Pre-ChaNES: Into the Void

The European Union requests that the Islamic Confederation leadership submit itself to the will of the International Court of Justice and be tried for war crimes. This is necessary to prevent further war, and prevent colossal, possibly catastrophic damages. The IC will most likely survive, should the ICJ's requests be acquiesced to. However, should the IC leadership refuse, the EU will most likely give up its attempts to broker a peace.

To: The European Union

So long as you do not interfere with the conflict, we do not mind what it is you do. It is clear that the United States of America and the Russian Federation do not wish for peace, and we will meet their force with our force and emerge victorious. We will, however, still hand over our nuclear weapons to China, as they are a neutral third party that will prevent any actions along those lines taken by ourselves. We will defeat the United States and its pathetic lackeys on force alone.

TO: European Union
CC: Global Transmission

It becomes increasingly clear that the Confederation will not submit to any assemblage of international pressure, of any degree of magnitude, short of armed intervention. The Confederation has made it clear in both word and deed that force is the only language it understands and the only language it will listen to.

The flagrant rejection of world opinion, reflected in the outright dismissal of the findings of the ICJ and ICC both before and after their verdicts were delivered is indicative of the refusal of the Confederation to submit to law or to the collective will of the people of Earth.

Although we have disagreed strongly with the European Union until this time as to the proper course to take in dealing with this matter, it is apparent we are gradually coming to reside in approximately equivalent positions regarding the matter. It is also clear to both our nations that the Confederation regards no power as a higher authority than itself, and that it will not submit to any law or any reason.

For these reasons, we once more call upon the European Union to commit to the position of actively working to ensure the resolution of this issue through any and all means necessary, and to join with the Russian Federation, the United States of America, and a coalition of willing states to show that the world will not tolerate the continued hostile actions of rogue states in this day and age, and that its opinion will be respected.

OOC: Iggy, check your e-mail box since you have 200 PMs for some unfathomable reason. :p Head Serf, I could actually use a goddamn reply, it would be helpful.

I'm setting the deadline for orders at a week from this post. For this update especially, it's important to note that you should list any diplomatic agreements you've made in your orders. Contingencies for various possible outcomes are also appreciated.

Regarding players of entities other than the main four, players should keep in mind that they need to get the consent of a major power to use their Stigma skimways - and that this consent must be reflected in the major power's orders as well.

Lurkers Comment: And so it begins. ISC, do you have any idea what you are getting into? Russia has crazy manpower, and US has crazy @$$ money. Once they combine, do you honestly have a chance?

OOC: It's a question of principle.

Elections in the European Union have resulted in the leadership of Francesco Caballero-Dias. Caballero-Dias, as one of his main election points, has promised to take a stronger stand against the Islamic Confederation.

To: Islamic Confederation

We once again insist that the government of the Islamic Confederation surrenders itself to the ICJ to be tried for war crimes.

@Lord Iggy
thoughts on the offer to purchase the use of your skimways? we will be paying you a modest fee, and the colonist would be immigrating to your colonies.

I thought that I accepted...

What exactly does your organization do? I'll probably let you use the skimways, for an operational fee.

Estimated to employ about 30% of Africans population, and 8% of South America’s population. About 25 million are employed in the USA and the EU. Perhaps another 10 million are employed in other areas worldwide.
OOC: What the hell kind of corporation employs 300 to 400 million people? It would have to be a monopoly in virtually every single possible industry in the main countries of operation, and would thus be the de facto government of those countries.

It would basically be a metanat, and it couldn't conceivably be the only one--or if it was, virtually everybody would be conducting legal affairs against it.

