Installing Civ 4 on Windows Vista / 7 / 8 / 8.1 / 10 / 11 (32-/64-bit)

Sounds like a problem with the CD then.

Huh. I don't see why I would, as it worked fine before I got the computer worked on.

That fact that you can't copy all the files rings alarm bells for me.

Another thing I have seen in search the web for answers to weird DVD drive issues and Win7 is that the drive firmware may need to be upgraded.

That fact that you can't copy all the files rings alarm bells for me.

Another thing I have seen in search the web for answers to weird DVD drive issues and Win7 is that the drive firmware may need to be upgraded.

Where might I find said update? Or should I get a new disc?

Hi, i've Installed Civ4, Warlords and BTS. Civ4 and Warlords work fine but when it comes to BTS as the game is loading up (around the time it says INIT/MP Voice) or something close to that Windows 7 closes it down saying 'Beyond the Sword has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop etc.. but it cannot find a solution to the problem.

Civ4 and Warlords work fine and are completely playable. I am using 32-Bit Windows 7 Professional and i have read some other threads on this forum and i am pretty sure i am the administrator and i installed Civ4 as administrator.

Thanks for any help!

Hmm. I tried a different CivIV disc, and it didn't work any better. What driver update ought I install?

Civ4 and Warlords work fine and are completely playable. I am using 32-Bit Windows 7 Professional and i have read some other threads on this forum and i am pretty sure i am the administrator and i installed Civ4 as administrator.
To install as Administrator, you need to right-click on the setup file and "run as Administrator". And you need to do this for every game and patch.By default, you are not an administrator.
Hmm. I tried a different CivIV disc, and it didn't work any better. What driver update ought I install?
You DVD drive may require a firmware update. Contact you DVD drive manufacturer for the file and instructions on how to install.

My computer says I'm fully updated. Crap.

Hardware Firmware is different to Windows Drivers. It's a bit like the BIOS of your motherboard except for DVD drives only.

I may have found the problem. A while ago, I got a new graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT), as my old one was causing some of my games to freeze. I downloaded a test, which found that my display adapter (the graphics card, methinks) is out of date. I could attempt to fix this using Driver Detective, but that'll cost me. What do you advise?

Okay i uninstaled and re-installed as Administrator but again the same thing happens with Beyond the Sword, as its loading up the xml / sound files it crashes. Sorry for all the questions

All the patches need to be run as administrator as well. And you did install into C:\Games\Civ4 as well ...

@Phrossack: You should ensure all your drivers are always up to date.

I'm having problems with IV freezing at the Hall of Fame. I first got up IV and installed under XPHome. Everything ran fine until I retired or won and got to loading the Hall of Fame. It would often take anywhere from 2 to 30 min to load (appeared the later the "year" the longer to load). Once loaded it would take just as long to exit to next screen. Once I got to that screen, speeds would return to normal. I got a new laptop in Aug., 2010 with Win Vista. Now whenever I retire or try to open directly to Hall of Fame, the program freezes. I can not view Hall of Fame and always get error message "program not responding". I've had an open ticket with Firaxis since Oct/2010 on this. I get no help from them. Since I only play IV, those are the only patches I've loaded. Any suggestions, other than trashing game?

I can't seem to install Civ4 in any other than the default directory. I chose custom install and then I am offered a "browse" button, but that doesn't do anything. Any ideas?

BTW, I'm using a rather new and up-to-date installation of Win7 64bit.

Have you read the preparation steps. i.e. created a new folder called "Games"

I read that. I have a folder called that. On D:, though. I cannot install software on C:, it being purely a Win7 partition on an SSD, and thus rather small. Most of my default folders (except program files, unfortunately) are off-drive, too.

You should be able to browse to that folder on D: then

My new Win7 PC is running BtS fine....so far. We shall see how happy I am in a month. I suggest:

1. Install as Admin
2. Do not install in default folder. Set up a special directory for games directly in the root directory, i.e. c:\Games or something like it.
3. I made a point of getting Win7 Ultimate because it seems to support XP games better.

Not sure if this is the right place, but anyway....

Since re-installing Civ4 I have found that it keeps crashing. RAM and CPU are not the problem, as this is not 400 turns into Huge games, rather it seems to happen at random intervals. My HDD is down to only 40gb free space, but I wouldn't have thought this would affect things.

It has occurred playing BtS & Vanilla.

I generally play HoF & GOTM games, so I invariably am running the HoF mods.

Suspect that it is an OS issue, (Windows7 btw). I've just uninstalled/reinstalled again, but I was wondering if anyone else has had similiar issues and potential remedies.

I've had a similar problem to Moorkh while attempting to install Warlords as i am also using a small SSD for my OS, but simply because when I boot up the Warlords install (even as admin) it doesn't give me the option to browse to my chosen folder in my large Hard drive. Thoughts?

Top Bottom