Tomatekh's New Civilizations

Also, the edits made to the CityView.lua and CivilopediaScreen.lua files are for purely aesthetic reasons. For the time being, if you simply delete these two files from the mod folders the civs should be fully compatible. You'll just see the dummy buildings in your city and civlopedia.

Also, with CivUp/GEM I believe that there is an SQL file that adds <IsVisible> Column via SQL. That means at least one of the .sql files will fail. If Thal's fails then there are potential disasters. If Tomatekh's fails that means that the XML of the stuff he adds will fail, since it tries to update a column that doesn't exist.

There is a multi-step process to making the civs compatible with CivUp/GEM.

1) Delete CityView.lua and CivilopediaScreen.lua

2) Delete the .sql file that adds new columns. This is necessary because CivUP also adds the IsVisible column, IIRC.

3) Remove (delete or comment out) all references to <PediaVisible> in the XML files. There should only be one in each civ (or possibly zero).

Then you should be able to play with Toma's civs in the game, and because CivUP adds the IsVisible column, they will (probably) not show up in the CityView and (possibly) not in the Civilopedia screen. I need to double check some of this stuff because I'm not sure if Thal adds "IsVisible" or a similar column named slightly differently. In any case, to be doubly certain it will work, you should remove all references to <IsVisible> in the XML files. Again, there should only be one in each civ (or possibly zero).

@Tomatekh, maybe you can make it so that the .sql file loads last, and instead of adding <IsVisible> and <PediaVisible> in the XML files, you can do
Code:
UPDATE Buildings SET IsVisible = 1, PediaVisible = 1 WHERE Type = 'BUILDING_DUMMYNAME'
for each building. This way, a user can a) delete .lua files and b) delete .sql file and not have to worry about deleting tag references in the XML.

Also, with CivUp/GEM I believe that there is an SQL file that adds <IsVisible> Column via SQL. That means at least one of the .sql files will fail. If Thal's fails then there are potential disasters. If Tomatekh's fails that means that the XML of the stuff he adds will fail, since it tries to update a column that doesn't exist.

There is a multi-step process to making the civs compatible with CivUp/GEM.

1) Delete CityView.lua and CivilopediaScreen.lua

2) Delete the .sql file that adds new columns. This is necessary because CivUP also adds the IsVisible column, IIRC.

3) Remove (delete or comment out) all references to <PediaVisible> in the XML files. There should only be one in each civ (or possibly zero).

Then you should be able to play with Toma's civs in the game, and because CivUP adds the IsVisible column, they will (probably) not show up in the CityView and (possibly) not in the Civilopedia screen. I need to double check some of this stuff because I'm not sure if Thal adds "IsVisible" or a similar column named slightly differently. In any case, to be doubly certain it will work, you should remove all references to <IsVisible> in the XML files. Again, there should only be one in each civ (or possibly zero).

@Tomatekh, maybe you can make it so that the .sql file loads last, and instead of adding <IsVisible> and <PediaVisible> in the XML files, you can do
Code:
UPDATE Buildings SET IsVisible = 1, PediaVisible = 1 WHERE Type = 'BUILDING_DUMMYNAME'
for each building. This way, a user can a) delete .lua files and b) delete .sql file and not have to worry about deleting tag references in the XML.

Whoops, yeah, forgot about the SQL changes. That's a good suggestion to remove the XML edits and put it all in SQL. Then I'll just lump the three files in the same folder so they all can easily be deleted at the same time. I'll change when I find time to update everything.

Just checked and CivUP (and therefore GEM) uses two columns called IsVisible and ShowInPedia.

I suppose that this would mean that the new civilizations would be (more or less) directly compatible if these tags were used in stead and the civ mods runs after CivUP. This can be easily done using a reference in the modinfo file.

Oh - and the tags in CivUP are booleans too but CivUP seems to us 0/1 for values

\Skodkim

Update

Solving the technical part if actually not that hard (just did Sumeria and basd on a small test it works fine):

1) Place "_" before file names for CityView.lua and CivilopediaScreen.lua

2) Place "_" before file name for .sql file that adds the new columns.

3) Rename PediaVisible to ShowInPedia and set all references to 0 for PediaVisible and IsVisible in the XML files. Note "ShowInPedia" doesn't do anything in GEM right now - may be fixed in later versions but it's only cosmetical

4) Make the civ mod run after GEM/CivUP using a reference tag in the modinfo file.

Steps 3-4 could easily be included in the mod for compatibility with GEM, while ad 1-2 would probably need a little user tweak. Possibly it could be done with little check to see if GEM/CivUP is loaded - e.g. check if a GEM added item like the era ERA_POSTMODERN is null. If it is loaded skip the rest of the lua files.

Another problem is of course "aligning" the mod to GEM standards like unit upkeep, tech unlocks for buildings, units, ... I think I just made it through Summeria for "my own private build".

Looking forward to playing with it. Thanks for the feedback :goodjob:

\Skodkim

I posted this in the unit request thread, but I'm also going to re-post it here in case anyone who specifically uses my civs can help out.

Can anyone convert (is it possible to convert?) the siege tower unit graphic from Civ IV (showed up with the city attack promotion when you attacked a city, I think) into Civ V for me? It would greatly help with an upcoming civ of mine.

