The new Improvement System in Wildmana (bye bye cottage spam)

I don’t understand the fractions of unhappiness. Does the computer round up and make 1.5 into 2 unhappy faces?

I didn't tried it, but it should work like 0.5 :health: of forest and 0.33 :yuck: of floodplains
1x1.5 :mad: makes 1 :mad: in the city,
2x1.5 :mad: makes 3 :mad: in the city.

I like the idea of reinforcing the medieval wilderness scenario (medieval folk were scared of anything wild and from the forest), instead of the sprawling supercity/towns everywhere. I never was fond of late game neo-modern feel. I currently do a little modding of the amount of time it takes to build improvements to slow the game down some. My personal modding goal is to be able to make a few big cities possible and the rest be small resource, farming and trading outposts. Yet i have no idea how to do such a thing.

Is the unhappiness modifier to make the cities grow slower or encourage fewer improvements?

Keep up the good ideas and work!

it is not just unhealthiness and unhappiness, in the current iteration there is improvement maintenance. basically you get a few improvement free per city (it is based on population) but if you go over that limit you have to pay maintenance which increases quite drastically if you ignore it.

Tedious amounts of planning required = bad!

Well, I for my part like landscape gardening and, therefore, I am looking forward to this feature of WM 9.0!

I did like the Alpha Centauri way of doing things, if you ever played that. Aside from the main/simple improvements (farm, mine, solar collector; every non-hill tile could be farmed AND have a mine or solar collector), there were "bigger" improvements as well. A Condensor altered rainfall patterns, basically making land around it more fertile (comparable to plains->grassland, I suppose); an Echelon Mirror made every solar collector on a tile adjacent to it have +1 "energy" (AC's equivalent of commerce) and some sort of supermine gave very high Minerals (production) and Energy (commerce) but no food.

And, I like this facet, too. It leads to even more need for planning! And, e.g., a mill does not make much sense, when there is nothing to mill, so it might make sense, if a mill gives bonus to nearby farms, etc.

Speaking of Alpha Centauri, I just tried the Planetfall mod, very excellent and highly recommend it. I was able to import in the sound files from the original and it makes for an excellent gaming experience. Good work Maniac, who has also joined The Ancient Mediterranean Civ5 DevTeam as well. :goodjob:

If you don't like improvement spam, use MoM model - there were no improvements there except roads and node melding, afaik.

If you want interesting and complex improvements - check alpha Centauri (original, not Planetfall). There were improvements that was changing surrounding improvements there. But not such noncense as -1.5 farms. If you really really want to do something like that, at least make penalty only for really "sad" types, like mines, and only when someone is actually working it. And only if you can teach AI how to handle it.

@tylor
the opening post is very much obsolete the current system works very different now. you can see the new system in the latest beta build or in the release version which is sceduled for today. sephi also wanted to write a lot of documentation for the release.

Top Bottom