AND2 and SVN Bug Reports - A New Dawn 2 ONLY

45°38'N-13°47'E;12021222 said:
I know what you mean :) Absolutely no problem and thank you for pointing out things to improve.
Thanks for believing I could possibly be of use. :hammer2:

The solution to this given in Tech Support forum is to delete the contents of the "CustomAssets" folder (for me it's in "My Documents\My Games\beyond the sword"). Yes that seemed a bit drastic so I created a copy of the folder first, but anyway the solution worked and I have not yet needed (thus will probably never need) the backup copy. Apparently this folder is repopulated if empty when you restart the game... or something.

Unfortunately it doesn't work, and the problem persists...I'm going to try a fresh install and see if that does it.

@Alexei18XC,

Do you have another version of AND in your BtS\Mods folder by chance? If so it will corrupt the graphics.

Also you could try a Play Now game instead of Custom as this will clear the Cache which also can corrupt graphics as the .ini is trying to use a set from the cache from a previous mod.

Holding down the Shift Key while the Mod is Loading will also Clear the Cache.

If none of these work then yes you have a bad install.

JosEPh :)

I'm having constant CTDs on a specific turn, however I can't find where the logs are. I have enabled auto logging in the BUG menu, but the file it is supposed to create doesn't exist.

Please when reporting a CTD or Bug give details. If it is reproducible CTD post save game With what Game Options you have set and what you were doing when it happens. Otherwise without details it's a guessing game. And we can not fix anything if we have to guess.

More Details, the More the better.
BtS log files

To speed up finding possible causes for bugs, you can enable logging in BtS and attach zipped log files in this thread when you post about your findings.

To enable logging go to BtS folder and open Civ4Config. Check following options to these settings:

; Enable the logging system
LoggingEnabled = 1

; Overwrite old network and message logs
OverwriteLogs = 1

; Enable rand event logging
RandLog = 1

; Enable message logging
MessageLog = 1

You will find the Log File in the My Documents path, ex. C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Logs.

Delete the old logs 1st, then start game with turn that CTD's run turn let CTD happen. Then from the New Log files generated (from the location given above) post the most important log files which are PythonDbg and PythonErr.

JosEPh

where is a good site to post my save file? and how do i post a log?
I think i may have a bug or some sort of overactive script.
Im playing a custom game with 21 set factions on a giant map. I have barbarian civ mod on cause i like the concept but something seems to have gone wrong this time.
I have 3 continents in my game so i had no clue what was going on in the other 2 continents, but it seemed that there were a lot of minor civs being started up. So i killed the ones near me. when i discovered the other 2 continents i soon found that the minor civs on there had rapidly become full civs and my 21 player game went up to 36 factions.
Im on noble difficulty. While i had managed to continue to grow my civ to around 10 cities, the minor civs seems to stop the AI from settling town at an acceptable rate. now the world im in is pretty much game over since i have a 400 point jump on most of them.

That's how Barb Civ works, you do not have a bug.

Every Barb city placed on the map has a chance to become 1st a Minor Civ and then a Full Civ. If you started on a Giant map there will be Many Barb Cities with Barb Civ On. Once the # of Civs reaches 49 there is a built in cap and no more will spawn until there is room thru elimination.

JosEPh

Please when reporting a CTD or Bug give details. If it is reproducible CTD post save game With what Game Options you have set and what you were doing when it happens. Otherwise without details it's a guessing game. And we can not fix anything if we have to guess.

More Details, the More the better.

You will find the Log File in the My Documents path, ex. C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Logs.

Delete the old logs 1st, then start game with turn that CTD's run turn let CTD happen. Then from the New Log files generated (from the location given above) post the most important log files which are PythonDbg and PythonErr.

JosEPh

Thanks I did that and got the log files.

View attachment PythonDbg.zip
This is the PythonDbg log, the PythonErr log was empty.
From a quick glance at it, in the last 2 lines read:
Code:
PY:Nuke detonated at 79, 36
PY:Nuke detonated at 79, 36
This is the point where I think its crashing; while AI turn seems to play out normally, one AI tries to nuke something, then the game crashes. I can provide further logs and save game if needed.
Thanks

@tasans,
You have the game start option Advanced Nukes ( I'm not remembering it's correct name at the moment) Option check On? Need to know whether it's on or not. I may need to contact Civ Feuhrer if that Option is On.

Are you using a Worldbuilder made scenario?

