Combat Information Table.Why?

TangyFruit

Chieftain
As a newbee to CIV 5, I found the most frustrating part of the game the combat information table that pops up before an attack. I can see that some might love it, but why no option to turn it off (that I have found yet)? I don't want to see the chances of success before I attack, that is what the battle itself is for. But in the forums have found no one complaining. Is it just me?:(

Yeah it's just you.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think those numbers are just the intial calculation before the random number genterator affects the odds. Though usually correct they are not a guarentee of the outcome.

If a unit is low on health, heavily promoted or maybe a scout in a far away place it's very helpful.

Why would this be something to complain about?

Do you know which unit is stronger, Cavalry or Rifleman?

What if the Cavalry has Drill 3 and the Rifleman is fortified on a hill?

If you don't know the answers to these questions (and many more), why would you want to turn that off? You like throwing troops away?

I think it's just more convenient this way. I mean, you COULD calculate the odds manually with a 95% confidence interval, but you'd probably do that with a calculator anyway, i.e. the computer does the stuff for you.

with so many variables affecting unit combat, it wouldn't make any sense to willingly blind yourself and just hope to come out on top of every fight. unit upgrades, great generals and terrain bonuses are all important to consider and it's a part of the strategy of the game

Think of the combat indicator as your general telling you, "Hey, this attack is a really bad idea, you may want to rethink it before sending our troops to their certain doom."

There's still plenty of strategy in combat of where you want to place your units and where you attack.

Yes, combat is interesting, especially concerning you can pretty much decide which units will get attacked by careful placement and using appropriate bait.

Top Bottom