Do you people like to keep a clean rep all the way through or....

sabo

My Ancestors were Vikings
When your down to a few civs left and rep really doesn't matter anymore do you then start RoP raping, and Nuking, and general "backstabbing" ?

:lol:

I always try to have a good reputation with the other Civs. At least until I've got the UN... :D

I try to be as isolationist as possible. I'll trade tech and lux, but I don't like MPPs or RoPs. I'll nuke the AI if I think I can get away with it, and usually I can. Of course, by the time I lob my first nuke at you, I've got a dozen more waiting. . . .

My rep usually goes to the tank anyway. . . I haven't figured that out yet. I'm guessing I'm not is as much contact with the AI as others, and I understand (but haven't confirmed) that not talking to the AI every couple of turns sends them to Annoyed, then furious.

i try not to break treatings etc.. but if I know the other civ is isolationist, they shouldn't trust me ..

If you aren't giving them RoPs and MPPs and multi-turn trade deals they will start to hate you after a while even if you keep your nose clean. Treat them like a friend and they will reciprocate (at least till they backstab you or vice versa).

I do that sometimes, even at the beginning of the game. :) But technically not really backstabbing; more of simply mowing down the AI and taking over its land for my FP zone, w/o much of a warning.

But generally I am not bothered about keeping my rep clean. If there's something in it for me, I'll do it. :D Esp since the AI won't bother too, with clean reps.

But when playing against humans, now that's another story... Esp fr it can carry fr game to game...

yep there is nothing wrong with declaring war, just make sure you don't have any RoP's or units in their country before you do

I never sneak attack, or dishonor a Mutual Protection pact or a Military Alliance. I never use nukes, although I always build an impressive arsenal of ICBMs towards the end of the game (my final city improvement.) Having a really big nuclear arsenal and SDI is sweet.

To avoid being ostracized as an isolationist (and to gain the tangible trade benefits) I am liberal about granting RoP and trading maps. I am willing to negotiate luxury or even resource trades w/ unfavorable terms, especially if I can gain technology as a result. Acquiring luxuries for your Civ is vital, almost as important as resources.

I try to stay on excellent terms w/ everyone, but I avoid mutual protection pacts or military alliances unless it fits in with my plans for conquest. In Monarch level games the AI often beats you to the UN -- diplomacy is part of a healthy strategy for self-defense.

What is the point of ending the game (besides UN victory) with a clean reputation?

Since AI allows me to default on one loan and do one ROP rape per game, I will do it if the benefits outweigh the consequences.

I almost never have a clean rep. When i play on regent i break right of passages by declaring war and other cheap things like trading a luxery for a lump sum and then declaring war so only i get the benefits. However this strategy i only did in single player, in MP i hardly, if ever, do this.

Too often, the benefits do outweigh the consequences. In this month's GOTM, while I was still in the ancient era I broke all sorts of treaties. Peace treaty and ROP to attack the enemy on my continent and deny them iron. Signed peace with them (again) and got them into an alliance against another civ- broke that treaty, too by attacking my 'ally'. Broken trade deals. You name it, I broke it. When I had the continent to myself, nothing was stopping me. Every civ in the game did find out about my reputation. Deity level.
So I spent the entire middle ages-industrial age-modern era with a 'horrible' rep.
Oh, and I won by UN :rolleyes:

Originally posted by DaveMcW
What is the point of ending the game (besides UN victory) with a clean reputation?

Since AI allows me to default on one loan and do one ROP rape per game, I will do it if the benefits outweigh the consequences.

News Flash!

2059 AD
Statues of former tyrant torn-down. Oppression ends. The people rejoice.

In other news: Interest rates stabilize as nation reaffirms debt that had been repudiated by the former tyrant. Mother of former tyrant hides from press. What is she hiding? Son of former tyrant arrested for trying to set up second six thousand year reign of terror.

;)

I tend to play by "honorable rules". I keep my reputation relatively clean, if possible. The reputation-damaging actions (RoP rape, etc.) seem to me to be borderline exploits. Of course, I only play Monarch and below, so I haven't needed the "edge" they can give. ;)

It doesn't matter to me, really. I see something that will benefit me in the long run, and i feel i can win, i attack. Once i the French gracious with me, and it turns out everyone had one coal, except me. So guess what? That ended being mine, and not through trading!

Rep means nothing to me so long as I possess the means to crush the opposition. I'll kiss or kick *ss when the situation warrants. Otherwise I'm spending time building stuff. I tell you, if it's not a formidable army, or improvements to help build one, I get bored.

Reputation only matters when you're not looking to get into any kind of war any time soon.

I play at monarch level. I keep my reputation clean throughout the game, never starting a war. I also trade something (at least a map) with _every_ civilization _every_ turn once I have mapmaking. I usually control the game by late middle ages. I find that I can usually steal all the resources I need. I usually fight 2-3 wars at most and win peacefully in the early modern period.

Originally posted by herwin
I play at monarch level. I keep my reputation clean throughout the game, never starting a war. I also trade something (at least a map) with _every_ civilization _every_ turn once I have mapmaking. I usually control the game by late middle ages. I find that I can usually steal all the resources I need. I usually fight 2-3 wars at most and win peacefully in the early modern period.

You win it easily every time? You obviously outgrew monarch. Go start on emperor! Am I talking to myself now? :rolleyes:

I usually have the same strategy as herwin. I never seem to need aluminum and uranium, because the game ends before that.

Top Bottom