Brave New World Patch notes! Version 1.0.3.276

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was the timing of the patch that made me skeptical. They outright ignored every single code error and exploit covered in this patch for nearly a year.

My theory is that they only got budget for Civ5 patch thanks to BtE release.

That why we got "Go Beyond Earth" button on space victory screen.

Or alternatively, they had budget for single Civ5 patch, but it needed to be delayed to add that BtE promotion button, on time of BtE release.

I really don't like this patch - changes which do nothing

(tradition is still best, early warmongering bad, unless domination victory, but in this
case you shouldn't care about warmonger penalties anyway)

and stupid way they 'fix' science overflow - now we should count each GS bulb

(Instead they should fix it correctly by modifying how bonuses to science are applied)

I really don't like this patch - changes which do nothing

(tradition is still best, early warmongering bad, unless domination victory, but in this
case you shouldn't care about warmonger penalties anyway)

and stupid way they 'fix' science overflow - now we should count each GS bulb

(Instead they should fix it correctly by modifying how bonuses to science are applied)

How did they fix science overflow? Where can I read this?

How did they fix science overflow? Where can I read this?

It's actually at the very top of the first post in this thread.

"Fixed tech overflow bug that could allow a user to get free tech each turn for multiple turns. The size of the maximum allowable science overflow is now set at 5 turns of science (about the same as a unmodified research agreement) OR the unmodified cost of the last tech researched, whichever is larger. AI also understands this adjustment."

I think the most interesting thing about this patch is that war monger AIs no longer hobble themselves in the early game like they used to. Ghengis in particular is much scarier now. It used to be pretty easy to turn world opinion against the aggressive AIs and defeat them by dogpiling--no longer. They survive much longer now and are that much more able to invade you without worry.

Just started a game and a neighbor has chocolate (Mmmm . . . chocolcate). Approprate that it is Monteczuma, haha.

But just curious--is there one more happiness resource in my game, or is something else missing?

Other than the standard resources that were added with G&K (and the vanilla ones).. Cocoa is a new luxury resource while Bison is a new bonus resource.

I understand that new maps will have one more lux and one more bonus resource available, and that this only adds to the variety. But, on a tile count basis, are there now slightly more lux and bonus resources, or just more variety but the same quantity?

I understand that new maps will have one more lux and one more bonus resource available, and that this only adds to the variety. But, on a tile count basis, are there now slightly more lux and bonus resources, or just more variety but the same quantity?

Same amount of luxuries, just a slight bit more diversified with the additional type added to the pool.

Bonus-wise, there are slightly more now, since Bison is added on to the existing placements, though it's minimal (which, in my opinion, is good).

Here's just one example from a standard continents map:
Code:
[20765.043] Map Script: - BONUS Resources -
[20765.043] Map Script: 6	Wheat...: 	29
[20765.043] Map Script: 7	Cow.....: 	15
[20765.043] Map Script: 8	Sheep...: 	37
[20765.043] Map Script: 9	Deer....: 	36
[20765.043] Map Script: 10	Banana..: 	16
[20765.059] Map Script: 11	Fish....: 	132
[20765.059] Map Script: 12	Stone...: 	23
[20765.059] Map Script: 40	Bison...: 	8

Thanks! I wasn't sure whether if cocoa was in a specific game than some other resource wouldn't be. Just curious really.

Bonus-wise, there are slightly more now, since Bison is added on to the existing placements, though it's minimal (which, in my opinion, is good).
Actually I think they lowered probability of Wheat on Plains to accommodate for the occurrence of Bison if I'm not mistaken.

Actually I think they lowered probability of Wheat on Plains to accommodate for the occurrence of Bison if I'm not mistaken.

Oh, nice, you're right; I missed that!

Wheat on plains was reduced by roughly 50%.

And since Bison occurs on dry grassland too, Stone was reduced by 33% on it.

EDIT: So, with that knowledge now, I'm don't really think I like the hit to Stone for these Bison. Bonuses are meant to supplement the terrain, and Stone is perfect for grasslands. I think they should've just taken a chunk out of cattle instead, since they're similar (+1F base, +1P improved). Perhaps they were just looking at the same plot list types and missed Cattle, since it belongs to a plot list which includes both fresh water and dry grasslands.

Playing on this patch, today Hiawatha offered me 1 Wine for 1 Salt. I had multiple copies of my Salt but he had only 1 Wine.

It never happened to me before, a leader offering a resource of which he has only 1 copy.

Playing on this patch, today Hiawatha offered me 1 Wine for 1 Salt. I had multiple copies of my Salt but he had only 1 Wine.

It never happened to me before, a leader offering a resource of which he has only 1 copy.

He probably had some from a CS, pretty sure that's a normal thing.

Same amount of luxuries, just a slight bit more diversified with the additional type added to the pool.

Variety adds some interest, but I guess I wish it was strictly additive. More variety but the same totals means that the various quests are harder to fill.

A game with 100 lux plots where each and every lux was unique would be terrible. OTOH, a game with 100 luxs plot where each lux was identical would be even worse! So I guess this tweak should make happiness and trades a little easier.

Too bad about giving up stone on grassland for bison. That's a bad deal. They still did not fix it so that cities on plains can build stoneworks.

Variety adds some interest, but I guess I wish it was strictly additive. More variety but the same totals means that the various quests are harder to fill.

A game with 100 lux plots where each and every lux was unique would be terrible. OTOH, a game with 100 luxs plot where each lux was identical would be even worse! So I guess this tweak should make happiness and trades a little easier.

Too bad about giving up stone on grassland for bison. That's a bad deal. They still did not fix it so that cities on plains can build stoneworks.

Wasn't the inability to build stoneworks on plains was to prevent the city from becoming a production powerhouse? Thought that was a specific design to allow cities not to be a production-hoarder.

Wasn't the inability to build stoneworks on plains was to prevent the city from becoming a production powerhouse? Thought that was a specific design to allow cities not to be a production-hoarder.

All indicators are that was that the intent. But plains is not really any better than grasslands, so it is just arbitrary.

Except that the city tile yield on plains and grasslands is exactly the same. And settling on grassland doesn't necessarily mean there will be no plains around to work and settling on plains doesn't mean there will be plains around to work.

Windmills can only be built on flat land, stoneworks next to quarries and circuses next to ivory or horse.. watermills can be built next to rivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom