Main Download Information

There seems to be something about number of cities maintenance that's off.

I've taken 8 cities on the New World continent, which I've set free as a colony. However it seems I am still paying the "Number of Cities" maintenance number as if I still owned those cities. With the new settings to replace inflation, that number is totally crazy.

Are colonies counted in the number of cities maintenance cost? I'm paying 50+ per city just on number of city maintenance ever since I conquered north america and freed them as colonies. Save game attached if you'd like to look. I don't even have that many cities under my control, and maintenance seems obscene.

If this is intended by design, how do we counteract it? This was never an issue before inflation was removed...

The Master civilization of a vassal pays 50% of their maintenance costs.

With the increased number of cities maintenance cost, that makes a conquest victory more or less impossible unless we raze every city in sight :(

I don't really like the massive costs attached to vassals much either, given vassalizing the AI and starting colonies are one of my favorite things to do in CivIV - playing with "Conquest by Culture" being another - and at this point it seems only worthwhile to take one that's very small (And at that point you might as well just finish them off instead) or take ONE vassal and kill everyone else. It doesn't seem practical to take any more than that unless you're making thousands of gold per turn, and if you are it's generally safe to say you've already got the game won (Though Mastery Victory can throw unexpected results into that)

If reducing the costs on Vassals isn't an option (Wouldn't they be paying you though? :lol: ) what about a civic option that decreases Vassal "Maintenance"?

I've made further progress into my game (Immortal difficulty), and my vassal colony now has cities all the way to the Rocky Mountains in north america. But I only own the 10 cities in Europe and North Africa, and my maintenance costs are now 80+ per city.

I can usually deal with whatever situation I run into with some creative thinking, but this is just a hopeless situation. Why penalize the player so severely for having a successful colony?

And now the weaker civs are lining up begging to become my vassals, and I have to turn them down or risk bankrupting my civ. Which is a shame since colonies and vassals are so much fun. Something doesn't seem right here...

So after you brought it up, I went back and checked, and I think there was something wrong with how it was calculating the vassal maintenance for the master civilization. I redid that part a bit, and the new code is in Rev 824. You should be able to keep going in your existing game with the change, although you will need to probably force a recalculation (shift-t) after you update and are in the game.

Edit: to be more clear, the change in Rev824 should cause maintenance costs to be lower than previously. In most cases.

Talk about rapid iterations, that's impressive :)

Rapid iteration is better than slow big updates. You get feedback fast and can fix bugs faster.

The only time slower iterations might be worthwhile is in development of systems where bugs would mean harm/death to people (think autopilot systems).

I didn't really pay it much mind at first but....

Using the new SVN download it includes a bunch of additional folders and the A New Dawn mod folder is buried under another folder. Fine, when updating my revision I can just go down and grab those and ignore the other directories. Well, I only just now noticed that the other folders were taking up... A lot of space. So I deleted them and left the AND mod folder itself, but because the other folders are gone, it broke the structure and now won't update.

Is there some way I can tell it to just download the Mod folder itself and not the other misc files not needed to actually play AND?
I saw I could go in and select the specific A New Dawn folder, but will I have to select every individual file and folder underneath that as well? Or do I need to have all those other folders (Trunk, Branches, etc) and files as well?

Yes, just use the installer i've made:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=524091

It doesn't use SVN so you just have to download, install and wait for the first update to be finished.
Be careful if you change the default install directory. The mod folder need to be exactly named "Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn". This is a known issue that i have fixed but the new installer isn't published yet (note that you absolutely don't need to wait for it).
The launcher will inform you when an update is available and is really simple to use !

Please report bugs or feedback in the thread :)

@team: I highly suggest to unstick these two threads, because they are obsolete:
- UI Color Schemes
- A New Dawn Beta Builds

I also think "Main download information" text should be removed and replaced with a link to this page http://anewdawn.sourceforge.net/pages/install/. This thread contains obsolete advices (old python errors), three links to download the mod whereas we now have one EASY way to install and download the mod. That should be cleaned. Moreover, the full installer build is updated oftenly.

I've noticed that there are still some players that download 2.0beta2. On sourceforge, the last 7 days, there were around 25 downloads of old versions (1.75, 2.0beta2, 1.73) meaning the information is misleading some players. Hopefully, around 160 downloads were the latest version.

