Top Ten Tips for Wild Mana Civs

Switchblock

Kuriotate Scholar
Hey! I've been playing FFH2 for a while, but haven't studied it enough to realise every civs special abilities and strategies. I began reading the Top Ten Tips thread and suddenly alot of civs made sense and I could play them without just guessing what to do.

Since WildMana civs are so different than vanilla FFH2 civs, can we start a thread of tips for these ones, as well as a list of civs who's strategies remain the same?

to be honest the faction are not that much different from 'vanilla' ffh most have just a couple more unique buildings or units. however when 9.0 arrives nearly everything will change :D

tesb : I completly disagree with you.

many factions have a different mechanism or some more units than in base FFH ; this change the way you have to play them.
plus there are many new global mechanism (houses...etc) than have to be introduced into each faction's play. And depending on the faction you play, these mechanismes will orient your strategy in different ways.
Getting the hunter house as the malakim is not as interesting as getting them as elves or doviello sounds good. ...etc

well my post is of course entirely subjective, for one i have not played vanilla ffh for a long time and the transition for me was rather smooth given the fact that i switched to wildmana earlier.
i merely wanted to state that the changes from vanilla ffh to wildmana 8.x are much smaller then from ffh to wildmana 9.0, i think we can agree on that :)

Regarding the OP:
it would be best to describe which faction/gameplay you liked most in ffh so we can tell you the major changes and additions in wildmana to your particular favorites.

Well I wanted to know a little more about the Jotnar, the Austrin, and all these new leaders, I never heard about them until I actually installed WildMana. I do understand that 9.0 is coming out eventually though, and I assume how you play will be drasticly changed.

Well I wanted to know a little more about the Jotnar, the Austrin, and all these new leaders, I never heard about them until I actually installed WildMana. I do understand that 9.0 is coming out eventually though, and I assume how you play will be drasticly changed.

The Jotnar, Austrin and a couple of others have been imported in from some of the other FFH mod-mods, and also Tesb has created the Aristrakh. The best way to find out about them is to play them. ;o)

On that note, try playing the Scions without reading ahead in the 'pedia - just look things up as questions occur. Like "What are those black circles?", "What happened to all the food?" or "What the &#$(@ is that unit?" :)

On that note, try playing the Scions without reading ahead in the 'pedia - just look things up as questions occur. Like "What are those black circles?", "What happened to all the food?" or "What the &#$(@ is that unit?" :)
Oh, I actualy tried it.
After about 100 turns it ended in my nervous breakdown... and deleting savegame :blush: (but I do not remember in what modmod was that... I was really anoyed by Alcinus and other things that I do not expect)

Before playing for the secon time, I read everything about Scions I could find in Pedia and at forums...

That would be slightly easier in RifE; UU/UBs are highlighted in the techtree with a star icon.

Would be a good thing to import to WM, really, as it does this for ALL unique items when playing a civ. Helps make tech choices when you have no idea how to play them. :lol:

That would be slightly easier in RifE; UU/UBs are highlighted in the techtree with a star icon.

Would be a good thing to import to WM, really, as it does this for ALL unique items when playing a civ. Helps make tech choices when you have no idea how to play them. :lol:

that's true, that would be nice. When testing f. e. the Aristrakh I always forget how different their tech tree is... therefore valks suggestion would be especially nice for new players... and WM 9.0 will have a lot of "new players" since it will be very different from actual WM.

I feel that would be nice and helpful, but still not as helpful as it could be, I think I will just have to wait it out until 9.0, since everyone seems to be beta testing that.

When looking at the civilopedia don't forget to scroll to the bottom for wildmana concepts or wildmana guide or something. There are a lot of descriptions of the new or heavily modified civs in that section.

I feel that would be nice and helpful, but still not as helpful as it could be, I think I will just have to wait it out until 9.0, since everyone seems to be beta testing that.

Why wait? The current version is a ton of fun and the best of the ffhs in my opinion.

Tip 1: I am fixated on researching Hunting as quickly as possibly. Hunters are good military units and you can delay researching other military techs for a while until tougher beasts start showing up. I try to capture as many animals as I can to build the Grand Menagerie and animal cages in my cities for the culture and happiness. Other captured animals like griffons, giant lizards and giant spiders make good suicide troops to soften up invading barbarian units before sending in your hunters (especially when attacking goblin archers which tend to stick to the trees and hills and if you have ranged combat on, they will stay outside of your city forever attacking you each turn). Captured griffons are also good for flying along the coast and exploring sunken ships. Captured giant spiders can invade the AI territory and endlessly pick off workers (and the occasional great merchant that wanders by). I have been using giant spiders to eat other animals and barbarians until they turn level 6 (and they gain experience quickly and safely, being seen by only goblins and other giant spiders), and then send them back to a city to build an Adventurer’s Guild. When exploring ruins, cairns, and goblins lairs, cross your fingers and hope to stir up a scorpion’s nest. A captured scorpion can be used to poison your hunter’s weapons, giving them +1 poison strength (try to stack as many hunters in the same hex as you can before using the captured scorpion).

Tip 1A: If you are lucky enough to get the Flesh Golem event, use captured animals to improve your golem ... a griffon to allow it to fly, a giant spider to give it hidden nationality, a gorilla to give it Taunt, a scout or hunter with subdue animal to allow it to capture animals, and use other animals that have gained experience to give it combat promotions.

@OP, I agree with you that more documentation makes learning a new civ easier. On the other hand, i really like to explore a civ myself and work out a strategy of my own. Only on radically different civ's (like scions) extra docs are really needed.

To give some tips here (without turning it into a strategy tread), I only know the Austrin well of the civ's you name.

There are a few different strategies, but they benefit from the same tips.

tip 1: chose the religion of you like. FoL, RoK and Emp all go very well with Austrin.
tip 2: chose techs that coincide with your religion. If you go FoL, by all means get hunting. But when going RoK, get Cartography first, then mining asap.
tip 3: Get the special religious tech asap. Why? well besides a very good civic you also get a Tier 2 priest.
tip 4: Almost all heroes, all arcane, all melee and archers can ride pegasi. Mount up! (you need a Tier 2 priest or mage to be able to cast "summon pegasus")
tip 5: with an early hero, getting Form of the titans is very doable. With Deidra who is Charismatic and can get the organized trait (command posts), you start with units who already have 2 promo's and in the case of adepts get to mages very quickly! What ever strategy you like, the world is at your feet :)

Hope it helps!

Top Bottom