JosEPh

in the last afforess release of AND i had the same settings as the SVN:
giant map
eternity speed( except it was snail 4500 turns)
custom continents: 3
advanced start classical
21 civs (ideally 7 per continent)
no barb world
barb civ mod
revolutions

on the SVN version it seems that barb civs pop up much much faster than the last 2.whatever was released. in the old mod i would say about 4 to 6 barb civs popped up and only 2 survived. in the SVN version i got 8 on my continent alone but the problem is that the AI is terrible at wiping them out. they just stick around and stagnate the game up. i even world builder edited the AI armies and they just sit there at war with 4 minor civs with a huge army and dont wipe them out.
was there a change in the barb civ mod? or could we make some sort of option to max the player range? start with 21 civs but do not exceed 28?

@tasans,
You have the game start option Advanced Nukes ( I'm not remembering it's correct name at the moment) Option check On? Need to know whether it's on or not. I may need to contact Civ Feuhrer if that Option is On.

Are you using a Worldbuilder made scenario?

JosEPh

Yes Advanced nukes are on.

I am not using a scenario, it is a normal game that was saved and loaded through worldbuilder.

Anybody else getting random crashes at end of turns (while waiting for AI)? Mostly happens when AI asking for diplomacy of some sorts (tech trade, declare war, etc).

Researching Paper right now, so not too far into the game...

Any ideas on possible reasons for this to happen?

This only started happening recently.... maybe for about 50 turns or so now... SOmetimes when I re-load it'll continue to next turn but next it'll crash again later.

Python file attached... but remember - it's a random crash.

Using SVN 600

Attachments

• PythonDbg.rar
    36.9 KB · Views: 201
Yes Advanced nukes are on.

I am not using a scenario, it is a normal game that was saved and loaded through worldbuilder.

That actually does make it a scenario cause that's how you make them. ;) That's why the Python was giving WB saves infos.

Advanced Nukes is Civ Fuehrer's modmod but I don't know what version is in AND2.0. Will have to check.

And what map are you using?

@Skie,

Wouldn't be using Barb World would you as a game set up option?
Edit: okay your's is a World Builder save too. What map are you using?

JosEPh

Huge size. Random - Tectonics I think. Following options on:

Marathon (custom changes)
No City Razing
Flipping After Conquest
Pick Religion
No Tech Brokering
New Random Seed
No Espionage
No Revolution
No Tech Diffusion
Mountains
Adv Diplomacy
Unlimited Wonders
Barbarian Generals
Realistic Culture Spread
Larger Cities
United Nations
Castles
Arctic and Parks
Civic Buildings
Early Buildings
Historical Wonders
Modern Corporations

I've cleared the cache. No difference.

It's too random for me to figure out what's causing it... it happens at end of turn though at all times during the AI's turns. A lot of the times it's when some type of diplomacy is happening (right after or right before one pops up) - but always when initiated by AI. Don't think it's graphics related since it's so random and sometimes the next turn works after a load... sometimes I have to re-load 2-3 times before it works....

Also using extra civs: 9 of them inside the Modules folder, but only one (Hurrians) is actually in play in current game.

I'm on turn 950 or so and it's only been happening for the last 50-70 turns or so....

That actually does make it a scenario cause that's how you make them. ;) That's why the Python was giving WB saves infos.

Advanced Nukes is Civ Fuehrer's modmod but I don't know what version is in AND2.0. Will have to check.

And what map are you using?

Rom_Planet_Generator 0.68

Been playing the SVN Version for about 2 weeks now and not CTD's, until now. Here is a permanent one that I can't get by. I have attached the save and also uploaded my xml schema should that be the culprit though I highly doubt it.

EDIT: for some reason I can't upload my XML schema. To whoever is testing this, let me know if this CTD does not occur on your PC and I shall find a way of uploading it. Also two birds can be killed with this stone; in this save, I get declared on and the enemy can use my transportation network without the commando promotion (I removed it from my XML files).

EDIT 2: Possible Cause of Bug: I took note that on the turn before this upload, I was given a UN resolution to vote on. All the vote options were blank (no text), minus the last one which was indicated "None". Right after that i got the prompt to vote for a new UN candidate. In this save, which is on the next turn, as soon as the turn finishes ending (after tokugawa moves his units) and at the moment the new UN re-election result comes thru the game crashes. This could be the cause. Hope it helps!

Attachments

• CTD_TRANSHUMAN.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.7 MB · Views: 199
There is still a bug/CTD in the Barb World Option. If the Barbs attack an AI city that is size 1 (recently founded) and they take the city, they are forced to Raze that city. Somewhere in the Python between Acquire New City Event and Raze City Event there is a conflict and causes a CTD.

