Hairy Suleiman and the Broken Game Feature. :(

Winth

Warlord
Hi.

Since I normally played Civilization IV on Play Now!, I've decided some wacky map for a spin. I borrowed rules form Flouzemaker threads - Small Map, 8 opponents (or was it 7? Damn, it's late...), Rocky, Permanent Alliances ON. The last feature made me loss the game. :(

That was also my second BTS game :p Ah, and it is on Prince, of course.

Istanbul was founded in a decent place. I just needed BW out of the gate to deforestate and upgrade the juicy tiles. With BW and mighty chopping, I soon built Ankara and Edirne. Both were very important.

Copper was just here, and since it was tight, I decided to rush. With chopping (man! Trees are really valuable!) axemen, I minimized Khmer Empire to a peanut size, but refused to conquer it because the capital was too well defended, and Khmer were already annoying the hell of me. Well, I grabbed a juicy city I renamed to "Grand Riverside" - it was also a fillar of the empire.

Ottomans were prospering very happily and I was a leader. I had very nice friends - Joao II, Charlemagne, Sitting Bull. But all of them became friggin' rat bastids. Oh, and there were also Zara Yaqob, Napoleon, Roosevelt, Suryavarman II.

And then Napoleon was up for easy pickings. It was brilliant moment of the game - Napoleon declared on Roosevelt, and suddenly the whole world declared at him at the same turn! :lol: Can you say, "Roosevelt with big pockets?" :D. Nevertheless, it was something like Austria, Prussia, and Russia conquered Poland in 1795 year - except that Napoleon didn't ever rose from ashes ;). I took Paris, Roosevelt - Orleans (soon to be mine!), and Zara took Lyons (also soon to be mine.). Well, Napoleon never wrote anything significant for France (he had a pitiful empire of 3-4 cities). He just snuffed it. He kicked the bucket. He was an EX-NAPOLEON!

Soon, also Zara became a kid calling for spanking. Declared on him and simply marched through. I got Lyons only, though - because of an unpleasant event...

Roosevelt decided to attack. I was really liek "WTF?" Then I thought, "Whew! I'm safe! Is THAT his force?" when I saw his powergraph - but he had a bigger fish in hand. A SoD of brand-new units advanced to defended with outdated units Grand Riverside!

I revolted to Nationhood ASAP. Roosevelt did very wrong - he didn't attack out of the gate when he had a chance, he pillaged improvements. That gave me time to draft new units, and upgrade old. And, being desperate, I thought something wacky. I renamed one GGeneral as Leonidas and attached him to Maceman in the city. "SPARTANS! TONIGHT WE DINE IN HELL!" ;).

Bravely bold Leonidas rode forth from Istanbul. He was not afraid to die, oh brave Leonidas. He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways, brave, brave, brave, brave Leonidas. He was not in the least bit scared to be mashed into a pulp, or to have his eyes gouged out, and his elbows broken. To have his kneecaps split, and his body burned away, and his limbs all hacked and mangled, brave Leonidas. His head smashed in and heart cut out, and his liver removed, and his bowels unplugged, and his nostrils raped and his bottom burned off and his penis...

Ekhem. Yes.

But the American Dad have been pillaging too much. I've just wiped out his SoD, reinforced. Then, the Gunpowder came. I am very pleased with new addition of extended tech tree - those musketmen did much of a bloody job! Especially when you consider they were Janissaries. Took Washington and New York by force. I had Communism by then, so I wanted to PA with Joao after the war. Vassalized Roosevelt. (Ah, and Leonidas lived! :])

Ended it, and what? Charlie and Joao signed a PA! :/ It lost me the game. I was not half as good as the runaway couple. But I tried my best...

Well, I thought - nothing lost. I just need a Defensive Pact with one, they are Friendly. They will sign up without blabbing. Boy how wrong I was! They were complete jacks! I was in their State Religion, I switched to their favourite civics as they pleased, I was giving them techs in a spite of good will, and what the hell is that?! If I could join to Joao/Charlemagne couple, we would conquer the world really easily. The whole game I tried to get good relations.

