RR11 - Takeshi's castle

We can build samurai until we get either Grens or infantry at this point, so we can do the CR III trick ( in spite of CR III gunpowder units being IMHO a little overrated ).

Well, we will have to visit Monty sooner or later, but we will need some transport to get there and that will take time to build. So, the options are Arabia and Mongolia at this point.

Pros and cons of both:

Arabia is closer of our army at this time, but it is highly spread ( from Tunisia to Khybar pass ) and we don't want much of it ( Mecca, Baghdad, Cairo and not much more ( maybe Aksum to allow more control on the Nile floodplains ) ). It would require either a slug pace land advance to the targets or a naval move on both the Persian gulf and the Red Sea, with a navy we don't have at this time. It would have the big plus of erasing China for good, btw.

Mongolia ... well, They got some land we want, especially the shrine they got from the chinese ( and some good land in Manchuria and eastern siberia ), but our nicely promoted units are in India and will take quite a while to redeploy them to the north. But in it self it would be a splendid little war ( except if GK decides to peacevassal to some European trash :p ) ... the issue is that we would have to redeploy again to India to push to Europe ( Siberia is NOT friendly to a advance like that ... no roads, lots of forests ... ).

Decisions, decisions ...

On technological decisions:

We are going, and well, to RR. Next in line IMHO is lining to Communism ( SP FTW )and then ... then we have 2 options: going arty or going infantry. Both have pros and cons ... Anyway, that is not for now.

Good job on the GT. If we move the rice to Lin'An we can draft one rifle per turn for some time while we build cannons elsewhere, as lymond suggested.... as soon as we have enough military to have a siberian stack and a middle eastern stack ( and enough prod for replacements ), we have this game won.

Are taking vassals a possibility for this game or do we just want to eliminate everybody? Reason I ask is that with the draft and awesome Toku rifles, we might be able to fight a 2 front war on Arabia and Mongolia. We can just focus on taking the good core of Arabian cities and then take him as a vassal and leave him the rest. Might make a nice buffer zone to Europe. Mongolia would probably just be a matter of finding his main stack and letting him suicide against our rifles and then take him out completely.

Maybe the Main Island can focus on naval units in the meantime - build drydocks in all 3 cities and build up a navy.

I guess CRIII gunpowder might be a little overrated simply because of cannon, arty and planes.

As we already have a vassal I don't see why we can't take more... It would certainly speed things up on the road to conquest. Capping Arabia would be great, Sal is one of the few AIs with a fairly large empire and getting it all ourselves will cost needless time that we could use to push forward to Euope, while as mentioned considerable part of his empire is pretty crappy anyway. So given the opportunity I'd certainly cap him.

I think we should be able to take out Genghis fairly soon with newly built/drafted units in our core. I'd certainly not redeploy the forces in and near Bombay. Although once we have railroad, transportation will obviously be much less of a pain, but will take at least another set. Maybe I'd wait a bit with Arabia until we have more rifles and cannons ready. Once the Mongolian campaign is done we should have a railroad ready in southern asia to redeploy the Mongolian veterans to backup the forces that have started by then in Arabia (take China down meanwhile). Follow through to Europe. Probably take Russia through the Caucasus, or somewhere from his south. Might work better than slow marching from Mongolia. Russia is another candidate that would be nice to be vassaled given his size and probably crappy quality of a lot of cities.

Even better is to hit Russia in 2 spots simultaneously - the Caucasus and Siberia.

Well, I think that the order to attack should be something like this:

- Genghis. Targets are the ex-chinese shrine and the good cities Genghis got in manchuria and eastern Siberia. Then vassal.

- Arabia + China ( we can swap them with Genghis or do the 2 wars at the same time if the situation is right ). We want the Chinese done and Mecca, Baghdad, Cairo and Aksum. Then vassal .

- Bizantium. I would let them alone for some more time if they didn't had conquered Jerusalem, but we want that city badly ( both because of the double shrine and of the fact that we can't build Suez canal with the bizantine cultural pressure in the area ). I'm debating with myself if we want Constantinople of if it is better to let it in the hands of Justinian after vassaling him.

-Somewhere in between all of this, make a visit to the Inca and the Aztec. Incan land, as we know, is pure crap, but the northern america is a completely diferent issue. And the fact is that the aztecs, unlike in our Incan game, seem to have captured the N.American barb cities soon enough and we should have some nice cities in the Mississipi plains to grab. I don't think that vassaling them or not will make any diference in the big plan of the things.

By the time we do all of this, we will be more than ready to make the final push to Europe: control of the Bosphorus, Suez allowing our navy to pour directly on to the Med and the black sea, control of all the African and American powers and most likely more than enough power to strike both from Siberia, Anatolia, the Med and Africa. End game :D

On a unrelated note, we should make sure we have atleast one budhist monastery ( I don't have the game in hand , so I can't confirm ) . There are no more budhist cities to the west and we are running Theo , so we have all the interest to convert some cities.

Ok looking at the save I would say that Ghengiz is the best target first. But we have one problem, we're woefully lacking in siege.

So I'd like to spend the ten turns building up our forces (mainly because the last set I played for PSGS2 was a monster one) and get some siege cranked out with our already ample gropo units (Sams and Rifles should be way superior to what Ghengiz is packing). So build mostly siege where I can.

On tech I'll stick to the RR plan, won't get there but will get Steam and most of Steel at minimum.

