Nonviolent Gandhi: A Monarch game without military units

Hi,

Tidiazuron said:
I really like the screens of new founded religion. Is that a MOD?
I'm not quite sure what you mean exactly? Every time you found a religion, a short cut-scene gets displayed for that religion, which I took a screenshot of (and which I have cropped afterwards). I don't use any mods in my games.

-Kylearan

I think you should try another one with this setup.
1, have some other civs who starts with mysticism. Then you won't get all three early religions.
2, have some civs with the aggressive trait. In my experience no matter what the relation they'll attack me. But you might steer them to attack someone else. I don't know if this is possible.

Great game. I had had a go at this on Prince and got up to the UN but got beaten in the election. I think Victoria who beat me had George W counting the votes. Dona Nobis Pacem

I also tried this in Prince...with Asoka, on continents

Got beaten by Huayana in UN because I foolishly declared war on Saladin v v far away

But reloaded, and won. Here are some screenshots

and the replay of the game...

and four turns before the game ends..

Also the most fun I have had playing a Civ4 game...;)

Attachments

• All mine!!0000.JPG
    All mine!!0000.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 356
  • No units0000.JPG
    No units0000.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 279
  • Alok_AD-1920_13.Civ4Replay
    241.7 KB · Views: 89
Kylearean? With no soldiers? :wow: :joke: The world must be coming to an end! :joke:

I'd better check this out! :old: :yup:

Very cool game, but I am confused as to how both Russian leaders played in the same game?

Well done!
I played a game with the same variant rules in Civ III, though it was on a lower difficulty setting, and I had to cheat and use a single spearman because of a barbarian coming out of a goody hut and heading towards my cities. But back in III it was generally much easier to be at peace with everyone.

any AI would decide to attack me, I planned to do the same here... I would slow them down by throwing numerous fast workers into their way
and
I was so enthralled with Cathy's beauty, I nearly suffered a heart attack when Victoria's ugly face showed up next
those two quote's just made me laugh, great game i liked the way the time was short. when people started getting free religion i would of spread the other religions to get more shrine income. you could of made nearly 240 gold from shrine's alone.

Unbelievable.

I can't believe that you can sidestep that much, give in that much, and still win.

But apparently you managed...

I'm surprised that you didn't get a lot of negative points from the "You have traded with our worst enemies!" and "You refused to stop trading with our worst enemies!" penalties...

nice story lol it must have been hard trying to get along with all the AI's

That's amazing, I sent the story to my grandma.

She alwasy plays with morals. She never attacks first, and never 'whips' anything out of her citizens. I think she is going to try the same thing.

I was so inspired by this thread, that I registered at this forum, instead of remaining a vile lurker!

Now I'm trying the same thing, only giving myself some different advantages and disadvantages.

Using One City Challenge (and I've named my one city "The Holy Land" ;P) and Islands to completely isolate myself. This could be extremely beneficial, or could severely screw me by your religious estimates.

I've had the good fortune to manage to secure the founding of every religion. (With Christianity in 875 BC...I always find it amusing when Christianity is founded Before Christ...) Presently, I am Buddhist with a Temple and Monastery, but am considering doing the same with all the other religions before finally choosing one to begin religious colonisation at will.

At the moment I only have two units total, these being the Warrior and the worker. I've also got Great Prophets QUITE often, allowing me to jump techs sporadically (a very nice thing!).

One question about the rules of the "no military units". If I have the opportunity to upgrade the one warrior I have, am I allowed? It's not BUILDING a military unit, in theory...just checking before I do it. I don't want to end up surviving through a tainted victory!

~ Scalfaro

Hi,

Scalfaro said:
I was so inspired by this thread, that I registered at this forum, instead of remaining a vile lurker!
Welcome! :)

Using One City Challenge
Actually, this will probably make the game much easier to survive, as you won't have any empty cities. Building the U.N. or the Spaceship might become trickier, but winning a cultural victory shouldn't be a problem.

One question about the rules of the "no military units".
There are no rules - this is completely up to you, and what you enjoy most. :) Personally, I did not upgrade that one warrior, as I did not want to have anything to do with military, at all.

Have fun!

-Kylearan

As far as that game went, I was defeated, but just barely. I just ran out of time before the last UN vote would've won me the game. Bad luck, I suppose.

At any rate, I feel I must thank you for the idea Kylearan, as it was one of the most fun and intense games of Civ I've ever played. Every sound effect that marked a major event made my heart skip a beat, as I wondered if I'd been beaten to a religion or to an important wonder. I know it came from a suggestion on another board, but your thread gave me a wonder of game, one I whole-heartedly intend to try again. So...thanks! :goodjob:

~ Scalfaro

Many thanks Kylearan - that was a great write up and a fantastic idea!

I just had to try this myself - even though I'd uninstalled the game in an attempt to get my life back(!) Anyway, I tried on a lower difficulty (warlord) and actually won quite easily. Stupidly I forgot to switch off barbs so I had to rush and chop settlers to clear the fog quickly. I wasn't on a pangea so I did allow myself the luxury of 2 caravels to meet other Civs and circumnavigate the globe and 1 galleon - which was only used to carry missionaries and one explorer :)

Wow - how much more can you get done buildings-wise when you're not churning out all those military units?! I built one wonder after another, founded all 7 religions, all with shrines and towards the end of the game (cultural victory) London fell under Ghandi's cultural might. (I didn't think you could lose your capital to a cultural flip? Or maybe the AI had switched their capital before this happened.) At this point I did inherit 2 cavalry(!) who remained on ceremonial duties only, until game end. :)

Great stuff - the most enjoybale Civ game I've ever played - thanks for the inspiration!

Like - er - peace man .... :lol:

Top Bottom