And then game seemed to plot against me. I had all those nasty random events. When I needed to boost relations - game gave away some of them. I lost improvements, cash - everything.

And then - at one point! - Native America guy and Ottoman lass wanted to get married. I scored a big boost with Sitting Bull. We were Friendly. Care for a Defensive Pact? No! "We just don't like you enough, just like those pompous jerks Joao II/Charlemagne! Even if we don't have any significant friends and we could use that pact!"! AAAAAAAAAARGH!

OK, I mean - what the hell is wrong with this game?! I gave in to demands of everyone of them. I was a good puppy, and I had even a "mutual military struggle" bonus with Joao! I hardly had any minus points (only from some war declarations, and they hardly mattered - all were Friendly!) I mean, what is it?! It is broken-as-hell!

Grumbling, I tried to win using an exploit. I switched for a moment to Christianity, to be voted in an Apostolic Palace Diplomatic Victory (it was around 1850's). Then I switched to Buddhism - and I still was up to be voted. But hey! Even if Zara was a total jack to Joao/Charlemagne (they were only his masters, but HELLOOOO!), they voted for him (and they were monsters). Sitting Bull maybe will vote for me at last? No. Only Roosevelt (who was kind of forced to do so). GAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

OK, time to climb for Space Race. But Joao/Charlemagne were of course competing - competing seriously, to make matters worse. I used a lot of Golden Ages in the late game just to have the spaceship a bit faster. But they did it faster than me anyway. For the friggin' long game, I get nothing, and the game just farts at my general direction - especially with Events Jinx. Yes. I'm dead. Officially. My men arrived at Alpha Centauri and were unpleasant with the fact that Portuguese/Holy Roman cosmonauts arrived there earlier.

Then I decided - I WILL WIN IT. Even if I cheat. Loaded the game. I kept in mind that I still have a horde of ICBMs. I spammed even more of them in Edirne. Before the end of the construction of their spaceship, I declared war at Joao (and Charlemagne, Suryavarman, Zara...). ENJOY THAT WIN! Boom! Buggers had SDI, but some nukes managed to arrive and scores went down a bit... :p But a fierce force of HRE/Portugal attacked me. I lost Ankara, Grand Riverside, Bursa - some of them I managed to get back. Sorry, Ankarans. In response, the alliance sent nukes after me. Your problem, Washington. I tried all I could to defend. Finished Engines and go for the stars (again)! Ah, and meanwhile, my empire lost their beloved heroes - Leonidas and Sun Tzu. :(

And... 3 turns to Victory... Yet again. I lost. I thought - I lost for good, nothing to show for that. Sucks to be Ottomans. No need to try that again.

I have a lot to say about that game. It started brilliantly, I thought that I will score another win. And then, the game simply PLOTTED against me. Even at the end, AI, who loved me (Joao, Charlie, Bull) said "We just don't like you enough" when I proposed pact. It just sucks, especially when I was constantly losing Towns to some whirlwinds and hurricanes. At the end, some civil revolts at Washington and Orleans were constantly destroying the improvements, delaying the ship. My empire could singlehandedly take out each one of them in a FAIR FIGHT, especially when I had that military spammer at Edirne - again, I'd won in a fair fight, not when all would PLOT against me! AND. EVERYTHING. BECAUSE. OF. BROKEN FEATURE!!!!! Curse the day when I X'ed that Permanent Alliances button!!

Huff... huff... huff. But... I at last learned. To grow those cities, I need much more food. And I didn't chop all those forests in time, my cities had a long delayed maturity. And I know now how to have a good military in SP.

Well, that's it. What do you think overall?

I enjoyed the story! Sucks that you lost, but them's the brakes! I agree that the ottomans are not the strongest civ.

It was a good writeup, I love reading these!

Next time, I recommend adding a few choice screenshots to your post, that help the reader visualize your empire. Also, breaking your story into clearly labeled sections with titles in bold (such as ancient age, classical age, etc.) makes the story much easier to read for the casual reader.

Good luck in your future civ endeavors!

Top Bottom