US Gov't Sues Arizona Over Immigration Law

This law only works if racial profiling is done

Racial profiling is illegal.

Not to mention "pre-emption" Legally speaking, AZ has no case. Debate whether or not something should be done, fine, but how they did it does not follow the constitution's guidelines on federal and state power.

FactCheck.org on the law - Obey the frog! Read and learn.

My favorite part - by far - is the provision allowing people to sue over less-than-full enforcement. In their opinion, at least.

First:

1) Yeah, just like the federal law. :rolleyes:
2) I'm already invested in worm canning company.

@FriendlyFire: The big problem you're overlooking is that Obama doesn't publicly adopt a hard-ass attitude toward immigration despite the current record of deportations. It's nothing but pure partisan politics: Pander to his base, and then try to make the other party look bad by outperforming them. Why should we give him any credit for that?

This. I mean look at all the illegals that get in. The federal government isn't quiet doing it right it seems. And I love it when people bring up racial profiling. They have to profile to some extant, Arizona's illegal problems are mainly from south of the boarder.

It's not like that could be done at all. And any serious attempt would cost far more than the benefit. Look at the war on drugs. 40 years, a trillion dollars spent, 0 effect. It's very much the same problem with illegal immigrants.

Part 2: Both parties in Congress refuse to reform immigration. And have been doing so for years. Bush could not get a reform through while the Republicans held Congress. How is it so different now?

3: The Arizona law requires the police to violate the Constitution. No way is that legal.

Look at the war on drugs. 40 years, a trillion dollars spent, 0 effect. It's very much the same problem with illegal immigrants.

Zero effect? Come on - credit where credit is due: We've had a lot more violence and suffering than if we'd approached drug use primarily as a pubic health problem.
Did you learn nothing from Prohibition?!?!

It's not like that could be done at all. And any serious attempt would cost far more than the benefit. Look at the war on drugs. 40 years, a trillion dollars spent, 0 effect. It's very much the same problem with illegal immigrants.
Presumably theres nothing to worry about then, as this law Arizona has won't have any effect.

On the fact-check piece

We would also note, as we have previously, that crime rates were at historic lows in 2008 in Arizona, the most recent year for which figures are available.

Except to violate the Constitutional rights of legal residents and citizens....

Doesn't the bill leave open the possibility for those people that fall into this category, the freedom to sue and be compensated fiscally?

Doesn't the bill leave open the possibility for those people that fall into this category, the freedom to sue and be compensated fiscally?

Who the hell cares if it does? I'm sure the people would much rather not be dragged off to jail by some bigot cop for no reason at all.

Who the hell cares if it does? I'm sure the people would much rather not be dragged off to jail by some bigot cop for no reason at all.

If I had a good chance at getting a large cash settlement over a civil suit afterwards, I'd totally be willing to endure that hardship.

I think the possibility of paying out lots of settlements because of violations of citizens' rights, is as much of an argument for this bill, as the fear of potential racial profiling is against this bill.

I love how the left somehow equates the AZ law with this buzzword "bigotry / bigoted". I'd love for somebody to indicate where in the approved legislation the notion of bigotry can even be construed. Does it even identify the obvious truth that 96% of all undocumented people in Arizona are Latino (and 85% hail from Mexico)? And of course we have to make the connection!!! We know what those "bigots" are up too!!!

Now, if one is a bigot because he/she enforces said law, then it must be out of ignorance? What?

Maybe some people don't know what the word means. That is most likely.

~Chris

** ICE goals for FY 2010

Real useful information there. :lol:

Just what I thought when I saw it!

To Jericho Hill: Well, the immigration problem is mainly from south of the boarder, not north. How else are they going to find illegals?

To Cutlass: Well, Arizona's republican government just started.

