New civ linked to new resource

Nujabes

Prince
The other clue we got about a new civ today seemed inadvertent, we learned that there is at least one new resource that can't be revealed because it's tied to a new civilization.

As someone already astutely observed, this might mean Sioux, since buffalo would make sense, we expect a new Native civ, and they've already appeared.

What else? Raffia for Kongo?

Coffee for Gran Colombia, cacao for the Ashanti, kangaroos for the Aboriginal... endless possibilities :p

Yeah, but the entire sioux society was based on buffalo hunting. There is no way of thinking about the sioux without thinking on buffalos aswell.

For me, this is even more clear than the "shadow=portugal" thing.

It could be any empire or culture that was famous as a source of a specific product. Like Glass from Venice. Or Diamonds from whatever place in Africa they commonly come from.

Coffee for Gran Colombia, cacao for the Ashanti, kangaroos for the Aboriginal... endless possibilities :p

..snails for Phoenicia (its the source of the dye they monopolized). To many to make any real guesses at this point.

I do like the Buffalo for the Sioux suggestion though.

It could be any empire or culture that was famous as a source of a specific product. Like Glass from Venice. Or Diamonds from whatever place in Africa they commonly come from.

Glass isn't exactly a natural resource though, and we have gems.

Lots of possibilities, but what's most likely? The Ashanti are more associated with gold and cloth (and, for that matter, slaves) than with cocoa, and Gran Colombia and the Aboriginals seem like long shots. For a unique resource to be associated with a civ, we can assume it played an incredibly central role in their society, so the possibilities aren't totally endless.

Glass isn't exactly a natural resource though, and we have gems.

They didn't say natural. Jewelry and Porcelain are luxury resources and they are not natural resources. And gems is a generic term while diamonds is specific. I could see there being both in the game.

I had suspected that the reason the Dutch tulips were from Polders were due to insurmountable problems with an improvement granting resources while Oil, Uranium etc may end up being later revealed as in the same spot. With that and the Recycling Centre in mind, I would suspect that for a resource to be tied to a civilization, it would have to be through a unique building producing it - if not for something even more out there like converting an improvement to convert a bonus resource to something manufactured. So I'd think it unlikely to be something along the lines of rubber or coffee, and more likely to be manufactured like Porcelain or Jewellery.

Raffia/Kongo has potential, but remembering the surprise that Glass wasn't one of the options when mercantile city-states were first introduced I would strongly suspect that it might be that, from what I've heard attached to either a Moroccan or Italian state. A UI that makes wool from sheep COULD be possible... but I can't see it forming an intrinsic part of a civilization's identity.

EDIT: Point stated by above poster

Whether Gran Colombia is a long shot or not, I don't think saying "Coffee is a new resource" would make everyone say, "Gran Colombia has to be in, then!" if he hadn't explicitly said that revealing the new resource would reveal the new leader. And anyway, coffee is grown in a lot of places besides Colombia, and originated in the Middle East. Whatever the new resource is, it has to be something so inextricably linked to a particular civilization that we couldn't imagine the one without the other, or he wouldn't have said that telling us the resource would give away the new civ.

Whatever the civ is, I hope I can use the World Congress to ban the trade of their special resource.

Whether Gran Colombia is a long shot or not, I don't think saying "Coffee is a new resource" would make everyone say, "Gran Colombia has to be in, then!" if he hadn't explicitly said that revealing the new resource would reveal the new leader. And anyway, coffee is grown in a lot of places besides Colombia, and originated in the Middle East. Whatever the new resource is, it has to be something so inextricably linked to a particular civilization that we couldn't imagine the one without the other, or he wouldn't have said that telling us the resource would give away the new civ.

This. It has to be a resource that is either confined to a relatively small geography and/or inextricably linked with a particular civilization even though it occurs elsewhere. I'm going with the previous spec that it's the Sioux with buffalo as a new strategic resource.

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be bison. If they revealed that EVERYONE would be like "The Sioux HAVE to be in!"

Coffee wouldn't do that for me either, I'd be like "Gran Columbia? Indonesia? Maybe?"

I had suspected that the reason the Dutch tulips were from Polders were due to insurmountable problems with an improvement granting resources while Oil, Uranium etc may end up being later revealed as in the same spot. With that and the Recycling Centre in mind, I would suspect that for a resource to be tied to a civilization, it would have to be through a unique building producing it - if not for something even more out there like converting an improvement to convert a bonus resource to something manufactured. So I'd think it unlikely to be something along the lines of rubber or coffee, and more likely to be manufactured like Porcelain or Jewellery.

Raffia/Kongo has potential, but remembering the surprise that Glass wasn't one of the options when mercantile city-states were first introduced I would strongly suspect that it might be that, from what I've heard attached to either a Moroccan or Italian state. A UI that makes wool from sheep COULD be possible... but I can't see it forming an intrinsic part of a civilization's identity.

This bears repeating.

The ones that popped into my head were

Native America - Buffalo
Cuba - Cigars
Inuit - Seals
Canada - Moose
Switzerland - Chocolate
Australia - Kangaroos

and I'm sure there's numerous othes that could work, iwthout getting into if any or all of thsoe deserve to be in the game, I could see the Canadian or Inuit ones being in to give more use to the ice fields (moreso Tundra for Moose), so I almost think that something along that rational may be the most likely.

The ones that popped into my head were

Native America - Buffalo
Cuba - Cigars
Inuit - Seals
Canada - Moose
Switzerland - Chocolate
Australia - Kangaroos

and I'm sure there's numerous othes that could work, iwthout getting into if any or all of thsoe deserve to be in the game, I could see the Canadian or Inuit ones being in to give more use to the ice fields (moreso Tundra for Moose), so I almost think that something along that rational may be the most likely.

Switzerland - Chocolate?
That wouldn't make sense at all, it would be far more fitting for Belgium to have chocolate and due to the whole Scramble for Africa scenario its most likely that this is the case.

Top Bottom