OOC: Oh god, as if any nation would want other nations' people coming into their colonies :rolleyes:

Symphony's criticism is a valid one - I may have rushed through my PM response to you, TerrisH, and not accurately expressed how the conglomerate's structure would be best changed. I'd say that the degree of control over the member businesses is implied to be far too great for the number of businesses that would have to make up the APC, for its employee base to reach anywhere near the number's you've described.

hmm, a bit over the top. Okay, I dropped it to 10% and 2% of the population, respectively.. perhaps 20-30% more of the industry in africa have been part of the APC and one time, but was released and sold to bisnisses outside the APC to promote economic stability.
Yes, I intended to have them economically control Africa from the start, and have heavy influence on the African governments. I originally had them employing 60%, but that would be to much of a stretch. to easily to economically collapse, and to big of a threat to outside powers.
they Are a Mega-corp style entity. they are meant to have significant power.

and alex, yes, they likely would. we would be paying them for the skimway use, paying for people we are sending their's ride, and they would be getting more citizens(they would become citizens on the nation in question) and a larger genetic base essentially for free. considering most of these colonies are still low population, (the largest has a few million?) this is a viable tactic. we will eventually start establishing our own colonies, but for now, the best help.

hmm, a bit over the top. Okay, I dropped it to 10% and 2% of the population, respectively.. perhaps 20-30% more of the industry in africa have been part of the APC and one time, but was released and sold to bisnisses outside the APC to promote economic stability.
Yes, I intended to have them economically control Africa from the start, and have heavy influence on the African governments. I originally had them employing 60%, but that would be to much of a stretch. to easily to economically collapse, and to big of a threat to outside powers.
they Are a Mega-corp style entity. they are meant to have significant power.
OOC: I think you continue to underestimate the situation. Africa currently has about 900,000,000 people, and South America has about 370,000,000. Assuming a very conservative growth rate of 1%, that is a multiplier of 2.5x by 2100, or 2.25 billion for Africa and 925 million for South America. Even if this is dismissed as "extreme" for some reason and those numbers are halved, that still leaves you with a company with 121,750,000 employees. Put another way: slightly less than the entire population of modern day Japan.

That's not a Megacorp. That's a damn country. Walmart, today's largest private employer, has 1.9 million employees.

Even assuming the existence of a Megacorp, its basis is in economic power, not in people. There is no reasonable justification for a Megacorp having such a large employee base as all that does is increase cost overhead. Ideally it would have as few people as possible.

Secondly, the existence of an entity that powerful defies logic and common sense in this setting. Nation-states are not weak. In fact, a select few of them are stronger than ever. The existence of Megacorps relies upon the decay of the power-structure of nation-states, and they do not exist alone in vacuums. Where there is one, there must be several, as otherwise there is absolutely nothing to prevent nation-states from attacking the sole Megacorp for economic reasons and on economic terms, let alone through the mechanisms of organizations such as the World Trade Organization and localized trading blocs.

Even if your corporation were scaled down to a tenth of its current size, and even if all of these regulatory trade organizations had been for some reason dismantled, unless the world was for some unfathomable reason exercising total laissez-faire economics, in exercising the kind of influence you imagine it would have it would be embroiled in every sort of legal battle imaginable in the courts of the superpowers against local companies and several that had no qualms at all about open protectionism of their domestic markets (the EU, USA, and PRC, to extrapolate modern trends) would probably have no issues at all whatsoever with freezing any assets you might have.

It's just unfeasible and illogical in this setting. This is a world of countries, not corporations. Maybe particularly strong ones will develop eventually, but for one able to go toe-to-toe with the major powers beneath the four supers to have just been idling around unnoticed until now is ridiculous.

and alex, yes, they likely would. we would be paying them for the skimway use, paying for people we are sending their's ride, and they would be getting more citizens(they would become citizens on the nation in question) and a larger genetic base essentially for free. considering most of these colonies are still low population, (the largest has a few million?) this is a viable tactic. we will eventually start establishing our own colonies, but for now, the best help.

OOC: That assumes they want a people that is unable to speak their language, culturally different and with suspect loyalties due to your... "Corporation"'s influence. Symphony's right you know :p

OOC: I apologize for my disappearance. I will do my best to get some proper orders in for the deadline.

Nevermind. to much anger. needless to say, your argument still dose not convince me. the APC works by Building up industry, running until it makes enough cash to pay back the start up costs, then selling the business to another party or the one currently running the business for a modest fee. some of the more profitible ones, they keep, but they are not running this thing fro their own profit. well, not exclusively. the board is closed, and all but a few who sit on it were once dreamers and Idealists.
I still do not see your point.

A corporation 'not running this thing for their own profit'? I can understand idealism, but this statement seems incongruous to me.

Top Bottom