[Feedback needed] AND2 Checker: Easy installation and update v0.3

The launcher still manually update the mod. I don't want to introduce auto-update as it can break some savegame from times to times.
If you find it necessary, i can add a auto-update features, but i don't think this is needed.

About your xml modifications, i plan to add a simple window in the options, with a directory tree with checkboxes, so you will only have to click/unclick to exclude/non-exclude files for update. Do you think it will be nice ? If you think about a better way to implement this, share your thoughts.
About the mod, the automatic procedure should be:
- Download the mod archive
- Unzip it in a temp directory
- Scan the mod files
- Add these to the exclusions file
- Overwrite existing mod files

dbkblk,

I did some testing of the new launcher, it looks great. It is a lot faster, and seems fairly simple to use. One thing I did notice was that if I cancelled the update of the mod, and re-opened the launcher, it shows an update available, but there is no option to actually update. It shows the local svn version as "error" (which is fine), but the update process doesn't work unless I do a full re-install. The installer should detect a broken mod install and try to fix it.

I think once this last issue is fixed, we should use your installer as the new main installer. :)

45°38'N-13°47'E;13568091 said:
Can't you just backup your XML folder and overwrite any SVN change with your own backup?

That's exactly what I do. Have Word++ open at the time you're updating and then tell it not to replace any files that have just been changed.

One thing I did notice was that if I cancelled the update of the mod, and re-opened the launcher, it shows an update available, but there is no option to actually update.

Thank you :) I will fix that in a hotfix; i already know how to do it.

@ dbkblk, got my changes made and copied to a safe place I going to go play now!

I would not bother with adding the text box thing because future mod updates will include xml changes that will cause errors, as you pointed out earlier. If anything I would suggest placing a notice in the GUI to back up any player made changes to a separate folder (thank you 45) .

I think you will soon receive requests from other mods for this fine work you have created!

dbkblk - just wanted to say I am already seeing a large rise in traffic from users using your installer! Great job.

Updated to 1.01:
BUGFIX: Fix broken update when the updater is manually closed before to end.
TRANSLATIONS: Updated german, french and spanish
CHANGE: The launcher version is now longer written in the config file

I have suffered a corrupted install.
the story; I had a ctd last nite. this morning I decided to update and also add MoreMusic Mod. the game then would not start. after 4 tries I deleted the and update folder. Then I downloaded and installed the and download folder per instructions. NOW when I start the game I find this corruption.; I see the screen that says Rise Of Mankind up in the right hand corner BUT the game stats vanilla BTS NOT AND! an obvious corruption. ( I cannot find the screenshot to upload. Yes I did look in the normal screenshot location C/user BLAH BLAH)

So now BTS is corrupted because the BTS/Mods folder has been overwritten by the AND Installer. When I click BTS/MODS it only shows the contents of the AND folder.

I will now be forced to reinstall Civ4, BTS, AND.:sad:

I don't have time to look at it right now but if the game state that the mod is loaded but it isn't, it might be caused because the mod isn't loaded but it was asked to be by the ini file (in My docs). You might check if your mod folder is effectively named "Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn".

You do not understand my description of what happened.

I am in the process of reinstalling the WHOLE game and mods.

So far in my first try the installer has installed into bts/ mods. but it has not bothered to create a folder so there it is all spread all over the floor! I will create a folder and put it away myself!

You do not understand my description of what happened.

I am in the process of reinstalling the WHOLE game and mods.
Oldnoob, he understood, that's something that happens sometimes even with the old installer. Do you start the mod from the launcher? Sometimes, we don't know why, the ini setting file is getting reinitialized and it loose the ability to auto start the mod. Hence you're supposed to start the mod but what really happens is that only base BTS is being started. I don't think you needed to reinstall everything from scratch, although that will probably solve your problem.

Edit, I've seen your edit. It seems that the folder problem has caused your current situation. Definitely something that must be solved, and you're right, in that case you have to reinstall everything, sorry

Third try, Bts/Mods overwritten again. game screen says AND but plays vanilla BTS.
I am now out of ideas so my only solution will be to reinstall BTS and install the NON SVN nightly build. I just do not know what else to do.

Third try, Bts/Mods overwritten again. game screen says AND but plays vanilla BTS.
I am now out of ideas so my only solution will be to reinstall BTS and install the NON SVN nightly build. I just do not know what else to do.

Have you tried deleting Civilization.ini and .bak, restarting base BTS and looking if you can load the mod from Advanced options BTS main menu?

tried and no difference

Wait a minute, you say you get the main menu with "Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn" written in the upper right corner? Is the background image the one of the planet with the big title "Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn" or do you get the plain BTS background image? I'm asking because it happened to me, don't ask me why, that for some reason the mod was loading fine but I thought it was loading default BTS because it was loading the default background image. But if I checked civilopedia, I could see that techs and everything else were those of AND. The splash screen was the only thing that was from original BTS. I went crazy thinking why the mod wasn't loading when in fact it was and just the background image was the basic BTS image.

No I started the mod and the game was vanilla BTS. no bug, no version popup, etc.

PLANET

I just looked into the AND folder and noticed the assets folder missing so I an running the checker. It takes over an hour to update so I will report back after it finishes.

Top Bottom