Vokarya's Workshop: Buildings

I'm not sure. There isn't a module for it. Vincentz's Guilds and Corporations are in. I looked in my copy of Rise of Mankind (not AND) 2.92 and all I saw were Guilds, Corporations, and Jungle Camp, which are all in the main AND.

I'm not sure what was included in VIM but I think I've seen some part of the code referring to this mod inside the dll and it was disabled in AND2.0 if I'm not mistaken.

As with the Solar Plant, I was just thinking about something as an incentive to build second-level one where the first-level one already exists. But the way it is now - with no 'future tech' power plant, except for the Fusion, which is National Wonder, the High Efficiency Solar Power Plant would be nice enough with just ability to build it anywhere. My guess it will land somewhere around meta-materials, maybe even just right there, but that would probably require a little shuffling with what's there in the first place. But that's for later time, I guess.

As with the Microprocessor, I see your point. It's really better this way, that's right.

As the Factories - it makes sense. Well, than maybe revision of Advanced Castles is something to keep in mind for future? Anyway, I will be glad to help with Factory line revamp.

I hope some of my ideas will be useful in the process - I know I have a lot of them, and I am well aware they not necessarily make sense, but hey, brainstorming. ;)

I'm not sure. There isn't a module for it. Vincentz's Guilds and Corporations are in. I looked in my copy of Rise of Mankind (not AND) 2.92 and all I saw were Guilds, Corporations, and Jungle Camp, which are all in the main AND.

Afforess removed it iirc now when AND was getting ready to be a stand a lone mod. Vincentz Industrial Mod may have had it's original home in RoM proper. ( I have to get my older comp up and running to check this out)

JosEPh

Arsenal is my idea to extend the Siege Weapons Workshop-Cannon Forge line to a third building. The Arsenal gives you +100% production of all siege units after the Cannon (Light Artillery and up), but since most modern military units also use weapons that could be provided by an Arsenal, I gave it +25% military unit production as well. It is substantially more unhealthy than a Cannon Forge (+3 :yuck:) and requires a Factory and a Steel resource. I'm actually surprised that we don't have a resource requirement on the Light Artillery unit. I think that unit should require Steel.

With the Arsenal, the Siege Weapons Workshop and Cannon Forge would actually never go obsolete, but the Arsenal would replace them at the middle of the Industrial Era. The Arsenal is available at Artillery right when the Light Artillery (the first post-Cannon Siege unit) becomes available.

View attachment 361606

Military Base is another one of my ideas to take a 2-building line and expand it to 3. In this case, the Military Base builds off the Barracks/Garrison line. It becomes available at Logistics and offers slightly enhanced capabilities over the Garrison. It increases the XP bonus to new Gunpowder, Wheeled, Tracked, and Siege units to +3 (over +2), provides +2 XP to new Helicopter, Hi-Tech, Assault Mech, and Dreadnought units, and increases the unit healing bonus to +25% (from +20% for Garrison).

View attachment 361842

Military Base is another one of my ideas to take a 2-building line and expand it to 3. In this case, the Military Base builds off the Barracks/Garrison line. It becomes available at Logistics and offers slightly enhanced capabilities over the Garrison. It increases the XP bonus to new Gunpowder, Wheeled, Tracked, and Siege units to +3 (over +2), provides +2 XP to new Helicopter, Hi-Tech, Assault Mech, and Dreadnought units, and increases the unit healing bonus to +25% (from +20% for Garrison).

View attachment 361842

Looks great! :goodjob:

Here's a set of buildings that may seem a bit narrow but are created to help a particular tech and then have something else buildable in the Transhuman Era.

The Combat Simulator and Flight Simulator become available at Virtual Reality. Virtual Reality is a one-trick tech right now (the E-Bank) and I'd like to give it a bit more. The Combat Simulator requires a Military Base and provides +2 XP to all new Land units. The Flight Simulator requires either a Military Base, Military Airbase, or Aerospace Complex and provides +2 XP to all new Air and Helicopter units.

