What is your opening after tradition nerf?

Chibi88

Chieftain
Hello guys,

before the nerf I always started like

2 Scout
Pantheon
Worker / Settler
Granary

because of the nerf I can't go for dual scout anymore because I suffer too much culture and time.

I normally play MP so I need a pantheon asap. What do you recommend me? I guess I need a momument now. Skip the Scout and go straight for a Monument and a Pantheon?

I haven't changed since I l aways build a monument in my capital after the first scout. Sometimes I build the monument first, if I'm playing a watery map for instance.
I wouldn't call it a nerf as you are now picking oligarchy a lot earlier and in MP, where I assume war is a foregone conclusion oligarchy will pay for itself as the eras pass.

My build order hasn't really changed too much. I typically go monument/scout/granary/2 settler. I couldn't help you with religion because most of the best beliefs and enhancers are gobbled up by the AI pretty early on Emperor. Most people build scouts first, but I try to build the monument initially because the sooner it's up the more culture you get in total. The map will still be there, and my first settler won't be ready until around turn 32, more than enough time to explore the immediate area with a scout that's finished around turn 12-14. Granary gets built before settlers however because the extra two food adds to production, plus the earlier it's up the more you get in total that game.

Absolutely no change - I went Scout -> Monument -> Scout/Archer/Warrior/Shrine (depending on the situation) prior to the patch, and I do the same build now. For me, getting the culture from the Monument early was more valuable than saving maintenance on it (and the free Amphitheater's pretty nice!)

after seeing Trad/Lib combo in action for the first time in my newest game, I have to admit it's not bad to go Scout -> Monument -> Scout -> Archer/Worker -> Granary -> Library and in the meantime I open Trad then hit Lib until I get a free Settler, then kick out 2-3 more, depending on the map. With Tradition nerfed, there's no need real need to rush free Monuments, you can hard build them and then go for Libraries and Granaries, depending on location, you might opt for Library to Granary and get the NC up sooner. If you get Oracle in the meantime, even better. Then pick up your free Amphis

Just make your first building in the capital a Monument. Hand building was strictly optional pre Halloween patch (and sometimes if a cultural ruin was popped at just the wrong turn sub-optimal), it's now mandatory for best results. No other changes needed to the standard full tradition first strategy.

Nothing at all. Scout-Monument-Worker-Either a settler or a wonder, depending on if I'd gotten the free settler.

Then again, I almost never play full Tradition. I know it's the best and in fact somewhat overpowered, but it's just so boring to me. I prefer Liberty. So I almost always just take the Tradition opener and then fill out Liberty.

before the nerf I always started like 2 Scout, Pantheon... Skip the Scout and go straight for a Monument and a Pantheon?

OP means shrine in both those places I am pretty sure. Apparently, that only confused me...

Just make your first building in the capital a Monument. Hand building was strictly optional pre Halloween patch (and sometimes if a cultural ruin was popped at just the wrong turn sub-optimal), it's now mandatory for best results. No other changes needed to the standard full tradition first strategy.

This sums it up! Pre patch, I had been in the habit of scout, scout, monument -- and I still do that. Anything other than archipelago, I get plenty of payback from that second scout.

I couldn't help you with religion because most of the best beliefs and enhancers are gobbled up by the AI pretty early on Emperor.

You might want to experiment more. At Emperor I am able to found almost every game (only not founding when several AI have high religious flavors) and able to pick up one of the buildings, so early faith becomes a core part of how I play.

You might want to experiment more. At Emperor I am able to found almost every game (only not founding when several AI have high religious flavors) and able to pick up one of the buildings, so early faith becomes a core part of how I play.

My problem is that the game always places a religiously flavored Civ (typically Ethiopia and/or Byzantium) in all my current matches. I guess it's just an experience thing.

I always gone for: Scout > Monument > Worker/Shrine
I have to get shine a lot because in EVERY game I play, I'll get Songhi or Abria who just loves to spam Islam... sometimes Rome makes Cathlic go to heck. Within just 100 turns I only start getting my first Great Profit with only one religion slot left.

For me I often like to get some gold/happiness making religions to help late game in wars were you just get defeated by GPT or :c5angry:.

Overall, I use the same tactic as everyone else; just with the worker before the Wonder.

Top Bottom