New civ linked to new resource

Just a speculation:

Lets say that it is Sioux with Bisons

UA could be: Each city with pop 5 or greater supplies one bison.

They can be traded away like any other luxury resource.

Who says they are only adding one resource? In G&K they added Truffles, Crab, Copper, Citrus and Salt plus Porcelain and Jewelry as CS only luxuries.

They could easily add Tea, Coffee, Rubber, Bison and Saltpeter in BNW.

In yesterday's Q & A, Dennis Shirk explicitly said that he couldn't tell us about the new resource because that would, by itself, give away one of the new civs. I don't recall if he said that was the only new resource or not, but even if there are a dozen new ones, what we're speculating on here is which one is so closely linked to a specific civ that he can't reveal it. Tea, coffee, rubber, and saltpeter could all be in for all we know, but none of them would give anything away as to civ choices. Bison would strongly imply the Sioux, and so could be the one he was talking about.

In yesterday's Q & A, Dennis Shirk explicitly said that he couldn't tell us about the new resource because that would, by itself, give away one of the new civs. I don't recall if he said that was the only new resource or not, but even if there are a dozen new ones, what we're speculating on here is which one is so closely linked to a specific civ that he can't reveal it. Tea, coffee, rubber, and saltpeter could all be in for all we know, but none of them would give anything away as to civ choices. Bison would strongly imply the Sioux, and so could be the one he was talking about.

He didn't say there was one resource, but he did say "they can't be revealed because it's tied to one civ". There may, in fact, be more than one new resource tied to the civ - however it seems more likely it's one resource that can be considered a plural (e.g. slaves, but not coffee or rubber which one would refer to as "it").

Since the question being responded to was whether there were any new resources, and Dennis declined to answer because doing so would be a giveaway, it seems unlikely that there are any new 'standard' luxury, strategic or bonus resources.

Although saltpeter would suggest Bolivia...

I kind of wonder if he maybe overstated his case. I suspect the only reason a resource would inevitably be tied to a single civ in our minds is because he said it would give away the civ.

If they added Buffalo to the game and someone said that means the Sioux are in, I would tell them they're crazy. It certainly means that the Sioux could be in, but it's not unusual to just have a resource even if it's continent specific, without including the Civ most famous for using it (although the Blackfeet among others also relied on Buffalo). If it were a manufactured luxury, like glass, I would just think they expanded the number of potential luxuries for Mercantile City-States.

It's only because we know the resource is associated with a civ that he can't give away the resource. I'm seriously at a loss to think of anything that would otherwise be inevitably be associated with them. Unless it had the civ in the name (e.g., Navajo Blankets, Venetian Glass, etc.).

Komodo dragons as a resource? That doesn't even begin to make sense. I'm not going to "bank on" that at all.

It's getting to where I can't tell the joke suggestions from the sincere-but-outlandish suggestions. :crazyeye:

I would rather have komodo dragons as a UU :lol:

Of course, I also want the mokele mbembe as the kongo UU, so :crazyeye:

The obvious 3 are

Seals - Inuit
Kangaroo - Australia/Aboriginal
Bison - Sioux

Each is pretty much exclusive to them in a way things like Rubber, Coffee, Glass & Chocolate aren't.

Tulips in G&K was the same - it's pretty much a Netherlands only resource in real life.

Slaves -Kongo is a possibility but Civ tends to shy away from the more umpalatable aspects of history where possible.

I'd be leaning toward Bison then Kangaroo then Seal in order of likelyhood. I'd be saying 40% Sioux, 20% Kangas, 10% Seal and 30% chance some other resource which we are mising but that would be blindingly obvious to us once revealed.

I dislike the idea of (for example) "Venetian glass", I mean glass is manufactured everywhere, having the name of a civ in front of anything (same goes for example "Norwegian ski infantry" is tacky.

Sioux - Bison

Has been discussed a lot. I would imagine that you start the game normally, when you build an improvement (Tipi ?) each turn you have a "chance" to "discover" a source of bison. Say it gives +1 production on a tile, okay that isn't much on its own but imagine have 5 of them feeding a city ? Starts to add up after a while.

Merina Kingdom (Madagascar) - Lemur (Or similar)

Not mentioned yet (oddly), a resource that would likely give a tourism or happiness (if luxury) boost. Not sure on how it would be implemented, it's not something (like bison) where you could theoretically breed them in new locations. Maybe something like all cities settled near jungle gain access to a special Lemur resource or similar. Also (the civ) offers the possibility of a female leader and a civ that could fit into the African scenario.

Australia - Koala/Kangaroo

Follow the logic from above, with the tourism or happiness boost. I'd much prefer the Merina kingdom however...

Most other resources could imply at minimum a small number of potential civs (Or are included already under a broader term eg Nutmeg - Indonesia). It probably cannot be a strategic resource (Obsidian is the only one I can think of that could possibly fit such a category, but Aztecs, Maya both in game already).

Who says they are only adding one resource? In G&K they added Truffles, Crab, Copper, Citrus and Salt plus Porcelain and Jewelry as CS only luxuries.

They could easily add Tea, Coffee, Rubber, Bison and Saltpeter in BNW.

I don't think any new strategic resources will be added because those icons up top are lacking. Rubber may come back in late game though. Any new resources will probably be luxury with the same +4 happiness perk.

Slaves -Kongo is a possibility but Civ tends to shy away from the more umpalatable aspects of history where possible.

Slaves as a resource wouldn't suggest any particular civ to me. Slavery has been practiced, to one degree or another, by a vast array of cultures all over the globe. Even within Africa, slaves were taken from a number of places. The Transatlantic Slave Trade took slaves mostly from West Africa, around the Senegal/Gambia area.

Their adding slaves as a resource would make me say, "That's going to be a controversial choice. I wonder how it's going to work exactly." It would not make me say, "A-ha! Kongo is in!"

Top Bottom