View attachment 362393View attachment 362394

At Wireless Electricity, the Simulators upgrade to Holographic Simulators that increase the XP bonus to +4 of the appropriate types.

View attachment 362395View attachment 362396

The one thing that I'm not quite sure on is how many requirements to put on the basic simulators. Both levels of simulator require the appropriate military building to build, but the Holographic simulators have three extra requirements:
  • Access to Power
  • Computer Network building
  • Semiconductors resource
I'm not sure how many of these should be at the default level for all simulators. I'm thinking just the Power requirement might be enough. Let me know what you think.

I also worked up the Solar Plant. As I said before, the Solar Plant becomes available at Microprocessor and provides clean power. It is fairly limited in where you can build it -- max latitude 30 degrees and have a Plains or Desert in the city vicinity. You also have to have Semiconductors resource.

The Solar Plant is more expensive than any other non-Wonder plant in the Industrial/Modern Era. The base cost is 400; Coal is 195, Oil is 325, Hydro is 260, Nuclear is 350. This is to balance out that you don't need a river and the Solar Plant won't melt down.

View attachment 362398View attachment 362399

What about Wind Power Plant that could be built only in vicinity of peaks (because hills are waaaay too widespread and it'd make the solar plant rather niche)?

Here's a set of buildings that may seem a bit narrow but are created to help a particular tech and then have something else buildable in the Transhuman Era.

The Combat Simulator and Flight Simulator become available at Virtual Reality. Virtual Reality is a one-trick tech right now (the E-Bank) and I'd like to give it a bit more. The Combat Simulator requires a Military Base and provides +2 XP to all new Land units. The Flight Simulator requires either a Military Base, Military Airbase, or Aerospace Complex and provides +2 XP to all new Air and Helicopter units.

View attachment 362393View attachment 362394

At Wireless Electricity, the Simulators upgrade to Holographic Simulators that increase the XP bonus to +4 of the appropriate types.

View attachment 362395View attachment 362396

The one thing that I'm not quite sure on is how many requirements to put on the basic simulators. Both levels of simulator require the appropriate military building to build, but the Holographic simulators have three extra requirements:
  • Access to Power
  • Computer Network building
  • Semiconductors resource
I'm not sure how many of these should be at the default level for all simulators. I'm thinking just the Power requirement might be enough. Let me know what you think.

I agree, looks good to me.
Vokarya, have you seen my advice about Palisade in the other thread?

I also worked up the Solar Plant. As I said before, the Solar Plant becomes available at Microprocessor and provides clean power. It is fairly limited in where you can build it -- max latitude 30 degrees and have a Plains or Desert in the city vicinity. You also have to have Semiconductors resource.

The Solar Plant is more expensive than any other non-Wonder plant in the Industrial/Modern Era. The base cost is 400; Coal is 195, Oil is 325, Hydro is 260, Nuclear is 350. This is to balance out that you don't need a river and the Solar Plant won't melt down.

View attachment 362398View attachment 362399

Sounds great! :D

I like the solar plants very much, as they are. The main problem I have with the power plants is the fact that the Power is binary; I would imagine it having more sense for Nuclear plant to have high build cost and high energy output, for example, but I agree that getting Power more complicated is unnecessary. :) So - very good work, IMHO.
As for the simulators, I guess that Semiconductors would a sensible requirement for the first level, too, but only if the resource is widespread (I haven't yet to gotten to such far era in my games on new revisions :) ) and it isn't requirement for too many things now. With semiconductors being pretty much the base for modern-day industry in all aspects, we can't really put them as req everywhere, now can we? ;)
Also, I have too questions - first off, is there a chance to talk about civics while revising the tech tree? I've scanned threads back to March this year, and I haven't seen any discussion about civics, but I'm not sure if it was discussed already. I've had a few ideas about them lately, but I don't know if there is a point to work on those. And second question is solely to Vokarya - are there any chains you want longer, but have no idea for new building? Posting them could be useful, if there are any, at least for me, allowing me to focus my thinking process. Trying to wrap my mind around everything at once is problematic. :)

is there a chance to talk about civics while revising the tech tree? I've scanned threads back to March this year, and I haven't seen any discussion about civics, but I'm not sure if it was discussed already. I've had a few ideas about them lately, but I don't know if there is a point to work on those.

