"Great War" units.

qartar

Chieftain
Can somebody explain the purpose of the "Great War" units? It seems to me they're only purpose is to draw out the industrial/modern era which seems like a unnecessary and personally motivated decision by the developers (ie. "I like the modern era so I'm going to put more of it into G&K"). From a historical standpoint the decision seems almost asinine; the differences between the great war versions of infantry, fighters, bombers, and machine guns are all qualitative, especially the infantry, which were essentially the same between WWI and WWII, the most significant difference being tactics. And the landship is just a joke.

Well it was mostly done to stretch the final eras of the game I reckon and to add some historically abstracted semi-accuracy (I like how this forum forces me to create new phrases).

Historically abstracted semi-accuracy like a WWI "Landship" that sprints around the map at the same speed as cavalry?

Historically abstracted semi-accuracy like a WWI "Landship" that sprints around the map at the same speed as cavalry?

Landship: Cost 350 Production; Strength 60, Movement 4.
Has the "Can Move After Attacking" and "No Defensive Terrain Bonuses" promotions. Also has the "Stuck in the Mud" and "Too-Weak Engine" promotions, each of which results in a 33% chance of all movement points being used up at the beginning of the turn. Also has the "Firepower? What Firepower?" promotion, which grants a 33% chance each turn that the strength of the Landship will drop to 10.

I like it quite a bit. No one (I hope) will argue that as technology developed more rapidly, the game had to slow down and have a turn represent fewer years. As it was, going back to at least Civ3, I always found the jump from cavalry to tanks to be way too drastic, indeed, the jump between fighters/bombers to no air force at all nearly as drastic.

I like having these early units in there that are a bonus, but not the drastic game changer that their later variants were (tanks, bombers, etc.). Remember, when they first appeared in real life, they weren't much more than a novelty, whose practicality in warfare would take many years (and several wars) to be realized.

WW 1 Bombers are game changers in CIV, while in WWI bombers were not really (at all?) important.
That is the least historically accurate unit imho.

Personally I love WWI units. They add a nice flavor to the game, and a good transition between 18-19th century units (fusiliers) and atomic units (infantry). And I love the british style helmets. Also, the triplanes and WWI bomber show how the art of war changed by the 20th century (It always annoyed me in vanilla when once flight discovered, hop! you had messerchmit-fighters and lancaster-bombers)

Exactly!

WW 1 Bombers are game changers in CIV, while in WWI bombers were not really (at all?) important.
That is the least historically accurate unit imho.

OFC they were important, they hadn't established enough production centers and the 'assembly line' fabrication was something that got developed during the interim between the great wars. Planes started to get build up in numbers during the war (which in effect was their testing ground) If anything aircraft and tanks completely revolutionized warfare by their mere introduction. Flack tracks were mostly developed after the first war in an attempt at a stop gap to the introduction of planes. So did the tank destroyers.

Top Bottom