I love how the left somehow equates the AZ law with this buzzword "bigotry / bigoted". I'd love for somebody to indicate where in the approved legislation the notion of bigotry can even be construed.
Openly discriminating against Latino Americans isn't "bigoted" to you? :lol:

http://www.examiner.com/x-4383-Port...ers-defeat-bigots-at-Miller-Valley-Elementary

Arizona is enjoying a small amount of redemption after public pressure and protest forced officials to reverse a blatantly racist decision. A decision made earlier this week by school officials to force artists to lighten the complexion of faces represented on a green transportation mural was reversed on Saturday.

Controversy at Miller Valley Elementary School in Prescott Arizona began after City Councilman Steve Blair asked school Principal Jeff Lane to order the mural artists to lighten the dark skin complexion of students represented on the mural. In response, Principal Jeff Lane ordered the mural project’s leader to lighten the skin tone.

However, Saturday, Principal Jeff Lane apologized, and said the decision was a mistake and that they "went back with their original theme". Lane's apology, and the School District's quick action to reverse the decision, is admirable. Yet the larger problem remains.

Why was the decision made in the first place? The decision was racist and cowardly. Lane and the school district administration were too quick to cave in to the demands of one bigoted city councilman, Steve Blair.

Blair's racist request, and the school officials' decision to grant the racist request, shocked and horrified a nation.

The racial madness in Arizona has been frightening: legalizing racial profiling, banning ethnic studies, dismissing teachers with accents, lauding "ethnic cleansing" policies, militarizing the border, seeking to abolish the 14th Amendment (the one that makes the bill of rights applicable to the states and makes anyone born here a citizen).

At least this is one place where Arizonans managed to do the right thing. Let's hope this is the beginning of a change towards tolerance and compassion in Arizona, and a move away from a bitter and angry inhumanity that has recently cursed the state.

Yet until Arizona repeals SB1070, or the courts throw it out for being unconstitutional, good and decent Americans are left with only one option: Boycott Arizona.
No. There is no bigotry in Arizona...

I love how the left somehow equates the AZ law with this buzzword "bigotry / bigoted".

Well, quite a bit of it is a knee-jerk reaction from so many conservatives being bigoted.

Which isn't at all fair. Just because a bunch of perhaps bigoted but certainly paranoid, whiny and old white people come up with a rather draconian law that'd primarily affect brown people doesn't mean that we should completely discount "paranoid", "whiny", and "old".

I'd love for somebody to indicate where in the approved legislation the notion of bigotry can even be construed.

The whole thing in itself. "Construed" is an awfully low bar.

Does it even identify the obvious truth that 96% of all undocumented people in Arizona are Latino (and 85% hail from Mexico)? And of course we have to make the connection!!! We know what those "bigots" are up too!!!

That's right. Most *real* bigots are extremely Machiavellian. This is way, way too obvious to be their work. (See first point above.)

Now, if one is a bigot because he/she enforces said law, then it must be out of ignorance? What?

I, too, think it's cool to rephrase statements into strawman-stupid questions (or just make them up) and then react with bafflement. Much better than simple sarcasm.

Maybe some people don't know what the word means. That is most likely.

I have a Firefox plug-in that allows me to highlight a word and look it up in an online dictionary. If this continues to be a problem for you I suggest you get the plug-in, or something similar.

Isnt illegal immigration into the US the lowest it has been in about 20 years ?

Yeah, apparently if you utterly ignore a problem its no longer a problem. Right? In other words, its rather hard to keep track of illegal immigration if you stop keeping track of it. Its the lowest it has been in 20 years because the current admin flat out refuses to enforce the law to any real degree. Thats not hard to figure out.

Yeah, apparently if you utterly ignore a problem its no longer a problem. Right? In other words, its rather hard to keep track of illegal immigration if you stop keeping track of it. Its the lowest it has been in 20 years because the current admin flat out refuses to enforce the law to any real degree. Thats not hard to figure out.

Sight cite site?

Actually, it's because of the recession. Less jobs in supply so therefore less demand for immigration.

I am still waiting for someone to point out how this law is bigoted, posted thus far have failed miserably.

Top Bottom