poor and backwards. Babylon was several techs behind the rest. Rome was still in the ancient ages with his 2 cities. The poor Zulu were being beat on by several civs - mostly thanks to my earlier alliances against them.

800 - 960 AD - The Russian war.
They would be eliminated in 960 AD, the Greek cavalry taking 2-4 cities per turn the whole way. The cavalry mostly encountered spearmen and pikemen with an occasional musketman. Furthermore, Catherine had captured (with Knights) all but 3 German cities up to this point - so Catherine owned a lot of land. While her attack forces were west in Germany, our Cavalry marched in from the far east. Catherine would not live long enough to build her UU or see her Golden Age.

Tech selling continued every 20 turns. My tech lead was growing larger. I would build Hoover's, Magellan's Voyage, Theory of Evolution and an Iron Works in Corinth during this timeframe. Corinth also housed our military academy, and was capable of producing a new army every 5 turns. Tech-wise, I would learn replaceable parts (needed badly for worker speed), Industrialization, Atomic Theory, Electronics and Radio in that order. Indus, AT and Elec all on one turn as ToE completed the same turn I finished research on Industrialization. I elected to go with Radio first so my GA would help get this expensive tech quicker. This gambit failed as my GA ended with 1 turn left to go on the tech, which bumped it up to 5 turns needed total. :( The AI would contribute Democracy and Economics. Great Leader Jason appears - who was used for Hoover. You can see the conquest direction below:

970 - 980 AD - The short German War.
He was down to three cities thanks to the Russians. I simply put him out of his misery. I would also research Corporation during this war and get Free artistry from the AI. Libraries were being rushed in all newly captured cities after 1 turn to fill in all the land gaps.

980 - 1170 AD- Peace time.
I had wanted to go after France next - she made herself an attractive target by sending dozens of workers unprotected through Greek lands. She also had Luxuries I wanted to permanently secure. But she had picked up Nationalism. I was very close to Motorized Transport at this time, so I decided to wait for that advantage and polish off infrastructure (factories) and prep for tanks. Tech-wise, I researched Refining, Steel, Combustion, Mass production and Motorized Transport in that order. The AI would contribute nothing. They were all at war - the most notable war being a Spanish/Persian war. Rome had decided to ally with the Zulu at one point, and their 2 cities were quickly captured by the Spanish. Shaka himself was down to a mere 3 or 4 cities. Atlantis would extort me twice for techs. Both times he backed down when I told him to go away. I was now 1 tech (flight) away from the Modern age...and the French were about to feel the wrath of Greek tanks....which were starting to load into pre-build armies from the city of Corinth. The armies were simply itching to remove the ugly pink stains from the 'green sky'.

Here is a picture at 1010AD - shortly before the elimination of the Romans - and the Greek Invasion of France - which would be considered outside the scope of this thread.

I am new to the gotm. How do I know that my submission went through? I won the game, and want to get a ranking with all of the truly great players that compete on a regular basis.

nevermind, I got it. My internet connection is SLOW.

I was the first to the industrial age with my original expansion of fully built out cities. Upon entering the industrial age I pulled steam power, yeah baby. I proceeded to depop my cities by building workers and stopped building workers in cities that got down to a size 6.

I sold a few techs for gpt and set tech to max to proceed to the industrialization. Upon industrialization, I started to tech electricity and switched cities over to factories while rushing a factory/coal plant in Athens when cash was available but tech was set to min and started on U.S.

Electricity came in and set research to min while rushing factories and coal plants. Once a coal plant was built I started building musket men. During this long period a civ researched nationalism and traded steam power for nationalism + 1k gold. I then upgraded hoplites and musket and pulled out my existing warriors for future garrison duty. Once I had 4 riflemen per city I proceeded to build cav until I had 32 with more coming on line.

With fully railed cities I advanced upon the Minoan lands. I took the Minoans out in 5 to 7 turns while researching sci method. TOE was in Athens with a palace prebuild. (I had moved my palace earlier in a failed JS Bachs attempt to Sparta).

I eliminated every Minoan city by he had a settler somewhere so I settled for a peace treaty and put some rush money into court houses/libraries and markets in my new lands.

My attention turned to Germany and my future FP. I had 100ish cav when I launched my attack and Germany had some rail completed by was mostly roads. My cav decimated Germanys military and completed my invasion in 10 turns or so.

During this time, I timed a FP->palace pre build for Hoover at my city southern city of Thermopylae. By the time the German invasion ended I had Hoover built, I traded for rep parts, medicine and refining and noticed I had both resources inside my empire.

At this point, I had not paid much attention to the world around me. I took notice of the Atlantians continuing wars with Spain; the Ottomans are almost completely wiped out by the Celts. The Celts and Russians and me dominated on the northern continent. I also saw the demise of the Egyptians and Hittites, which made their neighbors very powerful.

Post war consisted of researching sanitation and radio, selling/trading for communism and corporation while building exchanges, garrisoning new cities and pouring cash into my new second capitol of Konigsberg.

Top Bottom