The website should also be notified on one of the sticky threads because it contains all of what a player should know about the mod.

@team: I highly suggest to unstick these two threads, because they are obsolete:
- UI Color Schemes
- A New Dawn Beta Builds

I also think "Main download information" text should be removed and replaced with a link to this page http://anewdawn.sourceforge.net/pages/install/. This thread contains obsolete advices (old python errors), three links to download the mod whereas we now have one EASY way to install and download the mod. That should be cleaned. Moreover, the full installer build is updated oftenly.

I've noticed that there are still some players that download 2.0beta2. On sourceforge, the last 7 days, there were around 25 downloads of old versions (1.75, 2.0beta2, 1.73) meaning the information is misleading some players. Hopefully, around 160 downloads were the latest version.

The website should also be notified on one of the sticky threads because it contains all of what a player should know about the mod.

At least the SVN Method is still listed there as an option :)
I prefer that over the Installer, but I know some folks who hate SVN so having both instead of just one or the other is a good thing~

As for the old downloaded versions... THat could also be possibly just because they want an older version for whatever reason. I re-downloaded 1.75 a while ago myself. I haven't actually unzipped it, but I did. Mostly just to keep it in case something happens to it (Some people like erasing all "obsolete" things from existence v__v )

(Some people like erasing all "obsolete" things from existence v__v )
Hey ! I just want players to get the latest version. The server still contains all the old versions.
When you are downloading a new software, if you see "Version 1.5" and "Version 2.0beta", most of us are downloading "version 1.5" as it sounds "stable". Here, the "stable" version is less maintained and stable. Note that there are also still many downloads of the old "2.0beta2" of AND. I don't even know where this download is pointed out.

Hey ! I just want players to get the latest version. The server still contains all the old versions.
When you are downloading a new software, if you see "Version 1.5" and "Version 2.0beta", most of us are downloading "version 1.5" as it sounds "stable". Here, the "stable" version is less maintained and stable. Note that there are also still many downloads of the old "2.0beta2" of AND. I don't even know where this download is pointed out.

I realize that the newer versions are much more stable and have far far FAR less bugs (Sans for a few, like Signs and etc), and have better features like Graphics Paging and so much more - I'm just saying that I disapprove of fully getting rid of older versions of things. Making it clearer that they're not supported anymore and are not recommended is one thing, nuking them off the internet so no one can see them again is another. They are still available there tho? It's just the Main Download Thread(s) that are being changed?

Pointing them towards the SVN or your Installer should be enough though right? Both of 'em grab the latest versions either way, but if they don't want to bother with either then I guess the Main Installer is the only other option - and in that case... Well yeah. Might as well make it clear the versions aren't supported anymore.

*edit again* As for the people still downloading the old versions... Maybe they're just curious? I still play older games like HoMM1 even though 2/3/4/5 are much better in literally every way, and still want an older version of C2C to play. Honestly, I don't care about all the new changes or even the bugfixes they have made - the mod is unplayable to me because of Lead From Behind making a total mess of combat. I'd GIVE a lot to have that obsolete unsupported version, because it was the last version that I could play past the Classic Era. The supported and up to date versions aren't. Well, yeah I do care about the bugfixes and stuff - but they're not much use for me when I can't even enjoy the mod itself so...

Just saying, not everyone who downloads those older versions are doing so because they think it's the latest and most stable version. Some probably are, but not all of them.

I understand your point of view, so to concile both of us, the better might be to point to the website installation page AND that i add a link in the website named "I want to download an older version" which point to the repository.

I understand your point of view, so to concile both of us, the better might be to point to the website installation page AND that i add a link in the website named "I want to download an older version" which point to the repository.

I'd say "Unsupported" rather than older, but that works :p

Unsupported, archaic, depreciated... Take your pick ^^
Point is, they should know that by downloading the waaaaaaaaaay old versions, they're doing so out of curiosity or for their own personal reasons - but that they're not getting the stable and updated version from those files.

"I want to download an unsupported older version" :)

I'll add such a link during this week, with remarks that have been made about the website here and there. By dint of adding tasks to my task list, i can't see the end of it :D

"I want to download an unsupported older version" :)

I'll add such a link during this week, with remarks that have been made about the website here and there. By dint of adding tasks to my task list, i can't see the end of it :D

Prioritize the ones that you feel are most important? :king:

Top Bottom