Colonization Mod in Civ IV?

nxo1

Chieftain
Anyone remember an old game by Sid named Colonization? In one of the recent screens on gamespot, there was one with american revolutionary soldiers marching toward Boston which was British. The Americans had the Betsy Ross Flag and were dressed as 18th Century infantry. Does this mean there is a Colonization senario in Civ IV?

Nope, that's Age of empires 3, by Microsoft, which reminds a bit of Colonization. If your have the warmachine it requires to run, try the demo(s), it's a quite nice game actually.

^ AOEIII is nothing like Colonization, the only thing they have in common is the setting. Colonization was a way better and more complex game. (AOEIII sucks IMO)
I doubt we could mod Civ4 extensively enough to mirror the Colonization game though, that would require the ability to buy and sell resources and manufactured goods to Europe, require the player to manufacture or buy guns to make soldiers, among other things.
It was a great game, and I really hope they make a sequel. (maybe they could make it an expansion of Civ4 :))

After your post, I thought I had been mistaken. I rechecked the screen listings on Gamespot for Civ IV,and there it was, under the screens released on Oct. 6.

nxo1 said:
Anyone remember an old game by Sid named Colonization? In one of the recent screens on gamespot, there was one with american revolutionary soldiers marching toward Boston which was British. The Americans had the Betsy Ross Flag and were dressed as 18th Century infantry. Does this mean there is a Colonization senario in Civ IV?

There is a Revolutionary War scenario being released with the game. This really is not anything like the idea of Colonization (where the Revolutionary war from whatever your home power was was only one part of the game.) Still, I have fond memories of that game and hope a sequel will be made some day. If someone could come up with a Colonization-esque mod, I would be eager to play it.

I love the good old Colonization, it's second only to Civ IMHO. The only big, unaceptable defect was the fact that it didn't have the Portuguese as one of the available colonial powers!

Anyway, in Civ 3 Conquests there's a scenario that resembles Colonization but it dosen't actually feels like it. As a civ mod it really feels more like Civ than Col.

I do hope Firaxis will come up with Colonization II now that they finished CivIV. I'm sure someone will make a mod for Civ IV that resembles Colonization, but I think it will something like the scenario in Civ3 Conquests, i.e. not as good as a real Colonization sequel deserves to be.

Top Bottom