Slow turns

_ViKinG_

BERSERKER
After i got BNW the turns takes to long after modern era and almoust in every turn a civ is laggy an takes many minutes to wait on one civ. its the best game i have played and i dont play it now because its takes 20 minutes in one turn sometimes even in strategig view and thats brakes the fun of the game. its only waiting and waiting for the looong turns. it was slow in gk to. they need to fix that in the game. A turn should take a couple of second. A so good game should not be so slow that i consider to quit playing the game. its a shame. i even got a new pc for bnw to make it as ready for the game when it came out. its annoing because i really like the game.

1. What map size are you playing on, and how many civs / city states?
2. What's your processor?

I'm playing with minimum specs and while I see some lagging on turn-processing, it's not as bad as the op suggests, like 2 minutes, not 20. I can even play huge maps with default civs, but I can't load it up with 21 civs/41 city states. I mostly play standard sizes/settings and it's manageable there. That said, new computer is on Santa's List.

Intel 9000. 400 2.6 ghz i think. i only play on large map 22 civs with 10 city states. i dont want to play on minor maps now. i got from giant map to large so. used to mutch time on map building. but i use world builder and settle all cities ready on earth map. so a civ starts with 3-30 cities. but that should not have to mutch to say. its slow anyway in late game

Well, you're playing massive maps on a processor that's 4 years old, what do you expect?

I made my situation "playable" by switching to Quick Moves and Quick Combat. I don't want to fiddle any more than that. Prior to that I was aggravated when a civ took 20 seconds to make its move, nothing like 20 minutes for a full move. I play on an i5 with 6RAM and a GTX 650, so my technology is about two years old. I like the fact that games push the envelope. But I don't want to be "computer poor" either by purchasing constant upgrades.

Nonetheless, the slow moves combined with the extended tech tree can make the game wearisome and plodding. I come close to feeling dread approaching that long haul through fertilizer and dynamite. Given these factors, I would hope Firaxis will declare a moratorium on new techs until the machinery (hardware) catches up.

As I see it the allure of these games is the feeling of empowerment brought about through promotion and so any alterations that delay or significantly change promotion are more likely than not to discourage players, (forcing them to work much, much longer to achieve the same outcome). I play on nothing but Marathon and so I like the extended game, (as it used to be). I consider Marathon more immersive than the alternatives. But the protracted moves and extended tech tree make for long, long periods of "not much happening."

Also, I "get" the idea that one may not complete the tech tree, but at the late, late stage of the game, those uncompleted technologies actually take away from the end game that Firaxis has tried so hard to build up.

hehe i know the processor is not new the pc was a upgrade for what a had before. so a new process would fix it then?

I've had this happen several times in different games. Huge, epic, normal number of civs. Late in the game, Japan just started taking forever to process their turn. All the other civs, regardless of how big they were or whether they were in a war or whatever, processed through within a few seconds- but when it would come Japan's turn, it would take *minutes* before it would finish and move on through the rest of the AI turn. This went on for a long time and a lot of turns, before it got so bad I gave up. There was no rational excuse for why it was doing this, as Japan wasn't doing anything special that any of the other civs weren't doing, during any of this time. In another game, same thing with Rome. Can only be some type of game bug, as again, there is no reasonable game-related excuse why one civ should take 50 times longer to finish it's turn than all the rest of them are, repeatedly.

i dont want to play the game with quick movements and combat either

It would make things faster, but civ 5 is still a slow game. I'd just play on smaller maps until you're ready for a full computer upgrade.

I think the #1 issue is that the AI never fortifies units at full hp, so they shuffle back and forth for no reason every turn.

* At least turn off show AI moves, so you can watch animations on your turn but not theirs.

Late in the game, Japan just started taking forever to process their turn.

I see this frequently with Barbarians, even late in the game when the only Barbarians left are scattered on a few ice floes. That leads me to believe the civ that the game appears to be processing is not necessarily relevant to what the AI is actually doing. So, sometimes I suspect the AI is faking it while it tries to catch up.

Using quick movement made a massive improvement for me in my huge marathon games. I have not turned on quick combat, but I suspect that this would make the turns even faster.

Plus, using age in a parts/hardware discussion means nothing.

The rig I use to play on will be 3 years old in December. Yet I play everything on ultra high and have yet to see a turn take more than 30 seconds to load...ever.

It isn't about an arbitrary age of a part, it is how those parts are configured and how the machine is built.

So you want to play on large maps with many civs without compromising and you want turns to take 2 seconds on your obsolete hardware. Sorry, but you can't have the cake and eat it too.

Sent from my Nexus 7

So you want to play on large maps with many civs without compromising and you want turns to take 2 seconds on your obsolete hardware. Sorry, but you can't have the cake and eat it too.

Sent from my Nexus 7

This. You're playing with the absolute most taxing settings and don't want to do anything (like quick movement/combat) to help remedy the situation. You simply can't do that and expect to have good turn times on an outdated computer.

To answer your question, OP, yes, a new processor would help tremendously. The newest Intel processors aren't a big improvement, so I'd recommend Ivy Bridge (the 3000 series) to save some money.

The 4000 series is similarly priced, has better TDP (needs less electricity) and has a slight performance boost. Imo, i5 4570 is the best choice available atm for a home desktop. Don't expect miracles, though. I have a i5 3550 @4GHz and turn times past industrial era, on large maps and high difficulty levels often take over 2 minutes.

Top Bottom