Making war

stammis

Chieftain
So I ve been thinking about the diplomatic aspect of the game and it confuses me some times. I started a game has the Hunnic and as such I need to declare war on civs early in the game because that is when I have the best advatage. I use a Large earth map and added 30 civs so it is a little bit crowded but I like it, anyway I took one city from turkey and shortly after another city from Russia, I stoped expanding becasue I didnt want to get too much attention towards me yet, however that failed miserably...

I am currently at war with everyone, though they make peace eventually they declear war again after they have regained strength, is it even feasible to make war before the renaissance?

Ps: Does the hatred towards me add when I destroy a city or capture a city even though they declared war on me first?

Ps: Does the hatred towards me add when I destroy a city or capture a city even though they declared war on me first?
Yes, it does. It doesn't matter who started the war. If you take a city, they'll hate you for it.

Early war is feasable, but probably less so with the settings you chose.
I think with the Huns you need to capture everyone around you, and kill them off entirely before the rest of the world knows what you're doing. If the AI haven't met you yet, they can't get angry about your warmongering.

I dont know if that is entierly true, Ive been denounced in the turn after I meet a new civ.

In most cases archers, composite bows and xbows are more than enough to deal with cities of their era.i.e pre Renaissance. Issues mainly come with cities surrounded by forest/jungles.
I haven't played the huns really yet still but battering rams, especially when they first become available combined with some ranged units should make short work of most cities.

The biggest hold up to early wars is usually dealing with the very limited happiness you tend to have in the beginning and establishing trade routes for much needed gold as your prime target is often your best trade route target also. Then there is the new warmonger penalty system whivh basically give you a huge warmonger hit very early as in simple terms it is based on the number of cities a civ has and the number in the game with it being a higher penalty the lower the number of cities for both cases so early on you will generally get a much higher penalty because civs won't have had chance to build so many cities as later on.

If you go to war with someone you need to cripple them before declaring peace if you don't want them to just attack you again in the future which tends to mean taking their best cities even if you simply burn them.
Now that is obviously a snag considering what i said earlier about the warmonger penalties and it also depends if you have the military, favourable terrain and spare happiness to take cities so sometimes the best option is just to stay at war and farm them for xp for your units and gold by pillaging their improvements.
You can then take their cities when the situation is more favourable and don't have to be on constant guard for another attack.i.e. you keep the initiative...knock them down, keep them down and control what they can do while using them for your advantage.
When you are able to take them down you also don't have to DoW them yourself and take more of a warmonger penalty from that.

As for getting denounced the turn i meet someone it usually has to do with factors outside of your warring past.e.g. you have too many cities, they see you as a threat because of your military, you have allied a CS they want etc or simply because some AI's designed to be seem stroppy.

I dont know if that is entierly true, Ive been denounced in the turn after I meet a new civ.

You were probably still at war with someone at that point.
I'm pretty sure you will only get the warmonger penalty when Civs know you and your enemy.

If you left any of the civs you attacked alive, then they will tell other civs they meet/know about you. If they then meet you, and Russia tells them about you, they might indeed denounce you. If, however, you fully exterminate Russia before you meet anyone else, nobody will care.

If you left any of the civs you attacked alive, then they will tell other civs they meet/know about you. If they then meet you, and Russia tells them about you, they might indeed denounce you. If, however, you fully exterminate Russia before you meet anyone else, nobody will care.

Pretty sure the first half of this is not true

I think you mean Shaka

T6: Met Shaka
T8: Denounced by Shaka
T12: DoW by Shaka

Damn you Shaka!!!

Lol, I love Shaka. He was kinda creepy until I played him and realized the huge incentive he has to warmonger. Now I don't blame him and he's funny. :p

Marbozir mentioned on one of his Let's play videos that eliminating a civ gives you no extra warmonger penalty in BNW. Is this so? He says you only get a warmonger penalty for capturing cities. However, eliminating the civ gives you no extra penalty. This he says has been changed from G&K.

I think you mean Shaka

T6: Met Shaka
T8: Denounced by Shaka
T12: DoW by Shaka

Damn you Shaka!!!
I have not met the man in a game yet. Hopefully the day comes soon, it's nice to meet a fellow warmonger face to face. :)

Shaka always asks if I want his eldest son when trying to trade with him.....I don't need another mouth to feed ... Just make the damn trade. :)

Top Bottom