I have kind of a grand plan to rework civics but that will have to wait some months. There are a lot of things to change, fix and tweak before we reach that point. Right now we're working on AND2.2 beta, new civics will have to wait AND2.3.

I like the solar plant idea, but I would like to see/suggest an alternative. Here in Denmark (latitude 54,5 to 57,7) , several buildings (homes as factories) have installed solar panels, so they get electricity from the sun. There are also talks about making a "Solar Power Plant" there can generate 4,8 MW.

I like the solar plant idea, but I would like to see/suggest an alternative. Here in Denmark (latitude 54,5 to 57,7) , several buildings (homes as factories) have installed solar panels, so they get electricity from the sun. There are also talks about making a "Solar Power Plant" there can generate 4,8 MW.

I don't think the power system is fine-grained enough to support solar panels, at least for the Modern Era. The game does not support anything between "no power" and "enough power to support heavy industry" which is what the current power plants are. We would need to do some deep analysis of what we want power to be in the Transhuman Era. With what we have now, I think mixing the Fusion Power Plant with a transmitter available at Wireless Electricity would probably be better.

I think I just found what would be a good fit for Microprocessor: the solar panels Plant. We have Coal, Oil, Nuclear, Hydro, and Fusion. Coal and Oil are dirty, Nuclear is clean but can melt down, Hydro is clean but needs a River, and Fusion is a National Wonder. Solar would be clean, but wouldn't have all the other requirements of Hydro/Nuclear. although I would probably put a Desert/Plains in city vicinity requirement to handle the amount of open space needed. I haven't coded it up yet, but it looks plausible. What do you think?

Were you able to code it? It seems like very effective thought and we will be able to produce good amount electricity at very cheap price.. Please share information

Were you able to code it? It seems like very effective thought and we will be able to produce good amount electricity at very cheap price.. Please share information

Look at post #29. I haven't uploaded anything to the SVN yet. I'm waiting for 45* to upload a version with a new DLL before I make any changes myself. To balance it against the Nuclear and Hydro plants, the Solar Plant is not cheap to build, but it doesn't melt down like the Nuclear Plant can and doesn't need a River the way the Hydro Plant does.

Last three buildings for the moment. The Printer, Painter's Studio, and Photographer's Studio are three buildings I coded up to help out the one-trick pony techs of Printing Press, Oil Painting and Photography.

Tech Current Trick
Printing Press Village/Town +1 :commerce:
Oil Painting Leonardo's Workshop wonder
Photography Agent unit

Printer provides a flat +5% to Culture, Science, and Espionage. The bonuses are low because either the Press Agency or the Publishing House replaces the Printer, so I don't want to punish a player for upgrading.

View attachment 363450View attachment 363451

Painter's Studio is another really simple building: +1 :gold:, +2 :culture:, and 1 Artist slot. It's available at Oil Painting because Free Artistry has enough stuff already.

Since portrait painting became much less popular with the advent of photography, the Photographer's Studio replaces the Painter's Studio. It provides the same benefits except that the gold is +2 instead of +1.

View attachment 363452View attachment 363453

The stats are set up so that you don't lose anything by upgrading from the Office to the Network, like this:
Telegraph Office Telephone Network
Cost 150 300
Maintenance +10% +10%
Trade Routes +1 +2
Culture +5% +10%
Power Required No Yes
Resource Req None Copper

I'm sorry, but the maintenance make no sense. "Maintenance" in Civ4 means _government_ maintenance, which increases with the number of cities and complex civics. Things that make communication easier should reduce maintenance instead. Ditto for most of the other +% maintenance buildings.

As for the Solar Power plant, it seems to me that the best way to balance it would be to make it a terrain improvement : that way it has a penalty in taking away a workable terrain space (which represents well the large land needs of such power plants) and is not better than Fusion.

Top Bottom