Luxuries Not Being Detected?

writethatdown

Chieftain
I've noticed that, at times, I'll connect a luxury (in my current game, tobacco) to my city, and it won't register. I won't get the message saying 'You've Provided (City) With Tobacco, Which Makes Your Citizens Happy), and it's not listed in my city's 'Luxuries' box.

It's right next to my city, too. Roaded and everything.

Has anyone else encountered this?

You will only get the "you have connected....etc" message the first time that you connect a luxury.

Bearing in mind that tobacco, which is specifically mentioned in the OP, is not a luxury. It gives a food bonus and commerce bonus if that space is worked by a citizen, but doesn't make anyone happy.

Joe

It doesn't even give a food bonus, just a commerce bonus.

With me it was wondering why bananas didn't make my people happier. :lol:

Yeah, I've done simular. When I first started playing I thought I needed to have the strategic/luxury resource inside my city's border. I was trying to make a colony to a lux that was inside my cultural borders, but not attached to any city. Couldn't understand why I couldn't make a colony.

Don't feel bad - I used to road to gold bonuses, because I thought I needed to to get the commerce bonus...

But building a road on a gold resource is actually a good idea, as you'll get +1 commerce from the tile. :)

In my early days I tried to build colonies inside my territory and was shouting at the screen that I didn't get the "build colony button". :smug: See, I beat you all with my noobness! (well, maybe except Turner :mischief:)

In my dad's first Civ 3 game, I was trying to explain to him about roads and resources and how a road has to be connected to a resource to take advantage of it (talking about luxuries and strategic of course). So the first resource he sees, naturally, is gold, and he wonders why connecting it doesn't seem to do anything.

Of course, that was back in 2001 when we were all new at Civ 3, the game itself had only been out for like a day. I actually thought colonies were useful and important.

Top Bottom