Has anyone figured out how to kill that horrible notification sound effect?

steveg700

Deity
I find that while I enjoy playing with the sound on in general, that shrill sound that plays every time a notification occurs is starting to give me a headache. You guys know the one I'm talking about? The one that plays whenever a unit needs orders, or you're trespassing in city-state territory, or a city-state has a quest, and so on. It can wind up playing several times in a row, and it's sort of like a dog whistle for humans. Hopefully, somebody got sick of it long before I did and figured a way to replace the .wav file or something.

You might could turn one of the audio things down, whichever one that noise is considered to be in.But that might cause other things to go away too.

Back when I used to play City of Heroes, there were all kinds of annoying sounds. Some determined folks eventually tracked down the offending audio files, and then either swapped them out for another sound or just a blank audio file. Was hoping someone had done that here.

But yes, I currently just have the slider pulled down. I'd love to swap out the ear-piercing "EEENEEENEENEEE" for the simple and elegant "KLONK" you get when you discover a natural wonder.

I feel for you OP, but lost my hope for stuff like that a long time ago. To top it off, hearing same and same and same blather from the AI leaders ("FOBERTZ!" said Bismarck. Again. And again) caused me to turn off all the sounds.

Yeah, much better ^^

Nowadays when I play Civ I'm playing to my own music, sometimes Taruna/Sideliner, sometimes other, anything I want - a bit of freedom is refreshing.

Try editing C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\assets\Sounds\XML\Audio2DScripts.xml

It looks like the AS2D tags for all of the interface notification sounds live there. You should be able to simply edit <iMaxVolume> and <iMinVolume> to 0 for those sounds which offend you. I would strongly advise against deleting or commenting out any entries in this file. Be sure to create a backup copy of the original file and put it in a safe place (Not the same directory) before you begin.

Attached is an edited version of the file I mentioned above. All the notification sounds are edited down to zero volume. I tested it in two games with G&K and it was trouble free. Unzip the file and follow the instructions below.

Copy or move your Sid Meier's Civilization Audio2DScripts.xml from its current location (Sid Meier's Civilization V\assets\Sounds\XML\Audio2DScripts.xml) and replace it with the attached.

NOTE: Please copy or move the original to a safe place, like your desktop, before replacing it. This file worked with my setup, but it may not work with yours.

Attachments

• Audio2DScripts.zip
    3.9 KB · Views: 177
Hey folks, old thread but I came here from google. Tried binhthuy71's files but it didn't work, used the same methods to find the correct sound. The sound is called SND_WORLD_RAY_OF_GOD. Here's an xml with it turned to 0.

Attachments

• Audio2DScripts.zip
    3.9 KB · Views: 214
Hey folks, old thread but I came here from google. Tried binhthuy71's files but it didn't work, used the same methods to find the correct sound. The sound is called SND_WORLD_RAY_OF_GOD. Here's an xml with it turned to 0.

I love you! I was SO close to stop playing simply because I count no longer take here that noise - I now image that it was hell sounds like! Except, I do not believe in such a place as Earth contains such greater evil.

THANK YOU!!!

The only sound I truly despise is when someone else builds a wonder. It sounds like all my past mistakes and failings compressed into one sound file, while the AI rubs its hands together for sniping Stonehenge 2 turns before I get it.

Hi guys, where exactly are interface sounds for vanilla game? I searched them with no success, I found all other sounds (expansion ones, civ music, environment sounds) but not these :/

And I mean not XML folders but actual audio - I want to know which sounds I wanna delete :p

The only sound I truly despise is when someone else builds a wonder. It sounds like all my past mistakes and failings compressed into one sound file, while the AI rubs its hands together for sniping Stonehenge 2 turns before I get it.

So true! Even 1 turn before you...

Entering Industrial era sound that blows up your speakers is even better.

I hate the sound you get when your unit gets killed, over and over- A unit died, it`s sad, I get it already! Ya just making it more depressing!

That's sort of like the flank attack from civilization 4 that keeps repeating when a mounted unit flanks your seige stack and keeps playing repeatedly until you end the turn.

Somewhat related to topic: Can someone help me disable the sound that comes with establishing a trade route? I've tried looking in the files mentioned above, but cant figure out where it is hidden.
Its BNW.

I adopted a dog yesterday, and every time he hears that sound he freaks out a bit, pretty weird :)

Moderator Action: Moved to Creation & Customization

Top Bottom