Civilopedia 5 online

Great stuff. Do you mind posting your script? I think this could be quite useful for modders, too. They could easily create an online civilopedia for their mod

please buy Babylon for (us).
because you have the power to make the civilopedia complete!
its 5$ i think on steam. (correct me if i am wrong)
i come from holland so we have other prices.

This really is an impressive website -- it deserves to have Babylon, especially since getting that extra content only costs $5.

Look at it like getting Mongols and Babylon for $2.50 each, only if you back out of that deal they give you Mongols anyway for free, just cause they like you so much.

Found a few errors reading the Civilopedia just now:

1. On the Robotics page, the "[NEWLINE " text in its historical info should be, well, an empty new line.
2. On the Monastery page, in its game info, the text "[ICON_RES_INCENSE] Incense" and "[ICON_RES_WINE] Wine" appear instead of their actual icons.
3. The page on Mint also has the same issue as above.
4. The page on Archaeology has the icons displayed properly but with the redundant text "Culture".

Not sure if these are caused by your script or actual errors in the in-game Civilopedia. I'm too lazy to spend 3 minutes to start a game and check. :p

Come to think of it I only really open the Civilopedia to read historical info instead of checking on game mechanics as I play, so I guess I'll never use the in-game one now that we have your superior CPU/GPU/eyesight*/environment-friendly version ;)

* Being a website I can read it in bed on my TV with the text at a decent size. :D

I wrote a script that parses the game's database and generates html files. And I made a couple of small mistakes in the script. But now everything is fixed. If you find anything any more errors, I would appreciate

Just some small tehnical questions on this.
What kind of script are you talking about? Don't we have php for that?
I thought the obvious solution for this would be reading directly from the game database with php (this way avoiding problems when the game updates).
You're saying that the site is just html, jscript and images?

I thought the obvious solution for this would be reading directly from the game database with php (this way avoiding problems when the game updates).

Yes, it is just html, jscript and images. But these files generated by python script which reads database. And after all files is generated, I upload them to the server.

On the other hand, html can be read offline, without needing a server. This is an advantage in my opinion, and re-generating the pages when the game updates shouldn't really take long.

One small "request" if that's any feasible or somehow relevant in your mind, Sterkhov.

Your script images extraction routine pulls out "empties" and saves them in the appropriate Icons folder for later use. But, they aren't actually necessary by the HTML(s) rendering slots.
I didn't have time to check what the exact amount of extra files (from a pool of 3500+!) & bytes (15MBs here, 10 MBs there!) are - it may matter that streamlined content would somehow load faster online though & more importantly, reduce your bandwidth usage uploading ratios.
RU_sites have a knack for lagging, at times. ;)

impeccable work!

On the other hand, html can be read offline, without needing a server. This is an advantage in my opinion, and re-generating the pages when the game updates shouldn't really take long.

He wouldn't be needing one, as SQLite is designed to work offline. From a performance perspective his solution is cleaner though, as he avoids unnecessary queries.

found an error: longbowman's range is listed as 2 instead of 3

It's the same in the in-game civilopedia, it has a promotion that increases the range, which is not included in the general unit stats.

Is it just me or does Stonehenge (+ Notre-Dame & Eiffel Tower) still lack a formal "game-Info" box in both the usual ingame & Sterkhov's online Civilopedias?
Tiny detail and yet i'd love to see *More* data added; for example, what Units can be created with Iron, Oil, Aluminium & Uranium. We know Coal is needed by factories but the Civilopedia doesn't provide such direct info.
Might as well fully enhance that indispensable version with some essential elements, wouldn't you agree?

Top Bottom