[Reference] Colour Schemes of Released Modded Civs

I think this thread trusts the user's knowledge of the 43 Firaxis made combinations. A link is available in the OP, but if the demand is high I'll add it later.

Thanks JFD! Updated.

I think it would be good if both the colours were plain (like your city name comparisons) and the vanilla civs were included. That way, whenever someone says "Aren't the colours a bit close to..." that can instantly be checked. Having just the icons makes the distinctions between colours a lot more blurry, when they might be really different on the map

That sounds great, but I won't go ahead and make that leap. If someone wants to make like 100+ graphics then be my guest!

Give me a good rectangle size for the template, some free time, and sufficient boredom and I'll do it. I'd be using a color picker tool on the icons, so they may not be 100% accurate.

Here's one that I whipped up as a first draft, subject to change. Shows both colours as a background so to allow for side-by-side comparison, with text of the other colour on both for an indication of what the colours look like on top of each other and in inverse:

Not sure the icon is necessary, let alone the inverse. Think the easiest, most time efficient way is to essentially have the bg and the text.

At the very least I'd make the whole template smaller, and the icon the size as it appears on the civ selection screen - it would be better to keep the icons, I think, as the lighting alters the perception of colours a bit and thus provides a useful comparison.

I think that's best too, but all in all it's a matter of efficiency and the time it'd take to create so many graphics.

Personally, I think this thread is better served as a means of elimination regarding what colours are available than anything else.

The Holy Roman Empire by TarcisioCM:

Attachments

• HRE.png
    HRE.png
    45.5 KB · Views: 320
I made color rectangles for the Firaxis civs. If these are sufficient, I'll proceed with modded civs.

[Depreciated Link]

I made color rectangles for the Firaxis civs. If these are sufficient, I'll proceed with modded civs.

http://imgur.com/a/qMIHA

These seem sufficient. There's no need for anything more. There is room for overlap with the actual icon schemes, or with the text/border colours, but not so for the background. The point of avoiding overlap isn't for aesthetic purposes so much as for practicality, and a colour scheme only ever becomes impractical when the backgrounds are indistinguishable.

I'll try and do the same for my civs.

Well, I went ahead and did Pouakai's suggestion, which does have some merits. One example is that you can't really tell Venice is cream colored until the colors are flipped.

Adding the icons would just take extra time and get me endlessly frustrated as soon as I step outside of Firaxis' civilizations into inconsistent sized icons. Gotta keep things nice and ordered, even if I can't perfectly align the names here.

I plan to pick at the other modded civs and make albums for them over the next few days, so there's no need for you to do anything, JFD. Unless you want to.

Anyway, new album of Firaxis civ colors here: [Images no longer necessary]

These were done after I had originally just made the top halves, so the slightly inaccurate colors are now slightly more inaccurate on the bottom half because jpg artifacts have set in. But it gets the job done. Future albums won't have that problem.

Thanks for what you've done Pyro. I'm not really sure that we need the inverse colours though. Personally I think it'd lead to more clutter and I prefer this thread serve as an elimination guide regarding what's still available or a reference guide just in case somebody says "aren't those colours too close?". In regards to the Creme of Venice, I'm not sure if that helps. I think making icons and choosing colours precludes knowledge of how to use the colour dropper tool.

Also! I think it's better if you make the text All Caps, it's certainly more conducive to what we see in-game. It's also worth noting that if you want to minimize the chances of jpg artifacts - go for the File > Save for Web option. It's guaranteed to reduce file size by a considerable amount.

Protip: When sourcing colours, it's best to pick the colour of the outermost ring for the BG.

So I've quickly done all the Colonialist Legacies civs in the style of this new template which I'll link in the OP soon.

In the meantime - here's the new template :)

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Template.zip
    21.7 KB · Views: 196
So I've quickly done all the Colonialist Legacies civs in the style of this new template which I'll link in the OP soon.

In the meantime - here's the new template :)

Spoiler :

With that template, I think I want to do mine. Hopefully you haven't started any of mine, pyroflare. Thanks for the template, TPangolin.

Top Bottom