The buddhist mon can go in Benares and we could put a Hindu one in Ujjian as we've none of them either.

Mansa will trade his gems for a copper, I wouldn't mind that trade as it gives us happy and is pretty useless to him (as he's got muskets). Justy will do wine for clam (his wine) which should only annoy Sally so I'd like that one too. And I think it has been mentioned but Qin will give steel for Democracy which may also be worth it.

Yup, we're lacking heavily in siege and OFC the lion shre of the siege we have will have to go south ( in the literal sense, OFC :D ). If we want to go against genghis in the next 20 turns or so, we will have to go human wave on them ... art imitating life, I guess :p

So we are preparing war against 3 foes : OCC China, Saladin ( that still spaws from Tunisia to our western border ) and Genghis. Genghis and China will be easy and will not need much of buildup, but Saladin is another issue. We will need, besides cannons, galleons and frigates ( otherwise we will have to slog through Persia, Arabia, Palestine and Mesopotamia before we go to Cairo ). We will also need the galleons and the frigates to give monty and HC a visit, so they are not a one shot thing ...

I'm Ok with the deals proposed ... just check if we keep a copper to us for the SoL. A hindi monastery is nice ... but the real important one is the budhist one. if you find the time and the resources , a confu one will be nice as well.

I think we have four coppers, definitely we have multiples, not quite that stupid, yet.

I'll look around to see if we can get a confused monastery too. But Hindi would be a better spread, being also in Benares IIRC.

Just a insurance ... don't be offended :D My already long Civ IV experience, especially in the SG area, already taught me that people are prone to make quixotic plans because they forget a minimal detail ( like some grandiose scheme to bulb Gunpowder that required to skip both Edu and Guilds or ( this one is mine :blush: ) making a detailed analysis of the odds of getting a wonder while not remembering what the wonder effects were :D ) ;)

Xtian and Muslim are already highly spread so, we will not need those ... well, we will probably only have our first xtian city after getting Sci met anyway ...

Like I said, try to get a handful of frigates and galleons as well, especially the first ( coastal bombing while we slog by the desert might be our only realistical option in our Arabian war )

Not to worry on the offence, it'd be something I'd be worried about too.

Also it took me about 30 seconds to work out "xtian".

I'm going to delay this by a day, I feel like I'm coming down with something heavy and cannot think, let alone do justice to the set at the moment.

Hope you feel better, BS. It's not that Irish weather is it? :)

No that is suprisingly good at the moment. I think it is just a hangover from the cold I had over the last few weeks.

No that is suprisingly good at the moment. I think it is just a hangover from the cold beer I had over the last few weeks.
Fixed it for you ;)

Hopefully it is nothing serious. Get better as fast as possible.

It's nothing much, just I am getting incredibly tired early the last few nights, and my thinking goes out the window at those times.

Ok game is played. It was a nice quiet turnset for me. I've built a nice few rifles, some cannon (5 so far), and have started the river cities with production (i.e. most of them) on Levees.

I have also designated the most promising shipyards IMO, which are Heian-Kyo, Hakata, Delhi and eventually Pagan and Tanjore.

I whipped the Globe in Lin'an earliesh and am drafting every two turns atm. This is keeping 13-14 pop in that city.

Main stack is in Bombay, with cannons filtering towards it from Hanoi and Ujjian at the moment, Benares can start on cannons after it's levee.
Dongjiang is building cannons for Ghengiz and Lin'an for Qin. Chengdu is contributing with 6 turn rifles.

I was leery of whipping a few places early on due to stacked anger and some cities near happy caps but I have done some in: Lin'an, Delhi (twice), Benares, Hakata, Seoul, Heian-kyo, Changsha and a wb in Guangzhou (a barb galley came from Mindanao to pillage the clams, no fog sight).

Trades: I pulled the Gems>Copper (we had two), Wine>Clam and Steel (+40g)>Demo trades. At the end Mansa asked for Astro for Corp and 90g (I got world map too) which I took as Wall Street will be nice in Benares).

Oh, and why did we have two trebs in Kamchatka, they are now in Pyongyang.

As regards the war Russia will peace and give 20 gold while HRE will give 25gold. Spain and Vikings won't peace now. I have not pulled trades yet.

What screenshots I took were trades so I probably won't upload.

Hypatia was born this turn. She's 1NW of Guangzhou for what we want to do. SoL is two turns away and whippable @5pop.

Attachments

• RR11 - Takeshi's Castle AD-1750.CivBeyondSwordSave
    614.3 KB · Views: 71
Oh, and why did we have two trebs in Kamchatka, they are now in Pyongyang.
I took a galley north to explore the area, without realizing it had 2 trebs in it. I didn't notice until a treb auto-unloaded on shore, seems I misclicked on a land tile instead of a sea tile. Not that that matters much if you're galley is empty, right? ;) As the unit was there anyways decided to walk towards the icey north to explore the map a bit more.

I gave a skim look to the sava and it looks good enough for starting the war atleast vs genghis.

Will say more after giving it a proper look. We have to define clearly what we want from genghis as well, now that we have a better idea of what he holds in the hand

I think we're ready for both wars: against Sal as well as against Ghengis. Only danger that remains is a russian or HR stack!
Nonetheless I'd suggest to use our money on upgrading our siege and some more stackdefenders!

BTW: As it seems domination is on isn't it? That would mean we really need to think about vassaling our foes. Maybe we should take out the whole american continent.. :p

Top Bottom