SGOTM 13 - One Short Straw

We (Gypsy Kings) used the flying camera, and did sort of identify a possible island to the west. But we sent our 1st western WB NW > SW and actually missed the gold island. In hindsight, a big mistake for us was sending both of our exploring boats long range (1 east, 1 west) and not exploring our immediate surroundings enough.

The flip to that Dhoom is the more you trade with the AI the more advanced they become. The sooner they get feudalism the sooner your wars get much tougher.

Sailing and early trade routes would of helped most games.

It is strange that last two games we have all claimed the Ai to be rather nerfed. Perhaps you are not used to emperor slower expansion speed? The fallout certainly slowed down the Ai on the previous game. Although it was a fun map.

It is strange that last two games we have all claimed the Ai to be rather nerfed. Perhaps you are not used to emperor slower expansion speed?
The comparison, at least for us, was made against multiple test games that were generated with maps that matched the stated settings (and even happened to get pretty close on the correct Leaders, thanks to the hint about which Leaders were responsible for the Elba Island banishment). In each of these test games, multiple AIs expanded to many, many Cities by 1000 BC, far more than we saw in the real game.

So, no, it is not a bias based on having remembered playing higher-difficulty-level-settings' games.

I went digging for a screenshot but we mostly just uploaded test games. However, I did find some humourous screenshots that I had forgotten about.

mdy, earlier gold drastically alters all of the early planning, not just a much earlier astro. Think about your attempts at the Machinery slingshot, for example.

In this particular case it wouldn't have helped that much because the timing of the end of our research phase would have been limited by the date at which we could generate our final GP. Even if the extra beakers enabled us to make do with one less GP it would only have saved a couple of turns. We would have been unlikely to start the CS/pacifism run earlier as we would still have needed to run slavery for roughly the same amount of time in order to get the needed early game expansion-especially as an early rush to found city 2 would have delayed subsequent cities-so it may actually have delayed the revolt to CS/pacifism. I still think we would have been better off with an early gold, just not 12 turns better off.

@Dhoom,
Our test map was Big&Small, with fairly substantial continents for the AIs. The real map was an archipelago - always much, much slower in AI performance. I think the game description made everyone think there would be a big European continent for the AIs.

@Dhoom,
Our test map was Big&Small, with fairly substantial continents for the AIs. The real map was an archipelago - always much, much slower in AI performance. I think the game description made everyone think there would be a big European continent for the AIs.

I actually doubted this from the start. Purely because one continent would make domination far too easy for the top teams. Many smaller land masses made the job much harder.

If you assume one big continent that you can reach astronomy should be just an after thought.

@mdy:

Machinery slingshot ==> 2 GS for the astro slingshot and no Pacifism needed, plus we save I'm not sure how many turns on NOT revolting to all sorts of civics at 1 civic per turn. Just start counting the turns, it's hard to not count to 20 really fast.

If TNT don't finish you may avoid the wooden spoon. They have not officially retired either. Would be cruel on them really as they look like they should win the game easily.

I just stumbled across PD's first 60 moves here. What's interesting is that they had 8 WB exploring turns (T53 to T61) to find a suitable location for their second city. This seems a bit risky but it paid off big time as they sent their first exploring WB west and found the gold.

If my caluclations are correct, it took us 31 WB explorer turns and two exploring work boats before we found the gold on T68. Had we been more agressive with settling city #2 by researching Sailing before Pottery, we would have missed the gold and settled stone/fish instead.

No time for this one Shyuhe. I will be lurking from the start :)

I'm playing this game, but not sure if we'll have a team yet. It would be a pity if OSS couldn't field a team this game!

Has anyone heard from mdy lately? LC, are you playing?

My first SG interest was winning gold. MW did that in SG7. THen repeating, which we did in SG9. My next main SG interest was in playing a perfect game. MW did that in SG11. My next interest was winning gold on another team. OSS did that in SG13, so I'd need a new goal.

On the issue of MM, I think the primary problem is thread clutter. In other words, an experienced player should be able to test things out at home and then post the executive summary. That also leads to a far more sophisticated discussion, I imagine.

OSS did that in SG13, so I'd need a new goal.

How about the goal of getting your post count to five digits. You're so close... ;) How about playing a perfect game on an imperfect team? :mischief:

I get what you're saying though. Without goals, continuing to play gets boring and tedious. I hope you're able to set a goal that allows you to continue playing with us. It looks like we may lose bbp and many of our "lurkers" from last game will not likely sign up.

On the issue of MM, I think the primary problem is thread clutter. In other words, an experienced player should be able to test things out at home and then post the executive summary. That also leads to a far more sophisticated discussion, I imagine.

I agree that there are ways to improve our MM-clutter. Spoiler tags were suggested so that only those interested need dive into the details. At times, it is necessary to fully understand exactly what someone did so that it can be replicated / refined, etc. I think we did a decent job of that at the start of SGOTM-13, only diving deeply into the starting strategies that appeared to have merit.

Hmmm, I thought that increasing LC's post-count was supposed to be one of the goals.

Writing less just makes it easier for our competitors to learn and steal our secrets! ;) :lol:

Honestly, though, I'd rather not have any thought put into post-counts... if you have something to say, you should feel free to say it, but if you are just posting for the point of increasing your post-count, you should save it until you have something useful to contribute to the discussion.

If you want a goal, it could be to help ME to win my first Golden Laurel, which Duckweed seems to imply is a nearly insurmountable challenge. What greater goal is there than to make the impossible become possible?

Top Bottom