The Lanna kingdom (BNW)

lordrj15

Manx Modder
Presenting my first civilisation, Lanna!

Lanna was a kingdom that existed in northern Thailand from the 13th-18th centuries centred around the city of Chiang Mai.

At times it was a major rival to Siam and Burma and a significant state in spreading Buddhism to southeast asia.

In recent times it has been more widely recognized as an important part of Thai history and it's cultural legacy is commonly celebrated in the north, especially in Chiang Mai, now a major tourism/cultural centre.

Leader-Mengrai

UA-Land of a million rice fields, +1 food on every plantation, +1 food on plantations with access to fresh water

UB-Chedi, Temple replacement, gives +1 faith on worked plantation resources, as well as a little culture.

UU-Siege elephant, Knight replacement, no penalties when attacking cities and gains defensive terrain bonuses. Comes with Cover I, but has reduced movement.

More pictures and information can be found here

The steam workshop page can be found here

Special thanks to Calcul8or, davey_henninger and Viregel for helping me with my first mod!

Next:

-The Olmecs
-Andorra
-Bhutan
-The Commonwealth of England
-Royalist England

I think the UA is not powerful enough...

I think the UA is not powerful enough...

Try and test it then.

Don't underestimate early game food resources, +4 food in your capital can rapidly increase growth, and you should use that to your advantage.

A strong early game means a strong late game.

Try and test it then.

Don't underestimate early game food resources, +4 food in your capital can rapidly increase growth, and you should use that to your advantage.

A strong early game means a strong late game.

I know that... but im dependent on fresh water sources...

Ignore Natan's complaints, RJ. It's a policy that will serve you well. The Lanna UA is very powerful, especially if you get a start with a lot of Wine. If you're lucky enough to get a religion, then you can get Monasteries and the tiles become even better. A Lanna Wine tile on plains next to a river is something like 4 food, 1 hammer, 3 gold, 1 culture, and 1 faith. I'd say that's pretty bloody good. =]

Ignore Natan's complaints, RJ. It's a policy that will serve you well. The Lanna UA is very powerful, especially if you get a start with a lot of Wine. If you're lucky enough to get a religion, then you can get Monasteries and the tiles become even better. A Lanna Wine tile on plains next to a river is something like 4 food, 1 hammer, 3 gold, 1 culture, and 1 faith. I'd say that's pretty bloody good. =]

I found this policy as disgraceful... :p

There should be a direct download on the steam page

The direct link on the Steam page isn't there anymore. They seem to be taking down mediafire links lately. Is there an updated one?

Awesome, thanks!

You might want to slow down there, Lanna really doesn't like certain resources like spices, and the tile yields get really messed up, this annoyingly came from an attempt to fix a somewhat less serious glitch involving spices :crazyeye:

I'm probably going to attempt to fix it today.

And put up civ fanatics downloads for my mods, steam seems to have fallen out wih mediafire

I tested this mod a few weeks back and I thought I'd let you know my impressions. I was playing on Prince difficulty, if that makes any difference to you.

I really like the UA; unfortunately, I can't say too much about it since I was struggling with unhappiness during parts of the late classical and early medieval age (some bad decisions on my part), so I can't really judge how much the food bonus helps.

For the UU and UB, interestingly I found myself comparing both of them to Songhai's uniques. I wonder if the similarity was intentional or just a curious coincidence?

The Siege Elephant is basically a Mandekalu Cavalry but trades one point of movement for the Cover promotion. For me, that is a good trade-off. I prefer my units to have some staying power, expecially when I'm going for cities, and the Siege Elephant delivered on that. Not the best UU out there, but solid, and not every UU can (or should) be on the level of Keshiks and Impi, after all.

The Chedi is like a Mud Pyramid Mosque with the potential of increased faith generation. I found it to be quite useful, but the price of 3 gold is very steep. Considering the MPM has no maintenance, I don't think that extra faith warrants that much of a maintenance increase; the regular 2 gold for temples would probably be fine. I do like that it works with the UA, though.

Overall, I had lots of fun playing this civ. Great work!

Top Bottom