There is a work around, but you will end up having to do it several times during the course of a game.

It involves clearing the log files after the CTD, then replaying the turn to allow the CTD to happen again. Then in the New Log files look in the PythonDbg file at the last 2 lines. It will pinpoint the city.

Reload the Turn that CTDs, go into WB and find the city. You can do 2 things: 1 eliminate the barb attackers (least desirable with Barb World On) or 2. up the city size to 2 from 1. The city will still generally be Razed but Not being size 1 stops the CTD. Occasionally just visiting the city in WB changes the Barb AI's logic path and the CTD will be averted, but this is the rarer occurrence.

JosEPh

To put this back on track. Version Beta 3, SVN 602

1. Missing CIV4Alerts_WarTrade in the bug screen 4th tab from memory (Doh!!) IN the bug screen.

Noted, thank you, I'll have a look.

2. No "Respawn Holy City Option" and it doesn't work when the holy city is destroyed. So not on by default, and not an option.

Respawn Holy City is in tab 2 in BUG Options (RevDCM), and it's not ON by default. The holy city will relocate under certain conditions (you can see them hovering your mouse over this option) and if religion is purged from the city via inquisitors. I don't know if it works by razing the city and I don't know if it ever was intended to.

3. Inquisitors, I'm still banging on about this chestnut. I have researched Intolerant, I have adopted the Civic in religion, of intolerance, yet, I still have inquisitors greyed out, when I select "show unbuildable units, or not at all, when I choose hidden. So WHAT AM I MISSING OUT ON. Don't just moronically say "well I can build them" EXPLAIN, version of mod, etc.

Do I need another Technology, I haven't researched liberal as yet, so its not that.

Does it tell you something when you hover the mouse over the inquisitor unit in the city screen? If you can upload your savegame, I can have a look. But as you can see in the following screenshot, it's working perfectly for me.

Of course I'm using SVN602. I can't tell you anything else because I CAN build them, so there's obviously a problem on your side and I can't tell what it is unless you provide a savegame. :)

And further, what is "free religion" civic's, is that a hangover from the unmodded Civ 4?? I assume so.

If you mean "Free church" I don't think it's a hangover. It's a specific civic and it's there for a reason.

Further notes on game play.

The AI's seem to have an inordinate love of the Civic's ;

Intolerant - THEY run this in most cases.
Pacifism - In conjunction with Intolerance.

As you can see in the following screenshot, that's not true. It depends on the game, on the turn and on a lot of other conditions. As you can see in my game nobody is using Pacifism and only 2 out of 16 civs are using Intolerant (there are more civs which aren't visibile in the screenshot).

Now I play with aggressive AI, so war's abound, but as a pacifist, they war CONSTANTLY. Yes, I'm the same, but I win, crush in my wars, not sending stacks of troops to their virtual death (it is a game ha ha). This only, combined with revolutions, only raises the level of unrest and destroys the AI's Civilization.

Note from Current game, Playing Immortal, Giant map, marathon speed. Revolutions on, Rom Continents.

Lots of spawining of Civs, even though I set it to city size 7, they just kept spawning and growing, now set to 10. Rebels, keep popping up all over etc.

On 2nd Continent, 3 civs were actually above me in score, one civ 300+ points :crazyeye: well done. :goodjob: (but I was playing assuming, we were the advance continent)

On options, namely high to low option. I'd recommend, don't play with Revolutions on, bad idea, too many 1 city Civs, to try to recover yourself. I've world built out 3 or 4, but more keep popping up. Tried to seed my low civ, but new ones keep popping up as 1 city rebels.

Problems with Revolution are very much map-dependant. I play with PerfectMongoose and it happened to me only once or twice (over more than 150 games) that a civ crumbled on itself because of revolutions. Another problem in your game could be that they're using Pacifism and constantly going to war. I could tune down Pacifism to make AI dislike it a little more, but I'll have to go deeper in testing it because I haven't heard other people complaining about Pacifism and as you've seen in my previous screenshot, in my game nobody is using it, so it could be game-dependant and not a general problem of AND2.

Consistent CTD on load... getting a screen for a UN resolution with no text (originally text loaded, but the save game won't load it). v600.

Logs here
save game here

Any advice?

Been getting some other CTDs with this game...keeps happening randomly, but this one is consistent.

Top Bottom