There's no rush, it's in preparation for a civ I want to do in the future but not the one I'm working on or even the one planned after that. However, the civ's abilities are going to be rather involved and require quite a bit of art assets so I'm trying to set things up in advance.

Looking forward to Tomatekh's mysterious new civ.

Hi Tomatekh

Any chance for a non-steam download for the Hittites?

\Skodkim

In the near future but not at the moment. The reason being is that they aren't really finished at the moment. I technically had a working version of them done way back when right after I finished Sumer and it is just recently that I posted a working version on Steam. However, I've been constantly changing their UA all this time. Even at the moment it's not where I want. Of the current version of the UA, the intent was to meet all City States, which I had, but caused serious problems with first contact gold/faith all at once, so I had to scrap it for balance reasons. I don't really like contact with all major civs.

Ok. I just grabbed it from steam anyway. Even though you're not fully satisfied I'd still like to congratulate you on a good job on thr civilizations!

I've now made Goths, Sumer and Hittites compatible with GEM for my own use.

\Skodkim

Just added Mali. They were a civ I frequently got requests to make and also to help out the Zambezi mod.

Civfanatics Link
Steam Workshop Link

Details:

Leader: Mansa Musa

UA:
Royal Hajj: +2 Gold per Holy Site and Holy Cities generate +20% Gold. Land military units gain +10% Combat Strength if they visit a friendly foreign Holy City.

UU: Sofa: Replaces Crossbowman. Starts with Medic I. May move after Attacking. +1 Defensive Combat Strength. (-2 Ranged Combat Strength).

UB: Treasury: Replaces Mint. +2 Gold. +2 Gold on Salt. May also be built near Salt.

They can use a better UB button, but that's what future updates are for.

I also made a new map for Moriboe for the Nri Kingdom:

I've now made Goths, Sumer and Hittites compatible with GEM for my own use.

\Skodkim
Any chance you could upload them? I absolutely enjoy playing as Goths or Sumer, but haven't been able to lately after grabbing Civup. Much appreciated :D

And a big thank you to Tomatekh for creating them of course!

Any chance you could upload them? I absolutely enjoy playing as Goths or Sumer, but haven't been able to lately after grabbing Civup. Much appreciated :D

And a big thank you to Tomatekh for creating them of course!

The Goths don't edit the specific files so should be fully compatible as is. I will be editing the file structure of my other mods in the near future to make them easier to convert to a compatible format.

Just added Mali. They were a civ I frequently got requests to make and also to help out the Zambezi mod.

Mali (Gods and Kings)
Spoiler :
Civfanatics Link
Steam Workshop Link

Details:

Leader: Mansa Musa

UA:
Royal Hajj: +2 Gold per Holy Site and Holy Cities generate +20% Gold. Land military units gain +10% Combat Strength if they visit a friendly foreign Holy City.

UU: Sofa: Replaces Crossbowman. Starts with Medic I. May move after Attacking. +1 Defensive Combat Strength. (-2 Ranged Combat Strength).

UB: Treasury: Replaces Mint. +2 Gold. +2 Gold on Salt. May also be built near Salt.

Spoiler :

They can use a better UB button, but that's what future updates are for.

I also made a new map for Moriboe for the Nri Kingdom:
Spoiler :

Looking forward to trying them out.

The Goths don't edit the specific files so should be fully compatible as is. I will be editing the file structure of my other mods in the near future to make them easier to convert to a compatible format.

Ist nor quite that simple as GEM aldo charges building yields, Unit strengths, etc and all of these have to be "aligned" so it reflects GEM changes.

I'll see if I Can upload Them. Dont know if it'll be a problem with file sizes though.

\skodkim

Looks great! Very cool and fitting UA too. One thing that's personal playstyle I guess, but I'm not using the combat bonus (have a game going with them) because I'm too lazy to move my units around much for it. Have you considered doing something for great persons visiting a holy city? Similar to the reliquary belief.

Looks great! Very cool and fitting UA too. One thing that's personal playstyle I guess, but I'm not using the combat bonus (have a game going with them) because I'm too lazy to move my units around much for it. Have you considered doing something for great persons visiting a holy city? Similar to the reliquary belief.

Actually, the original intent was to do a bonus with Great People visiting a Holy City but I couldn't think of what to do with them. I also figured with Great People (especially if it was a use up the unit sort of deal) I would need to do a pop-up notification/confirmation message system which I have no idea how to code (though I need to learn for another civ I have in mind anyway). The combat bonus was really sort of the default ability thrown in when I couldn't figure what else to do with the gimmick.

There's also the problem that the AI has no idea how to use that part of the ability. I was going to throw in a cheat for them were it randomly gave the promotion to some of their units every few turns (but I was too lazy to code it).

Ok, here's a combined file with the Goths, Sumer and Hittites designed for use with GEM. I'm using it as it is and have seen no bugs, but you never know... Its mostly tweaks to unit strenghts, building yields, flavors, etc.

I've updated text entries, but haven't really paid that much attention to them.

Beware that its a stripped down version, e.g. all files not needed by me (I made it for personal use) have been stripped from the mod. This includes non-english text entries, sql files,...

Also I take no credit whatsoever for this - It's all Tomateckh great work. If Tomateckh has a problem with the upload, I'll remove it straight away.

I have no experience with using uploads from e.g. Mediafire, so I hope the following link works: Link

\Skodkim

Top Bottom