Brave New World's 9 new Civs

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the issue of peoples-as-civilisations (like Bantu), let's remember the "Celts" precedent. There has never been anything close to being a country called "Celtica": no political or governmental cohesion whatsoever. Yet it is in there as a "civilisation". So Bantu etc are possibilities. And that probably has positive implications for the possibility of a northern-Italian Renaissance civ, too.

The background picture on the main website looks like the wonder screen from the great statue The motherland calls in Russia

Good catch, so we pretty much know what one of the wonders is then... well, plus the ones they directly mentioned.

Andrewlt: Surely, Italy belongs to that very group you listed for the modern era? It would fit like a glove.

That is very true. And changing Italy to a civ would free up a ton of city state names to cities without civ representation. All those cities on the Silk Road and other old central Asian trading routes would be good names for new city states.

Norway.
Poland.
Croatia.
Czech Republic.
Slovakia.
Hungary.

These will all be confirmed.

Motherland Calls seems like it would either give a big boost to (i) defending in home territory (ii) give the effects of a citadel to the city that builds it (so anyone sieging you takes 30 damages per turn) or (iii) allow conscription, so your population would be reduced by 1 in exchange for a unit.

I also wonder how much damage you can actually do with the World Congress and by placing sanctions against the 'run-away civilization'. Like for example, I wonder if I can do more than just blocking luxury resources.

So I'm thinking:

Poland
Assyria
Italy
Portugal
Indonesia
Brazil
Bantu/Zulu/Kongo (at least one of them IMO)
?
?

Italy doesn't sound plausible to me. There are too many CS in Italy. Plus Rome is already the capital of Roman Empire unless Florence is the new capital but that'll have to be the Papal States

Italy doesn't sound plausible to me. There are too many CS in Italy. Plus Rome is already the capital of Roman Empire unless Florence is the new capital but that'll have to be the Papal States

It's no worse than Byzantium and the Ottomans
And the concept is a lot like Greece.

If they'd excluded Greece as a civ, (God forbid), then the entire city list would qualify for city states...

It's no worse than Byzantium and the Ottomans
And the concept is a lot like Greece.

If they'd excluded Greece as a civ, (God forbid), then the entire city list would qualify for city states...

The issue is that Italy, unlike Greece, is a modern entity. To me it has always seemed that Rome has more than covered Italy, it's a bit redundant to include it. The Ottomans and Byzantine Empires were two entirely different entities, cultures and were both of huge importance historically for hundreds of years, Italy is a modern nation that has done very little. There is absolutely no need for a separate Italian Civilization with Rome in the game.

The issue is that Italy, unlike Greece, is a modern entity. To me it has always seemed that Rome has more than covered Italy, it's a bit redundant to include it. The Ottomans and Byzantine Empires were two entirely different entities, cultures and were both of huge importance historically for hundreds of years, Italy is a modern nation that has done very little. There is absolutely no need for a separate Italian Civilization with Rome in the game.

For the Scramble for Africa and a possible WW scenario, they'd play a big role. They could just rename Rome for those scenarios though.

Spoiler :

I urge you to compare Renaissance Italy with Classical Rome. The architecture alone is vastly different! Venice alone, if it weren't for lack of fame, would merit to be included as an empire.

And if Italy is modern. America is a future civ.... It's 15th vs 18th century!

I feel the African Scenario confirms at least 2 new African civs. Three (a third of the new civs) seems too much, and only one would leave the actual African continent pretty sparse. Granted it could just have scenario civs as it would almost definitely already be featuring two new in Portugal and Zulu.

Anyway, if you want to go with the most important Sub-Saharan Empire that also played a huge role in colonization it would be Kongo and Benin. I feel Kongo wins out in importance and fills an empty area of the map (with Benin being very close to Songhai's domain). Great Zimbabwe was an important empire as well, but less with colonization and it's land area would be close/overlap with the Zulu.

So, in my mind, I have little doubt for the inclusion of Kongo and Zulu.

With the confirmed and obvious (Poland, Assyria, and Portugal) that's five.

I've always felt another native North American civ was likely. It doesn't necessarily have to tie into the Civil War scenario. The Sioux are civ veterans, so that's who gets my vote.

That leaves three more that I'm not sure of. If I had to guess:

The Asian region needs representation and Majapahit was mentioned so many times on the forums, I wouldn't be surprised if they got it. Plus, they work with the trade theme.

The theme of the expansion seems to very much fit a more modern civ getting in. The most likely, and would help with geographic distribution, is Brazil.

The last civ is probably going to be a complete surprise dark horse candidate.

Oh, why do I have this teeny-tiny hope of mine that my teeny-tiny nation would ever appear in the utmost magnificent world of his excellency called 'Civ'? That's a fool's errand, obviously... At least precious Poland were given such recognition! Congrats Poland! :) „Polak, Węgier, dwa bratanki, i do szabli, i do szklanki.”

Renaissance Italy is very different from Rome and Italy as a cultural entity is older then some civs in game.
I'd say it's more similar to Germany, old culture but only unified as a nation in the 19th century.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom