American WW2 Vet Discovers He's Not Even a U.S. Citizen!

Tani Coyote

Son of Huehuecoyotl
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelo...kout/wwii-vet-discovers-hes-not-a-u-s-citizen

Ninety-five-year-old Leeland Davidson discovered recently that he's not considered a U.S. citizen, despite living nearly 100 years in the country and serving in the U.S. Navy during WWII.

Davidson, from Centralia, Washington, told KOMO News that he discovered he wasn't a U.S. citizen when he was turned down for an enhanced driver's license he needed for a trip to Canada to visit relatives.

"We always figured because he was born to U.S. parents he's automatically a U.S. citizen," said Davidson's daughter, Rose Schoolcraft.

Davidson was born in British Columbia in 1916, but his parents didn't register the birth with the U.S. government to ensure they knew he was a citizen. He checked up on his citizenship before joining the Navy and was told by an inspector at the U.S. Department of Labor Immigration and Naturalization Service he had nothing to worry about. Now he worries that he won't be able to prove his citizenship, because his parents were born in Iowa before local governments started keeping records of birth certificates in 1880. "I want it squared away before I pass away," he says.

Schoolcraft says they tried to dissuade him from pursuing the matter. Employees at the local passport office scared them, telling her father "If he pursued it, (he could) possibly be deported or [be] at risk of losing Social Security."

"We keep telling him, leave it alone, leave it alone, and he won't, like a dog with a bone," Schoolcraft told the Centralia Chronicle. But Davidson says: "I want to get it done before I die." He also still wants to visit his friends and family in Canada. Sen Patty Murray's office is helping him with his application.

What the bloody hell, really?

That a veteran could even be deprived of SS or his residence in itself is just sickening. Citizenship should come automatically with extended service. These people put their lives on the line for our great nation and yet we spit on them like this?

Any of your thoughts?

I'm just... wow.

If I was his Congressman I'd do whatever I could to assist him, beaucoup points with voters

The idea of serving for an amount of time in the military and being granted citizenship for your service.... hmmm now where have I heard that before? Of course that would never really work in todays day and age but I agree that getting his local elected representative involved is a bonafide winner.

Overreact much?

He's not going to lose his social security or his residence.

This damn illegal has been leaching off of our system for nearly a century! He should be thrown in Gitmo for something like this!

The idea of serving for an amount of time in the military and being granted citizenship for your service.... hmmm now where have I heard that before? Of course that would never really work in todays day and age but I agree that getting his local elected representative involved is a bonafide winner.
You do realize it IS used, right?

Anyway, it'll get squared away. Something weird happened and it 'slipped through the cracks', but it'll get squared away.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelo...kout/wwii-vet-discovers-hes-not-a-u-s-citizen

What the bloody hell, really?

That a veteran could even be deprived of SS or his residence in itself is just sickening. Citizenship should come automatically with extended service. These people put their lives on the line for our great nation and yet we spit on them like this?

Any of your thoughts?

I'm just... wow.

What does his military service have to do with this? Seems like it is emphasized just to juice up the story more. He should be a citizen because his parents were citizens. At least that is how it is supposed to work.

...why wouldn't it work? :confused:

Americans idolise soldiers. It'd work just fine here.

He's not going to lose his social security or his residence.

Apparently he could in some cases.

Even so, the fact he served our country during one of our most important and easily-defendable conflicts and yet still wasn't given citizenship is ridiculous.

What does his military service have to do with this? Seems like it is emphasized just to juice up the story more. He should be a citizen because his parents were citizens. At least that is how it is supposed to work.

Sure but the fact he put his life on the line for the country and didn't receive it is quite a shocker, considering how much Americans respect and idolise the military.

Sure but the fact he put his life on the line for the country and didn't receive it is quite a shocker, considering how much Americans respect and idolise the military.

But it sounds as if it was just a clerical error. You can't expect ideals to be taken into account for simple mistakes..They are just mistakes after all.

If anything the fact he served and was told there was no problem would be less reason for anyone to catch the error.

Was he more deserving of citizenship than someone who is a citizen but didn't serve in the military? Well you can't really be more than 100% deserving of something...While serving your country is great and all, it doesn't mean he should be any more of a citizen under our current laws. :dunno:

Why is it a shocker that he didn't receive something that neither he nor anyone else knew he was missing?

Apparently he could in some cases.

Even so, the fact he served our country during one of our most important and easily-defendable conflicts and yet still wasn't given citizenship is ridiculous.

If he's not a US citizen, of course he technically could.

But he won't.

He wasn't given citizenship because nobody realized he wasn't a citizen. He didn't even realize it himself till recently and he's 95 years old for christ sakes.

You do realize it IS used, right?

Yes I realise that countries like the US do have non-citizens in their military and they utilise this as a means to gaining citizenship. What is is problematic though for these militaries is then having these non-citizens accessing some of the higher security clearance type roles.... which is why many of the smaller first world militaries avoid this like the plague. Even the US military is highly sensitive to foreign eyes being privy to their secrets so I am truely amazed that they still allow foreigners to join up... of course it can't be easy maintaining a million men under arms so you gotta get your people somewhere I guess.

I was making a reference to Rome granting citizenship to its legionaires after 20years service no matter where they came from. I truely wish governments around the world would reward their 20 year military vets better than they do at present....

...and no military service does not make you any more worthy than another citizen of your country... but there is certainly an element of pride and old fashioned warriors nobility that goes with sacrificing so much for so long for a patriotic ideal.

Well thats not good.

Yes I realise that countries like the US do have non-citizens in their military and they utilise this as a means to gaining citizenship. What is is problematic though for these militaries is then having these non-citizens accessing some of the higher security clearance type roles.... which is why many of the smaller first world militaries avoid this like the plague. Even the US military is highly sensitive to foreign eyes being privy to their secrets so I am truely amazed that they still allow foreigners to join up... of course it can't be easy maintaining a million men under arms so you gotta get your people somewhere I guess.

Well considering the vast majority of non-citizens who the join the military are Hispanic, and aren't exactly from the ranks of our enemies, I think that them being a security threat is not much of an extreme issue. Besides, how much security clearance is a low ranked soldier going to have? As far as I know, we don't have any colonels without American citizenship running around.

Between the fact the Commander-in-Chief has to be born here and the fact he'd be roasted politically if any foreigners were appointed to high level positions, I don't think letting common soldiers be foreigners is going to compromise our security any time soon. :p

This reminds me of the late comedian Spike Milligan who enlisted as a gunner and fought for Britain in North Africa, and was then told he was not a british citizen because he was born in India and his father was born in what later became the Republic of Ireland.

The Australian government gave him a free passport.

Top Bottom