Best and worst Civs for start bias

I understand why everyone complains about Sweden, but isn't a base tundra plain more useful than a base desert plain? I mean, it has +1 food over the desert, and can also have dance of the aurora, which isn't picked by the AI often. Whilst the Petra won't be there to back you up, tundra seems to have higher chance of spawning oil and uranium, so whilst your early game might be a bit week, you will make up for it later in rarer resources (I'd be surprised if a tundra start didn't yield at least 8 oil or 4 uranium:cowboy:)

Tundra often lands you close to snow, which is bad.
Tundra has no flood plains
The pantheon only works on non-forested tiles, and I guess it might be a hassle to deal with early game?

Morocco is not desert bias. It's like close to desert bias but I think it just has no forest like egypt.

Tundra often lands you close to snow, which is bad.
Tundra has no flood plains
The pantheon only works on non-forested tiles, and I guess it might be a hassle to deal with early game?

Indeed, the best tundra tiles are generally your deer and trapping luxes which show up in forests. The only good tiles that you'll be able to use are mining luxes and then you could have just taken Religious Idols and gotten more culture out of it. If you're going to play a tundra start you're generally better off with Goddess of the Hunt.

Best: Any civ that can get a tile advantage (forest, desert, ocean, etc.) through their unique attributes (UA, UB, UU, etc.)

Worst: Any civ that has no tile advantage of any kind and has a start bias in inconvenient situations (desert, tundra, jungle etc.).

I think Morocco is the best for start bias since every one of their unique components is contingent of having a desert start. The worst has to be Sweden since they don't get anything significant for starting near tundra, which is undesirable and close to snow/ice that doesn't yield anything. Brazil has a mildly inconvenient start bias since jungle starts are typically tougher and their UI doesn't come into play until nearly the late mid-game, but no one other civ can make better use of jungle than they can once they do.

Top Bottom