I don't understand Hill/River/Plains tiles

szieker

Chieftain
I put a farm on Hill/River/Plains tile, and instead of going from 1 Food / 1 Hammer to 2 Food / 1 Hammer, it improves to 1 Food / 2 Hammer.

Am i missing something? I would have thought a farm on a river tile would provide more food than that.

What don't you get? Hills are 2 hammers, farms add 1 food until civil service.

the farm adds 1 food to a tile. the hill has an innate 2 hammers. When you add a farm to a plains hill, you get 1 food and 2 hammers. You would get 2 food 2 hammers from a grassland hill.

Basically, avoid plains when possible, build only mines on plains hills. I occasionally toss a farm on a grassland hill if I have a very tall city and hills to spare

the farm adds 1 food to a tile. the hill has an innate 2 hammers. When you add a farm to a plains hill, you get 1 food and 2 hammers. You would get 2 food 2 hammers from a grassland hill.

Basically, avoid plains when possible, build only mines on plains hills. I occasionally toss a farm on a grassland hill if I have a very tall city and hills to spare

It doesn't matter if it's a plains hill or grassland hill. The yields are the same for hills. Farms on a hill provide +1 food, +2 production. After civil service, you get the fresh water bonus which changes the yield to +2 food, +2 production.

To OP, it sounds like you had a forest on the hill. Hills with forest give +1 food, +1 production. After chopping the forest, the yield changes to +2 production. Then farm yields are discussed above.

It doesn't matter if it's a plains hill or grassland hill. The yields are the same for hills. Farms on a hill provide +1 food, +2 production. After civil service, you get the fresh water bonus which changes the yield to +2 food, +2 production.

To OP, it sounds like you had a forest on the hill. Hills with forest give +1 food, +1 production. After chopping the forest, the yield changes to +2 production. Then farm yields are discussed above.

Yeah, I had a forest on the tile too. I guess I must have forgotten about the 1 food from the forest initially.

Yeah, any forest tile will yield 1 food and 1 hammer; the underlying terrain type is "trumped" by the forest. So, as compared to a "naked" hill's 2 hammers, a forested hill "gains" 1 food but "loses" 1 hammer, just by reason of the forest. When you replace the forest with a farm the tile yields 1 food (farm, before Civil Service) and 2 hammers (normal yield from a "naked" hill).

As above, the Forest type (1 food 1 hammer) trumps everything, then naked Hills trumps any other terrain type (all naked Hills be they plains/grass/desert give 0 food, 2 hammers).

Top Bottom