New civ linked to new resource

If Dennis had mentioned Venetian Glass, don't you think we would have guessed on Venice? Buffalo can be most NA tribes......

But it has to be specifically Venetian Glass, where no other resource currently in-game has such a description, and Buffalo was a lot more central to the life of the Sioux than Venetian Glass was to the Venetians. I don't think Venice will get in, and even if they did, a UA based on Venetian Glass would be...strange to say the least, given all the other things Venice was notable for, while representing the Sioux without some nod to their reliance on the Buffalo is almost unthinkable.

Buffalo/Bison is a good guess. If that were in the game, all guesses would go straight to a NA Civ. And from a gameplay perspective it makes sense, too. Calendar/mining resources are overwhelming. Trapping only has ivory, deer, and truffles (GK). At least I'd assume it would be under trapping.

Trapping also has furs.

But it has to be specifically Venetian Glass, where no other resource currently in-game has such a description, and Buffalo was a lot more central to the life of the Sioux than Venetian Glass was to the Venetians. I don't think Venice will get in, and even if they did, a UA based on Venetian Glass would be...strange to say the least, given all the other things Venice was notable for, while representing the Sioux without some nod to their reliance on the Buffalo is almost unthinkable.

If they wanted to represent Venetian glass, simply giving it to the city-state would work. That might hint at a change to some CSes, but wouldn't be a giveaway regarding a civ.

A unique resource with the new trading mechanic would also mean that your trade routes would always produce more gold as a byproduct, which does kinda fit Venice as a trade civ.

If it's a ressource not produced by the city itself, preferable by a building, but a ressource on the map, you will end up With all kinds of dilemmas. Alot of scenarios will make the ressource not so unique to that civ anymore.

First and formost it would have to spawn at Your start location, and there only. Secondly you would have to settle there, and only there to secure that ressource. What if you settle elsewhere and somebody else snap it, or Your culture grows to slowely to get it, or it's taken by a culture bomb? What if Your city is taken in war? Should the buffaloes then just disapear from map?

It was a ressource only one spesifiq nation could produce/get, wasnt it?

If they wanted to represent Venetian glass, simply giving it to the city-state would work. That might hint at a change to some CSes, but wouldn't be a giveaway regarding a civ.

The reason for the idea of Venetian Glass wouldn't be because they thought; damn thats something this game needs. No, that's an idea that came up after they decided on Venice as a Civ of course. They thought, wow, that would be a very unique ability.

If it's a ressource not produced by the city itself, preferable by a building, but a ressource on the map, you will end up With all kinds of dilemmas. Alot of scenarios will make the ressource not so unique to that civ anymore.

First and formost it would have to spawn at Your start location, and there only. Secondly you would have to settle there, and only there to secure that ressource. What if you settle elsewhere and somebody else snap it, or Your culture grows to slowely to get it, or it's taken by a culture bomb? What if Your city is taken in war? Should the buffaloes then just disapear from map?

It was a ressource only one spesifiq nation could produce/get, wasnt it?

One could simply apply the rules of Mercentile CS for the resource

Only the Mercentile CS can possess the resource, upon capture the resource vanishes completely (until liberated)

A unique resource with the new trading mechanic would also mean that your trade routes would always produce more gold as a byproduct, which does kinda fit Venice as a trade civ.
Good point indeed.

One of the reasons I find Bison so underwhelming is because it would have to be a bonus resource. As a unique bonus resource, what would it do? A little extra food, faith, or production? That's not terribly impressive. You could do that with a UB or UI.

A unique resource should be one that's tradeable. A luxury.

I would guess either Kongo or a dark horse Inuit. The sealing industry and whaling industry were huge once upon a time and the Inuit/Aleuts/etc. played a massive role in the industry unlike anyone else did. Alaska's purchase value for was repaid several times over each year simply from the sealing industry of the Aleuts/Inuits. In World War 2 Inuits/Aleuts were thrown into concentration camps so that the US could continue the seal industry despite the war

I still sincerely doubt we get the Sioux, the Pueblo incident basically confirmed what we suspected, the Sioux are very easy to replace this iteration of Civ

One could simply apply the rules of Mercentile CS for the resource

Only the Mercentile CS can possess the resource, upon capture the resource vanishes completely (until liberated)

Yep, but would be abit more boring compared to having to build a building for it and by that making more strategies arround it possible wouldn't it? Just being garanteed one new ressource of that kind per city without having to do anything? Or getting 7 of it for free in Capital after a certain tech? Would be a less interesting design indeed.

The reason for the idea of Venetian Glass wouldn't be because they thought; damn thats something this game needs. No, that's an idea that came up after they decided on Venice as a Civ of course. They thought, wow, that would be a very unique ability.

That's not my point. I'm not talking about the design process, but about the suggestion that the reveal of the new resource would identify the civ to the public. If they were to say "Glass is a resource", that wouldn't instantly lead to the conclusion "Venice is a civ" here. It could equally mean "Venice has been moved to Mercantile" (there are already more Maritime than other CS types), even if we assume glass is necessarily associated with Venice in some capacity.

Lets think about it, what one civ would need a resource? The Inuit if they have a snow/tundra bias. They have been a fan favorite for years and literally every time someone suggests the Inuit, sealing is somehow incorporated into the civ (And normally as a resource). Many people suspect that Polynesia was a pretty much direct copy from a suggested version of Polynesia in Civfanatics, this clue and the Pueblo's potential removal, makes me think they could be the ultimate darkhorse from the Americas

That's not my point. I'm not talking about the design process, but about the suggestion that the reveal of the new resource would identify the civ to the public. If they were to say "Glass is a resource", that wouldn't instantly lead to the conclusion "Venice is a civ" here. It could equally mean "Venice has been moved to Mercantile" (there are already more Maritime than other CS types), even if we assume glass is necessarily associated with Venice in some capacity.

Well, he said that telling the name of the new ressource would also reveal the new civ, because this was a ressource only this civ had.

Frankly the 3 most likely civs in my opinion from the clue are:

1. Inuit
2. Venice
3. Kongo

Inuit and Venice were both darkhorses and it would be a surprise to see them in.

Martians.
Nuff' said.

After milling it over, there would have to be some sort of unique export that can be a result of a common resource to everyone, but a unique export to that civilization. This alleviates spawning issues without too much complications.

So, I would say we might be getting new resources with BNW, which they have avoided discussion on. Coupled with that information, and the unwillingness to reveal a civ tied resource, would have to be something super obvious.

The question then is what resource(s) would we get, and what civ is so intertwined with a resource, it would be a dead giveaway?

Rubber seems plausible, but not unique. A snow based one, which would have to be strategic enough to add. Another metal? Something domesticated?

Seals could be either strategic or a luxury resource

Countries went to war over them, the US threw Inuits into concentration camps over them, and the oil is still worth a ton today

I disagree. If someone told me glass would be a resource, it would immediately make me think of Venice, and only Venice. There is no other city famous for its glass products. If you said cheese steak sandwiches were the resource, I would think of Philadelphia just as strongly.

Top Bottom