[Feedback needed] AND2 Checker: Easy installation and update v0.3

dbkblk

Emperor
AND2 Checker : Install or update your game easily !

>> Download latest version <<

Description
Here is an executable that will ease the installation and maintenance of the mod. No need for external tools to install or update anymore !
Features:
- Install / update the mod
- Install / update / remove addons easily
- Launch the game
- Check for mod, launcher and addons update automatically
- See changelog since your last update or for the last 10 updates
- Shortcuts to the main threads (team, bugfix, addons, etc.)
- Repair your installation
- Options: Change interface color, activate formations, set the game to start automatically with the mod
- Automatically clear the cache folder and the gameoptions setting on update

Installation instructions
- Download the installer (link at the top of the page)
- Execute the installation.
- Choose to start the launcher directly and to make a shortcut at the end.
- Just use your start menu or desktop shortcut to launch the mod.
- If the mod has not been downloaded, it will ask you to do it. Just make coffee and wait for the download to finish :)
- Follow the instructions.

Changelog

See changelog here

Hi !

While thinking about git, i came to an idea. TADAM !

Here is a script that make the installation and the update of the mod REALLY THAT EASY ! This is pretty basic, but it get the job done on my PC. Please test it and tell me if it works.

The step to install (or update the mod if you have it already):
- Download the installation pack: Here
- Unzip the folder into My Document\My Games\Beyond the sword\Mods
- Now, go into the newly created Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn folder and execute:
AND2_Installation.bat -> Only the first time, it will begin the download and installation of the mod
AND2_CheckForUpdate.bat -> To update the mod later if it is already installed.

NOTE : You can use it on an already setup installation :)

With these scripts, no need for TortoiseSVN or whatever. No need for nightly builds neither ;). You just unzip and launch.
The idea is pretty basic, but i will improve it. The nice part is that we can include it later directly into the repo.

Right now I don't have time and a proper setup to try it, but as soon as I can, I'll try it.

Ok. The drawback of this method is that it doesn't use a compressed folder.
I'm thinking about downloading a base compressed installation from an external dependency then check for update.

I'm developping a simple executable to make this more properly but... as i am still learning C++, that might be a five star program :D

Before falling asleep, here is an update with a working executable:
AND2 Checker v0.2

Updated to v0.3.

This is pretty cool. Could you upload the source code for the executable somewhere? Possibly Github?

I would love to see how it works. I won't judge the code. I promise! ;)

I would love to see how it works. I won't judge the code. I promise! ;)

Hi ! My code is published here : https://github.com/dbkblk/and2_checker
Right now there is garbage part of the code. This is my very first program (except exercices i did of course). I know that the command system() isn't really recommended. I'll improve that later !

You're free to suggest enhancements :)

Updated to v0.4

Updated to v0.5
Add a GUI with the following features:

Launch the game
Check for update
Clean up the mod installation
Restore previous update
Select a previous revision
Change game interface color
Set the game to start automatically with the mod
Download link

Updated to v0.5
Add a GUI with the following features:

Launch the game
Check for update
Clean up the mod installation
Restore previous update
Select a previous revision
Change game interface color
Set the game to start automatically with the mod
Download link

I downloaded and ran the new version, but I receive error messages about a missing QT library (I assume that is the framework you are using for the GUI). Might you have forgotten one? Or failed to link it correctly?

Error Message:
This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "windows".

Error Message:
This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "windows".

Yes, i use QT. I certainly forgot to add a DLL. I'll look into that.

That should be fixed, download the file again (named 0.5.1 now).

Works, looks nice. Now I think the last thing that really needs to happen would be an installer that finds the user's civ install and sets the updater up for them, and adds a shortcut to the desktop.

Ok i'll add that to my todo list. I already cooked up an auto-updater for the launcher, and update detection for the mod. I also want to integrate the svn console to a textbox on a launcher (i almost manage to do it :D), show the update changelog and integrate an easy installation routine for the addons (Mega Civ Pack and More Music).
Mega Civ Pack is on Github, so it will be a nice test for the main workflow ;)

I put the installer as my next task !

Here is an update v0.6:
- AND Checker is now an installer for the mod. It automatically install the launcher, can create shortcut to the desktop and the start menu, can start the launcher straight after installation, and create a uninstallation file (no registry settings written, i don't think it need that).
- The launcher automatically check for update of himself, and for the mod.
- If a mod update is available, the "Check for update" button become yellow with "Update available !"
- It detect if there is a problem in the installation (wrong path).

NOTA: There might be a small latence when starting the launcher. This is due to the update checking. I'll fix that sooner or later !

When installing a new rev. will it also delete the .ini file and the cash? :D

What ini file are you talking about ?

ATM, i will not generate cash :D ...but yes, it will clean up the cache folder on update !

What ini file are you talking about ?

ATM, i will not generate cash :D ...but yes, it will clean up the cache folder on update !

Ini file and cash of the game I was talking about which is necessary when updating to a new rev. to run properly.
But I wasn't curius :)

Ini file and cash of the game I was talking about which is necessary when updating to a new rev. to run properly.
But I wasn't curius :)

Civilization.ini and .bak, sometimes they cause troubles when changing revision.

I was joking because you are writing "cash" (=money) instead of cache !

45°38'N-13°47'E said:
Civilization.ini and .bak, sometimes they cause troubles when changing revision.

Is there any specific parameter that cause problem or is it the global file ?

I can make a routine to:
- Save the interesting values to a temp file
- Delete *.ini and *.bak files
- Restore the interesting values a fresh .ini

It's quite easy to do !

Top Bottom