random resources

dalgo

Emperor
I liked the western hemisphere map so much that I started a second game and was astonished to find all the special resources in the same places. The indian villages are randomised, why not the resources? This seriously cuts down the replay factor. Is it the same with other maps?

I think that each existing resource should have a complimentary resource that goes along with it, I.E., Cigars and Coffee, Cloth and Dye, etc. Complimentary resources drive each others prices up, so say, for every 3 gold that Dye falls, Cloth rises 1. At the start of each game, all the resources will be hidden. You have to learn from the natives what resources are where, and what they are good for. After you establish your colony, you will be pushing to try and find, then obtain whatever resource compliments the one you started with.

Any premade map will have ressources fixed in place.
There might be mods (back in Civ) adressing this, but i am not aware of any.

In the original game the special resources were random and that made the maps much more interesting. You usually designed your colony sites around the resources so that would change from game to game. It just seems strange to me that they would make the indian villages random but not the special resources.

Indeed, they should have fixed the natives villages spawning on scenarios as well.

PatchMod addresses this. In the vanilla game it doesn't randomise bonus goods, goody huts or start locations.

In PatchMod, if you define plot(0,0) as grass you will get all of those randomised (PatchMod - Western Hemi map).

Top Bottom